Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

What a funny letter, it looks so cute

Cifi

What a funny letter, it looks so cute

Post by Cifi »

I found this one today in "Η πρώτη ημέρα του Μαΐου".
ΐ
While I knew the two dots as in indication to separately pronounce a vowel (e.g. in Spanish "pingüino") and the accent mark on stressed syllables, I have never seen them combined before. Isn't it lovely?

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

LICA98
Finland

Re: What a funny letter, it looks so cute

Post by LICA98 »

you should try Vietnamese then, they have loads of letters with combined diacritics

sotos_greece
Greece

Post by sotos_greece »

UPDATE (30+ years now)
Due to the new "monotonic system" of writing which is now the current system in Greece
(prior to the "polytonic" which some use a lot and is not foul to use it)
When a words that intonates and must have those "two upper dots" (διαλυτικά), then those "two upper dots" (διαλυτικά) are omitted.
for e.g. "Μαίου" is the correct. not the "Μαΐου"
But in word "Υϊός" (=the son) the intonation is on "ό" so the "two upper dots" (διαλυτικά) stay in place on the " ϊ "
another example is ofc "κορονοϊός" (corona-virus) :-) (...away from us...)

(btw. i am NO teacher)

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

sotos_greece wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 9:42 pm

UPDATE (30+ years now)
Due to the new "monotonic system" of writing which is now the current system in Greece
When a words that intonates and must have those "two upper dots" (διαλυτικά), then those "two upper dots" (διαλυτικά) are omitted.
But in word "Υϊός" (=the son) the intonation is on "ό" so the "two upper dots" (διαλυτικά) stay in place on the " ϊ "

so what is this then?
https://el.wikipedia.org/wiki/1_Μαΐου

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

UPDATE (30+ years now)

They are omitted only when the accent is on α. For example, γάιδαρος (donkey). In this case, there's no need to include them because the accent mark on α indicates that we don't have the digraph αι (/e/). So, Μάιος doesn't take διαλυτικά (diaeresis) in nominative case, but in genitive case they are mandatory (Μαΐου = /ma'i.u/), otherwise we would pronounce it /'me.u/ (Μαίου). : )

See the following two sentences.
Θέλω να φάω παιδάκια. vs. Θέλω να φάω παϊδάκια.

---

"Υϊός" is not correct, because υι is a digraph, pronounced as one phoneme. It's υιός (/iˈos/ = son). On the other hand, κορονοϊός takes the diaeresis because we don't have the digraph οι. It's a compound noun from the words κορόνα (corona) and ιός (virus).

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

sotos_greece
Greece

Post by sotos_greece »

[
p.s. "Υϊός" IS correct on ALL polytonic and ALL religional and ancient texts.
Ofc, grammar has disputes over time ... that's it how it evolves.
Btw.. 40 years of Monotonic system can NOT erase 3000 years of polytonics . Let's not open this Aeolus sack of winds eh ?
:)
]

(btw. i am NO teacher)

Return to “Greek”