Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Il accueille ses amis

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

Jim606185
Australia

Il accueille ses amis

Post by Jim606185 »

I thought that this could mean both "he is hosting his friends" (His friends are staying with him) and "he is welcoming his friends", although the latter is marked wrong by Duolingo. (but that's not my concern.)

(Apart from that, "hosting" is a bit formal for the sentence. You could say that the college is hosting a symposium, or that Belgium will be hosting the competition, but usually we'd use the Americanism - "He has friends over" or he has friends staying with him.) <- that's a side issue. My main intent is to learn French, not to criticise the use of English by Duolingo. Frustrating as it is sometimes, we have to accept that some things are never going to translate neatly. That's part of the fun.

L'accueil is also used for the reception at a business or a museum for example.

I'm trying to get a sense of the usage of accueillir in French. I think I understand it, but it would be good if a native French speaker could explain its use. There isn't a direct equivalent in English. You don't "welcome" someone for several days and to "receive" guests is something out of Downton Abbey. Maybe accomodate can be used in some cases.

"Il accueille ses amis" - Is this equivalent to "Ses amis demeurent avec lui" or "(ce matin) Il a des amis chez lui" (and I know that it's bad French) maybe to show them his new apartment, or is it both?

Native English Speaker. Currently studying French, German (basic), Dutch (Beginner), Italian (Intermediate), Russian (basic), Chinese (beginner), Scottish Gaelic (Intermediate), Norwegian (Basic)
Ic rǣde englisc spræce.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Re: Il accueille ses amis

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Both "accueillir" and "accueil" have many senses. Have a look at them and check the different translations into English below.

https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/accueillir
https://fr.wiktionary.org/wiki/accueil

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

Return to “Sentence discussions”