Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Iyi bir kariyeri var -> accusative?

Alex
Germany

Iyi bir kariyeri var -> accusative?

Post by Alex »

Hi,

can someone explain to me why accusative and not genitive has to be used here? I read an article about Turkish accusative and it said you can generally find the accusative by formulating a question about who (kimi) or what (ney) in a sentence but I fail to do so. If I'm right, the Turkish sentence construction is closer to 'your good career exists' when literally translated to English and in this case I'd rather ask 'whose career is good?' which hints towards genitive.

Can someone shed some light on this?

O.Zoe
Greece

Re: Iyi bir kariyeri var -> accusative?

Post by O.Zoe »

"kariyeri" is in genitive in this sentence. "İyi bir kariyeri var" literally means "his/her good career exists" = "He/She has a good career". The noun in nominative case is "kariyer". And then, for genitive, we have

[benim] kariyerim
[senim] kariyerin
[onun] kariyeri
[bizim] kariyerimiz
[sizin] kariyeriniz
[onların] kariyeri

The accusative of "kariyer" is also "kariyeri", but when we want to express ownership and we use "var", we need to use genitive case, as you said.

Last edited by O.Zoe on Sun Sep 04, 2022 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

Alex
Germany

Re: Iyi bir kariyeri var -> accusative?

Post by Alex »

Ah, thanks a lot. That makes sense. I'm not that familiar with the Turkish genitive yet and thought it's formed differently.

Return to “Turkish”