Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Well, it happened. Duolingo changed.

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Well, it happened. Duolingo changed.

Post by ElmerRamone »

I opened my duolingo page today and didn't recognize it. The new linear child-oriented pathway has replaced the tried and true method that I liked. Since I finished the tree to gold, I can no longer go back and practice anything AT ALL! Unless I want to make them legendary. I was in the process of reviewing things by practicing the whole tree from the beginning, and had gotten to level three. Now I'm completely locked out of any kind of random practice. This is awful! The practice repetition was really helping me cement things in my brain. and now it's not available. I contacted Duo and complained, but I don't suppose that will do any good. I'm heartbroken about this. What are the rest of you doing?

buho

Re: Well, it happened. Duolingo changed.

Post by buho »

are you on android? If so, have you tried downgrading the app(you can download a previous version from trusted sites like apkpure.com)?
Because I'm guessing they can't push the new layout without an app upgrade(unless their app is just a wrapper around webview).

if that doesn't work, then you can use the web version(install it as PWA to get a native app like feel).

as for complaining to duolingo, they won't give a damn unless it hurts their bottomline.

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Post by ElmerRamone »

buho wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:56 pm

are you on android? If so, have you tried downgrading the app(you can download a previous version from trusted sites like apkpure.com)?
Because I'm guessing they can't push the new layout without an app upgrade(unless their app is just a wrapper around webview).

if that doesn't work, then you can use the web version(install it as PWA to get a native app like feel).

as for complaining to duolingo, they won't give a damn unless it hurts their bottomline.

I'm web-only. Don't use the app. And I hate to expose my tech-insufficiency, but I didn't understand a thing you said. I looked at downloading the suggested older version, but they wanted to change my default browser and I didn't want to do that. And I don't know what a PWA is. Sorry.

buho

Post by buho »

ElmerRamone wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 4:33 pm

I'm web-only. Don't use the app.

They pushed it on the web too? I thought it was an app thing. that's a bummer!

I looked at downloading the suggested older version, but they wanted to change my default browser and I didn't want to do that.

that shouldn't happen.

And I don't know what a PWA is.

progressive web apps(PWA) is a feature in many browsers that lets you use the website in a more app-like layout (without the browser address bar and stuff).
it appears like this:

but it doesn't matter now as duolingo has already messed with the web version.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

well I still have the old version 😬

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

ElmerRamone wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:06 pm

Now I'm completely locked out of any kind of random practice. This is awful! The practice repetition was really helping me cement things in my brain. and now it's not available. I contacted Duo and complained, but I don't suppose that will do any good. I'm heartbroken about this. What are the rest of you doing?

Luckily I don't have it yet. It's very likely that I'm going to dislike it. The freedom to decide what I want to learn or practise next has always been something I really appreciated about Duolingo. And I would complain, too (but without expecting any feedback).

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

I don't know if that's your cup of tea, but I used Kwiziq along with Duolingo when I was learning Spanish (I kind of still am, but with less focus on it), and I enjoyed it. It is quite different, and the free plan is limited, so it is not likely to be an adequate replacement, but may be worth a try.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

LICA98 wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:41 am

well I still have the old version 😬

Me too! :ugeek:

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

How do they decide who gets the new version and who doesn't? I haven't used DL for four or five months but just checked and I still have the old tree on the web version.

I'm surprised they don't just change it all in one got for everyone

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

wayfarer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:00 pm

How do they decide who gets the new version and who doesn't? I haven't used DL for four or five months but just checked and I still have the old tree on the web version.

usually it's the newer users who get the new versions first

like same way when they were adding health to the apps the people who registered recently got it first and those who were here for a long time were the last ones

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

You can use the graph "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" , here: https://duome.eu/dalibornovy/progress/

Put your Duolingo name instead of "dalibornovy" and place this link in your browser's favorite links. The bars in the graph are clickable. If you are logged in to the Duolingo website, you can click on one of them to start practicing. You can also choose skills from the list below. This way you can practice what you need or want, however, you cannot make a progress in the course.

Native: 🇨🇿ㅤ Learning: 🇺🇸 🇫🇷DuomeDuolingoDuoBooster

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Post by ElmerRamone »

DaliborNovy wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 5:48 pm

You can use the graph "XP per Skill (4 weeks)" , here: https://duome.eu/dalibornovy/progress/

Put your Duolingo name instead of "dalibornovy" and place this link in your browser's favorite links. The bars in the graph are clickable. If you are logged in to the Duolingo website, you can click on one of them to start practicing. You can also choose skills from the list below. This way you can practice what you need or want, however, you cannot make a progress in the course.

Thanks for this. The graphs do indeed work for practice purposes, although they don't show the whole tree. And when I click on any of the skills below, they just bring me to the legendary challenge for that skill. There's no real practice opportunity there other than that. It seems Duo is hell-bent on preventing random practicing. For whatever reason.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]ElmerRamone[/mention] You can click on the graph even if you do not have a bar there. So you can practice any skill.

Yes, if you had 5 crowns, after clicking on the skill below, you can make Legendary. If you do not have lingots (or you have less than 10), it is free. Even if you still have the tree system. After finishing the Legendary level, you can also practice normally by clicking on the skill in the list.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

LICA98 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:05 pm
wayfarer wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:00 pm

usually it's the newer users who get the new versions first

like same way when they were adding health to the apps the people who registered recently got it first and those who were here for a long time were the last ones

Yes, because we wouldn't like to have to change!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

justheaven

Post by justheaven »

Got the update too (on web). It's absolutely unusable, for me at least. I can't believe how they made something that was so simple and customizable to fit everyone's learning style into something forcing everyone into one learning model. Not being able to practice finished skills is the most ridiculous idea ever. (I know you can access practice from your duome profile, THANKGOD! but trying to find these workarounds is exhausting). Not to mention the "path" is ENDLESS and scrolling so much makes my poor computer lag like crazy. Ugh.

Anyway, here's how to get the old tree back, a workaround that I found on reddit: Log in using this: https://api.duolingo.com/

and you'll get the old design. I've tried this only on my computer so I don't know how it works on other devices.

N🇧🇬 A2:es: C1:us:
"That youngster's naturalness is impressive."Duolingo

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

[mention]justheaven[/mention] Very well! Yes, this is how we can even make progress in the course if it is not completed.

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Post by ElmerRamone »

DaliborNovy wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:48 pm

@ElmerRamone You can click on the graph even if you do not have a bar there. So you can practice any skill.

Yes, if you had 5 crowns, after clicking on the skill below, you can make Legendary. If you do not have lingots (or you have less than 10), it is free. Even if you still have the tree system. After finishing the Legendary level, you can also practice normally by clicking on the skill in the list.

Since my tree was gold, I have lots of lingots. So nothing is free. And when I click on one of the skills that I already brought to Legendary, it brings me back to the new path, not to the skill that I clicked on. Thanks for the help.

ElmerRamone
United States of America

Post by ElmerRamone »

Anyway, here's how to get the old tree back, a workaround that I found on reddit: Log in using this: https://api.duolingo.com/

and you'll get the old design. I've tried this only on my computer so I don't know how it works on other devices.
[/quote]

This works like a charm! The old tree in all its beauty! Thank you so much!

9/10/22: Well, even this doesn't work anymore. I had a good run with it, but when I tried it last night, it led me to the new and unimproved pathway. I'm so frustrated I could spit. (On Duo, that mean, mean owl.)

Edit: 9/10/22: I just discovered that I can go back to any circle on my tree , as long as it's not leveled up to legendary, and practice it. I'm pretty sure I couldn't do that before. Has Duo actually listened? (I guess I won't be leveling up anymore skills, so that I can keep them open for review.)

Last edited by ElmerRamone on Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Great to know about this workaround. Let's hope they don't remove it anytime soon.

DaliborNovy
Czech Republic

Post by DaliborNovy »

ElmerRamone wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:23 am

Since my tree was gold, I have lots of lingots. So nothing is free.

Yes, it is only free if you do not have lingots (or less than 10). In the list, you have to click on the left icon, not on the key or text.

Anyway, the final solution is here, thanks [mention]justheaven[/mention]

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

I took the test to jump to unit 55 in the French single path. Everything above that unit is now golden, except for the first 2 units which are legendary blue. Duome shows all the skills between "Opinion" and "Shopping 4" are now at level 3 (red), except for the grammar skills, which only have 2 levels, at level 2 (gold). However, some skills before that, between "Groceries" and "Leisure", are still at level 1 (light blue). I only have level 5 (gold) in the same skills I had before the introduction of the single path. My crown count in Duome increased, but the single path doesn't show it.

I also tried the legendary challenge in the single path. I only got 40 XP, while doing it from Duome I also get 5 bonus XP (or less if I make mistakes) for a total of 45 XP. Duome raw data doesn't recognize the language and skill of the legendary challenge I did in the single path, but it does recognize the ones I did from Duome.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

luciennet
France

Post by luciennet »

So is it possible that there are some changes in the api that duome isn’t configured for - that duolingo may still be covering all five crown levels, the extra crown levels wrapped into ‘legendary’ at the end of the unit or elsewhere in the course, and duome stats not correct?

Or does duolingo no longer think that we need to do so many levels? Each skill also has multiple related skills - Travel, Travel 2, etc

Darvince

Post by Darvince »

justheaven wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:16 pm

Thank you for this! I was so upset and confused today when I opened Duo that I registered on this forum looking for solutions. After visiting several pages it abruptly updated on me, and I saw that it was that entirely new path. I was about to quit if there wasn't a way to get back the tree, even though I haven't reached the end a single course and still have 30% of the Spanish tree to go.

EN Native | ES Intermediate | RU Less than A1 :lol:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Thankyou [mention]justheaven[/mention] and [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] !

For this and the many other resources and assistance you post in these forums.

I don't know what I would do with out the things you do.

I am currently, once again, ever so angry at Duolingo. And I am one that I consider likes change and new challenges.

Yet I am getting sick and tiered of how Duolingo treats its content and its learners. I was prepared to put up with it in the past, as I saw it as an emerging company, one that was seeking to find the best solutions to things.

Now I am beginning to feel it is turning into a standard company full of marketing magic and hocky pocky.
And removing control from everyone. From learners to educators.

Relying on what it sees as its market dominance and fooled by its own spin of how wonderful it is.

And closes its ears to criticism or listening to the needs, and also the diverse needs of learners and educators.

Thanks for letting me get this off my chest.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I also want to thank [mention]ElmerRamone[/mention] for posting this, and the contributions of others.

As well as you all (I hope) are putting up with my frustration at how to use the system within the changes.

I am currently focusing on the French course for English speakers.
And lets say, within that course I have identified I wish to direct the learning of a student, or a class, or even lets say myself, on to the lesson that uses words for banking.

I identify this skill as being :

It means that if you / your students already have access to that skill, they will then be able to do that skill, and do it as often as they like - by clicking on the link.

If you / your student(s) don't yet have access to that skill, as they have not progressed that far along the path, Duolingo will present them with a test that they must pass to allow them access to that level, to open that skill.

Once that test is passed, then the user / learner will have access to that skill.

So - the new design of the Duolingo Schools platform can be very useful to help you identify the skills you wish to focus the attention of the class on. To identify the link, and then share that link outside of Duolingo for the user / learners to use.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

If any educators / self motivated learners want further assistance at to how to identify the skill relevant for where you are wishing to direct study, feel free to ask me. And if I have time I would love to assist you.

Brila
Great Britain

Post by Brila »

I was learning Italian. Now the tree has changed and I suddenly have a lot of new vocabulary but not flagged up as new. It seems the tree thinks I have learnt these words already. So have they rearranged the course content as well as “streamlining” the tree? I don’t know what I’ve missed. Would rather not restart the whole thing…

Also, completed Latin to legendary, but it looks incomplete now - has this course been extended? Would be great, but doesn’t look right.

Thanks!

water_color

Post by water_color »

Today, I opened it and suddenly the old tree changed to the new path even there. It seems it doesn't work anymore, so we need some other ways to get the old tree back, e.g. downloading some old version of the app.

Actually I'm not so against the new learning path, it is even better if you are learning a language from the very beginning, but in some other cases (e.g. if you are reviewing certain stuff from a course you already finished before, or you are doing a reverse tree) the old tree is better, so I really dislike that they don't want to give us a way to use it.

Last edited by water_color on Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

water_color wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:30 pm

Today, I opened it and suddenly the old tree changed to the new path even there. It seems it doesn't work anymore, so we need some other ways to get the old tree back, e.g. downloading some old version of the app.

Actually I'm not so against the new learning path, it is even better if you are learning a language from the very beginning, but in some other cases (e.g. if you are reviewing certain stuff from a course you already finished before, or you are doing a reverse tree) the old tree is better, so I really dislike that they don't want to give us a way to use it.

I use 3.106.5, it's the last one with the old design (i.e. no cartoons) and no hearts/health

(you can get it from here)

water_color

Post by water_color »

LICA98 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:52 pm

I use 3.106.5, it's the last one with the old design (i.e. no cartoons) and no hearts/health

(you can get it from here)

Does voice recognition work properly in this version of the app? Because before I had a problem with installing older versions of the app: voice recognition either didn't work at all (so I had to disable speaking exercises to finish the lesson, because they were always marked wrong), or it always accepted them as right even if I was saying something random instead of what I was supposed to say.

Return to “Duolingo”