Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Lightning Calculations

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Lightning Calculations

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

[mention]mathemajician[/mention] maybe forgive me for this cheeky post but i noticed your username in my mentions today. I have a book called mathemagics by a famous lightning calculator and wondered if you can do lightning calculations…regardless love the username and glad to see you active here.

Things people think can only be done by people with special talent are sometimes skills anyone can acquire. Lightning calculation is one of those things. (Also i think anyone can be a polyglot. 😉)

🇺🇦

Jacko079
United States of America

Re: Lightning Calculations

Post by Jacko079 »

Ever read Cheaper by the dozen? This topic reminded me of the book, because one of the children in it could figure out math problems as fast as a calculator.

Besides that, the book is one of the most humorous books I’ve read! I love reading through it, as well as it’s sequel!

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Jacko079 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:22 am

Ever read Cheaper by the dozen? This topic reminded me of the book, because one of the children in it could figure out math problems as fast as a calculator.

Besides that, the book is one of the most humorous books I’ve read! I love reading through it, as well as it’s sequel!

Thank you. I have not. And I don’t think I’ve seen any of the film adaptations either. Sounds like a great read and something I would personally enjoy reading though. Now the name did ring a bell and it’s because I once read an article which talks about the parents in that family. Here is that article:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009 ... ot-so-fast

🇺🇦

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

panyamnyenyekevu wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 12:23 pm
Jacko079 wrote: Sat Jun 11, 2022 11:22 am

Thank you. I have not. And I don’t think I’ve seen any of the film adaptations either. Sounds like a great read and something I would personally enjoy reading though. Now the name did ring a bell and it’s because I once read an article which talks about the parents in that family. Here is that article:

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009 ... ot-so-fast

Interesting article!

I haven’t seen the film adaptation either of Cheaper by the dozen. I must admit, if the movie is different than the book, I usually don’t enjoy the movie. Same with say, Laura Ingalls Wilder, the movie is very, very different than the book.

Usually it seems, the books are better than the movies made from them.

I apologize for the mini rant. :)

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] not at all i’m a book over movie person…Biopic Isadora I saw before reading the autobiography but continue to love the movie.

🇺🇦

mathemajician
United States of America

Post by mathemajician »

I wouldn't say lightning calculations but I absolutely do use algebra, as he does, to do rapid calculations and simplifications. For example, when he squares 103 he is clearly doing 1002 + 2x100x3 + 32 and the reason it's easy is because you don't even need to do any carrying. I don't make it a huge part of the class but I do show it when I'm teaching basic math classes for STEM majors, as well. A lot of our students will transfer to schools where calculators aren't allowed in math classes so they need to have a reasonable competency in arithmetic.

I agree with you completely on the topic of whether people can acquire it. Precise lightning calculation isn't as necessary anymore but being able to quickly whip out a reasonable estimate OR to know "wait a minute, that can't be right" when your calculator spits out something unreasonable are hugely important skills, and most people (barring specific math-related learning disabilities such as dyscalculia) can acquire it. Unfortunately a lot of people have such bad experiences with math in elementary school that it really puts them off the topic :(

On a side note, Cheaper by the dozen is an absolutely fabulous book, as is the sequel, Belles on their toes. I recommend both of them highly. They are somewhat dated as you might expect (given as the majority of the events took place before the first world war) but hold up much better than other books written about that time. My mother (who also loved the book as a child) mentioned that the first time she went to the Society of Women Engineers headquarters in NYC and saw a picture of Lillian Moller Gilbreth on the wall, her jaw dropped and "wait, she's REAL?!" Frankly, I find her even more interesting than her husband.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] Didn't know Cheaper by the Dozen was a true story. Wasn't too impressed by the movie. I'll have to read the book, they're usually better. Talking about large families, have you read The family nobody wanted? [mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention] The maths is amazing! It is amazing that I can discuss these things with you guys here! I guess it seems like we are a bunch of nerds. :geek:

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

@Jacko079 Didn't know Cheaper by the Dozen was a true story. Wasn't too impressed by the movie. I'll have to read the book, they're usually better. Talking about large families, have you read The family nobody wanted?

I have!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] Wow!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] Re: Cheaper by the dozen

Here's the instructions in it for two fairly elemental examples.

To multiply forty-six times forty-five, you figure out how much greater forty six is than twenty five. The answer is twenty-one. Then you figure out how much less forty-six is than fifty. The answer is four. You can square the four and get sixteen. You put the twenty-one and the sixteen together, and the answer is twenty-one, sixteen, or 2,116.

To multiply forty-four times forty-four, you figure how much greater forty-four is than twenty-five. The answer is nineteen. The you figure how much less forty-for is than fifty. The answer is six. You square the siz and get thirty-six. You put the nineteen and thirty-six together and the answer is nineteen, thirty six, or 1936. Page 47 or thereabouts depending on the version from Cheaper by the Dozen by Gilbreth and Gilbreth.

Return to “Random Thoughts”