Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Luo names of birth

Corinnebelle

Luo names of birth

Post by Corinnebelle »

Found these words in a magazine I was reading. Thought it was interesting how Luo people name their children depending on when they were born!

African words.jpg
African words.jpg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 479 times

Source

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Re: Luo names of birth

Post by ararat-tempest »

this reminds me of some Japanese family names. like, 田中、 田之中 (in the field);井上 (above/on the well);木下 (under the tree)... or maybe some specific places like, 徳島 (tokushima)、福島 (fukushima), etc...

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇻🇳🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

@ararat-tempest I only recognized the character 徳 immediately - but not in connection with a japanese city name

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

ararat-tempest
St Helena

Post by ararat-tempest »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:46 pm

@ararat-tempest I only recognized the character 徳 immediately - but not in connection with a japanese city name

there are both 徳島県 and 徳島市.

native: 🇨🇳 a teacher of: 🇺🇸🇯🇵 primary: 🇳🇴🇩🇰🇸🇪🇫🇮🇮🇩🇳🇱🇭🇹🇪🇸🇧🇷🇮🇹🇫🇷Image secondary: 🇻🇳🇰🇷🇹🇷🇨🇿ImageImage planned: ImageImage🇪🇪🇮🇸🇫🇴🇱🇨🇨🇼🇿🇦🇹🇱🇱🇺🇰🇮🇲🇾🇸🇰🇲🇪🇧🇦🇷🇸🇭🇷🇬🇱

Return to “Languages not yet covered...”