Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Reading the "desculpe" thread elsewhere (possibly Spanish)

Moderator: Explorer

John Little
Brazil

Reading the "desculpe" thread elsewhere (possibly Spanish)

Post by John Little »

The word desculpe in portugues seems to be used for both "sorry" and "forgive" and I haven't made sense of that. Can anyone help?

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Re: Reading the "desculpe" thread elsewhere (possibly Spanish)

Post by John Little »

Interesting that bing translates "desculpe" in Spanish as "blame" (which fits the thread) but in portugues it means "sorry".... ... And apparently "forgive"

John661162

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

John Little wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:27 am

The word desculpe in portugues seems to be used for both "sorry" and "forgive" and I haven't made sense of that. Can anyone help?

Eu acho que é parecido com o espanhol.

• a palavra desculpe (esp: disculpe; ing: I'm sorry) é mais social, ao interagir com as pessoas, por exemplo, na rua
    – desculpe, eu tropecei
  • a palavra perdão (esp: perdón; ing: forgiveness) é mais pessoal, quando existe um vínculo afetivo, por exemplo com uma amizade
    – perdão, não quis ferir seus sentimentos
  • a frase sinto muito (esp: lo siento mucho; ing: I am very sorry) é usada para mostrar empatia ou quando algo mais sério acontece
    – eu sinto muito sua perda
  • a palavra licença (esp: permiso; ing: excuse me) é usada para solicitar permissão
    – licença, deixa eu passar
  • a frase com licença (esp: con permiso; ing: excuse me) é usada para chamar a atenção
    – com licença, posso passar?

to take the blame = assumir/aceitar a culpa

Talvez esses vídeos possam ajudar:

:hash:  ㆍportuguês ㆍvocabulário

Last edited by gmads on Tue May 09, 2023 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

It's not me. It's duolingo. Can't give an example right now. But when I've put "sorry" I was told it was wrong and it was "forgive. It may have been the phrase:- " she is not going to forgive her husband"

Unless that is a fault on duolingo. The problem is, I don't know enough to argue.

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Found this on the old duolingo forum

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/8521 ... culpo-você

Eu desculpo você = I forgive you

John661162

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

Just had a lesson on desculpar and various conjugations of Ter. (tinha, tive, tivesse, tido) and basically, "desculpar" means to excuse. Só I excuse you and you excuse me. Sorry and forgive.

John661162

Return to “Language”