Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

The evil, the bad, and the ... angry?

David680268
Germany

The evil, the bad, and the ... angry?

Post by David680268 »

Hi all,

could anyone tell us more about the meaning of the word "zły"? It can mean "evil", "bad" and "angry", correct? Duo marked one of my sentences wrong because I wrote "evil" instead of "bad", or maybe the other way round.
I mean it makes quite a difference if someone is "angry" or "evil".
Are there other alternatives that express just one of these two notions?

Maybe the time of my post is not really clever - I am going to France tonight and will probably not respond during the next two weeks or so - but I tend to forget things. :roll: :lol:

Thank you all!

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: The evil, the bad, and the ... angry?

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

David680268 wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:03 am

Hi all,

could anyone tell us more about the meaning of the word "zły"? It can mean "evil", "bad" and "angry", correct? Duo marked one of my sentences wrong because I wrote "evil" instead of "bad", or maybe the other way round.
I mean it makes quite a difference if someone is "angry" or "evil".
Are there other alternatives that express just one of these two notions?

Maybe the time of my post is not really clever - I am going to France tonight and will probably not respond during the next two weeks or so - but I tend to forget things. :roll: :lol:

Thank you all!

Good question
I'd also like to know the answer

..and I would like to go to France too...

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Just looking at at a chat thing here just now, it also seems to mean "difficult", (or perhaps terribly difficult) in the context of something to learn...like Polish hehe! :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Basicallymartel
Poland

Post by Basicallymartel »

Polish person here :)
Generally in Polish the word zły can indeed be used in these two contexts:

• evil or bad (On jest zły - he is evil; he’s a bad person), there’s not really a difference so I’m not sure why it was marked as wrong
  • angry (On jest zły na ciebie - he is angry/mad at you). In this context you could also use the word zdenerwowany.

As for the use of zły as difficult, it wouldn’t sound natural. You would normally use the word trudny (Ten egzamin jest trudny - this exam is difficult) or ciężki which means hard but it could also be used as difficult (ten egzamin jest ciężki - this exam is difficult).

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Basicallymartel wrote: Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:04 pm

Polish person here :)
Generally in Polish the word zły can indeed be used in these two contexts:

• evil or bad (On jest zły - he is evil; he’s a bad person), there’s not really a difference so I’m not sure why it was marked as wrong
  • angry (On jest zły na ciebie - he is angry/mad at you). In this context you could also use the word zdenerwowany.

Thank you for your kind help, [mention]Basicallymartel[/mention], and welcome to the forum! There is really no good way to learn any foreign language without the help from native speakers!

Return to “Language”