Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

OVERVIEW: Links to Dutch grammar explanations Topic is solved

Moderator: Basler Biker

Mackination
United States of America

OVERVIEW: Links to Dutch grammar explanations

Post by Mackination »

Glossary of grammar terms

Basics

1. Grammar: The Dutch alphabet & pronunciation
  2. Grammar: Dutch spelling
  3. Grammar: De/Het/Een
  4. Grammar: Dutch plural nouns
  5. Grammar: “niet” and “geen”
  6. Grammar: Dutch numbers
  7. Grammar: The Dutch prepositions
  8. Grammar: “Er”
  9. Grammar: Diminutives

Word order

1. Grammar: Word order (first steps)
  2. Grammar: Word order (big leaps)

Pronouns

1. Grammar: The Dutch personal pronouns (subject vs. object)
  2. Grammar: Jij vs. Je / Zij vs. Ze / Wij vs. We
  3. Grammar: The possessive pronouns
  4. Grammar: Pronominal adverbs

Adjectives

1. Grammar: Adjectives
  2. Grammar: Comparative and superlative
  3. Grammar: The present participle and the past participle

Verb tenses, moods, and aspects

1. Grammar: The Dutch present simple
  2. Grammar: The Dutch past simple
  3. Grammar: Present perfect
  4. Grammar: The continuous aspect

Verb usage

1. Grammar: Zijn/Zitten/Liggen/Staan
  2. Grammar: Modal verbs
  3. Grammar: Separable verbs
  4. Grammar: Passive voice

External links and sources

Here's a link to an archive of the original page from the Duolingo forums. It was created in 2014, so some links are likely outdated.

Notes

• These links go to archived versions of explanations of grammar terms, which were written to help people learning Dutch via Duolingo's course for English speakers. Originally posted on the Duolingo forums in 2014, these were copied to Duome's forums in early 2022. The forums were removed in March 2022.

• If you have any suggestions for a grammar explanation, or if you have specific grammar questions that aren’t answered here, please start a new thread.

![Duolingo owl in graduation gown and cap](

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: OVERVIEW: Links to Dutch grammar explanations

Post by Basler Biker »

Ik hou erg van de manier waarop dingen zijn gestructureerd en worden "herwerkt" om in duome te passen. Goed gedaan! U kunt eventueel nog andere ideeën opdoen door eens te gaan kijken naar de SE van EN-forum/subforums en het gebruik van TAGS/Trefwoorden
(en ik ben aan het volgen wat er hier zoal gebeurt, en ik zal allicht een aantal van deze ideeën meenemen naar het Zweedse taalforum ;-) als je het niet erg vindt)

Gewoon een ding over trefwoorden - als u van plan bent gebruikers dingen op trefwoord te laten vinden, houd er dan rekening mee dat duome woorden uitsluit die (in het systeem) zijn gedeclareerd als "te vaak" ... als resultaat zijn ze niet geïndexeerd en niet doorzoekbaar. .."grammar" is er zo één, helaas...

I like very much the way things are structured and being "reworked" to fit into duome. Well done!
You may get some more ideas by looking at the SE from EN forum/subforums and the use of TAGS/Keywords
(and I am looking at waht happens here, and for sure will take some of these to the Swedish Language forum ;-) if you don't mind)

Just a thing on Keywords - if you plan to allow users to find things by keyword, note that duome excludes words which are (in the system) declared as "too common"...as a result they are not indexed and not searcheable..."grammar" being one, unfortunately...

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

weerwater

Post by weerwater »

This overview works perfectly. It has the DL feel too. Thank you.

I do have a question that relates to the search option too:
I wonder is there a way to get words or phrases noted by the search engine upon creation of a post?
Perhaps by using # or [] ?
I cannot search for 'verbs', but I could find 'werkwoord' for instance.

Mackination
United States of America

Post by Mackination »

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with this forum software to know.

Incidentally, when I enter "verb" in the search field on this forum, I get this message:

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: verb."

So perhaps that's a sign that the search query is filling itself out as we work?

N 🇺🇸 ADV🇪🇸OK🇳🇱DABBLING🇮🇱🇩🇪

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Mackination wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:58 pm

I'm sorry, but I'm not familiar enough with this forum software to know.

Incidentally, when I enter "verb" in the search field on this forum, I get this message:

"The following words in your search query were ignored because they are too common words: verb."

So perhaps that's a sign that the search query is filling itself out as we work?

The search works on the index, and the index is maintained upon SUBMIT. But common words are simply ignored.
I am not aware of a "marker" that can be used to force the index on a word (unlike say # for a hashtag...)

==> so the trick is to use ^[TAGS] which aren't actual English words, like in Hebrew...e;g. by omitting the vowels,
VRBS would sound anyway the same as verbs. And those tags won't be "ignored" (i.e. will be taken into the search index)

The omission of common words is done at submit and on search. with all the same omission rules. ;-)

Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Er is ook deze site over Nederlandse zinsbouw, een studie door de UCLOUVIN
Catholic Univertity Leuven / Université catholique de Louvain / Katholieke Universiteit leuven.

https://sites.uclouvain.be/gramlink/Gra ... e/menu.htm

De site is niet compleet, want voor een groot deel gebaseerd op Adobe Flash (die niet meer ondersteund wordt)
doch het gedeelte van de studie over de Morfologie zinsbouw is nog compleet raadpleegbaar.
Elk topic is ook als PDF beschikbaar.

Interessant is bv. ook het gebruik, of de keuze van, hebben/zijn in het geval van meerdere werkwoord infinitieven.
Een aanrader om enkele regels daar nog eens na te lezen en te toetsen aan hedendaags gebruik.

Het zou interessant zijn om op z'n minst de PDF's ook hier op duome te bewaren en downloadable te maken,
want ze gaan misschien mettertijd op UCLOUVIN ook verdwijnen.

MichelleYVR
Canada

Post by MichelleYVR »

These are great! Bedankt!

Return to “Dutch”