Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Genitive - really so easy in plural?

Cifi

Genitive - really so easy in plural?

Post by Cifi »

The tips for skill "Genitive" state that plural genitive forms would be easy, but in the examples they give there is a shift of the accent from the second syllable in οι γυναίκες to the third in των γυναικών, while it remains on the first in οι σκύλοι -> των σκύλων and on the last in τα παιδιά -> των παιδιών.

My question is: When does this happen? Is it predictable in some way?

I tried to look up a few more words, but I don't really get the pattern yet.

Accent shifted:
οι ελέφαντες -> των ελεφάντων
οι πίθηκοι -> των πιθήκων
οι άνδρες -> των ανδρών
τα φίδια -> των φιδιών
τα αχλάδια -> των αχλαδιών

Not shifted:
οι παππούδες -> των παππούδων
οι αρκούδες -> των αρκούδων
τα μήλα -> των μήλων

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

sotos_greece
Greece

Re: Genitive - really so easy in plural?

Post by sotos_greece »

a nice article is the one below (when the intonation falls ...)

https://www.schooltime.gr/2014/12/26/to ... s-glossas/

ikr is in greek,
but in general the intonation falls when the adjective is used as a noun.
else the intonation does NOT fall-stays in 3rd syllable from end (like we speak from a pontium to mass people in general...kinda...not exactly the right picture to visualise..lol)
(tip... there is NO greek word with intonation in the 4th syllable from the end!)

(btw. i am NO teacher)

Return to “Greek”