Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Speaking Exercises

Moderator: PtolemysXX

jrwade
United States of America

Speaking Exercises

Post by jrwade »

I am about 4,000 xp and 30 crowns into Mandarin on Duolingo. I’m good at memorizing the characters and the listening exercise. The lessons aren’t that difficult. But gosh darn… the speaking exercises for the weekly Practice Hub are insanely difficult… way beyond beginner level.

Does anyone else think Duolingo needs to dumb down the speaking exercises at the beginning? Why can’t we start out saying 2-3 of characters at a time? Lol

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Speaking Exercises

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I never did any speaking exercises on Duolingo. My answers were too often not accepted (even when I spoke my native language). So I completely switched them off.

With Chinese, my listening comprehension is much better than my reading comprehension, because when I was first learning Mandarin I was constantly talking with my teacher.

But it took me a while to pronounce the word 报(newspaper) correctly.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

McGonnagle
Japan

Re: Speaking Exercises

Post by McGonnagle »

jrwade wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:07 am

I am about 4,000 xp and 30 crowns into Mandarin on Duolingo. I’m good at memorizing the characters and the listening exercise. The lessons aren’t that difficult. But gosh darn… the speaking exercises for the weekly Practice Hub are insanely difficult… way beyond beginner level.

Does anyone else think Duolingo needs to dumb down the speaking exercises at the beginning? Why can’t we start out saying 2-3 of characters at a time? Lol

I'm not very active in Mandarin on Duo, and I've never tried the speaking exercises, but here are some things I can recommend to learn Chinese pronunciation.

1. Learning "Rules for Changing Tones in Chinese " Specially about "If an entry’s tones are double 3rd-tones, the first tone needs to be changed to 2nd tone."
    https://www.writtenchinese.com/rules-fo ... s-chinese/

2. Learning ㄅㄆㄇㄈ (bo po mo fo, or 注音符號; zhùyīnfúhào);
    What is Bopomofo (Zhuyin) ? Pros and Cons :

Almost of all the people I know who learned with zhùyīnfúhào, can pronounce Chinese almost perfectly. It only takes a week to master ㄅㄆㄇㄈ.

Bopomofo in Wiki: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bopomofo#Input_method

加油吧 !

Return to “Chinese (Mandarin)”