Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Duolingo voices

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

Deleted User 114

Duolingo voices

Post by Deleted User 114 »

Just a random thought…

I remember being on the late Duolingo forum, and seeing so many posts about how horrible and annoying the Duolingo voices were.

My Arabic course didn’t have the normal Duolingo voices, they used other voices for that course, so I didn’t know how the supposedly annoying voices sounded.

I now recently started the reverse course, so the English from Arabic course. The reverse course has the normal Duolingo voices, and guess what…I don’t care for them.

So here I am, making a post about how I find the Duolingo voices irritating.

:lol:

LICA98
Finland

Re: Duolingo voices

Post by LICA98 »

I usually listen to music anyway when I'm doing the course so I have them disabled

Deleted User 114

LICA98 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:03 am

I usually listen to music anyway when I'm doing the course so I have them disabled

I might try that, I love listening to music. 👍

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

I noticed that the new comic character voices, now also introduced to the Pt-Br course, contain several wrong pronunciation rules which were not noticeable before with the old Pt voices.

Sometimes vowels are not spoken, or end consonants are getting dropped and it seems the rules engine often thinks it needs to apply any French rules while actually this is the Brazilian Portuguese course where those consonants dropping or Liaisons things don't exist, not to my knowledge.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Deleted User 114

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 2:03 am

I noticed that the new comic character voices, now also introduced to the Pt-Br course, contain several wrong pronunciation rules which were not noticeable before with the old Pt voices.

Sometimes vowels are not spoken, or end consonants are getting dropped and it seems the rules engine often thinks it needs to apply any French rules while actually this is the Brazilian Portuguese course where those consonants dropping or Liaisons things don't exist, not to my knowledge.

That is interesting, but I’m sure also misleading to new learners of a language.

Thomas.Heiss
Germany

Post by Thomas.Heiss »

Yeah, a bit contraproductive.
I've written a lot of free typing reports on the Android app explaining the issues.

Have been begging for a Pt-Br pronunciation course since the last year or the year before.

Thankfully the comic character voices aren't any bad in the Brazilian Portuguese version.

Having to hear overpronounced / slowed down (Lily) English or German comic voices just annoy me much more.

I still have some hope that staff can fix the Pt-Br pronunciation rules. A minor issue, but a bit irritating sometimes, even for me as a six years long-term learner.

:de: Native | :us: Upper-B2 (BritishCouncil) | ImageL25 (Duo) / A2 (6+y, McGraw-Hill) - Learning (Busuu): :fr: (A1 McGraw-Hill) | :brazil: (interm.)

Return to “Duolingo”