Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] [RuwaydaAtH] Grammar in Arabic: Articles

Moderator: The_lost

Fnirk1
Sweden

[ARCHIVE] [RuwaydaAtH] Grammar in Arabic: Articles

Post by Fnirk1 »

Originally posted by: RuwaydaAtH https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/32949289

So I was thinking during school, what should I make a post on today? I came home[by bus some long journey ;p] and wrote out a list that included all the lessons you guys wanted and lessons I had thought of in advance. I believe it was @MelissaRosen who suggested this but if you did suggest it as well, go earn your rightful spot and tell me[I'm sorry I'm a goldfish]. XD

![](https://vhx.imgix.net/one4kids/assets/7 ... =75&w=1280)

So today we'll be learning about articles. Basically these in English would be 'a', 'an' and 'the' but this in Arabic is much more complicated[but still easy do not be scared of that easily ;p]. This post will be fairly short anyways. ^-^

I've put harakah/vowels on the words to make it easier. ^-^

So one of the words we will be using is بَيْتٌ baytun- a house. This is the indefinite form. The ت ta at the end of the word has a tanween/ -un sound. This is why most of you guys would hear an -un sound. Remember that this -un is not another word, it's a vowel on top of the ت ta.

The definite form is الْبَيْتُ albaytu- the house. Notice here that we have the prefix الْ al-. This means the. The end is also different. Instead of an -un sound, there is an -u sound. When الْ al- at the start of a word, the vowel on the last letter is always -u NEVER -un.

Never get these mixed up. I have and it's embarrassing.

As I said in my last post, I like to write at least 3 examples when I learn something new. I'll do 4: 2 for each. ^-^

Examples

1. A new house- بَيْتٌ جَدِيدٌ baytun jadiidun

2. The moon is beautiful- الْقَمَرُ جَمِيلٌ alqamaru jamiilun

3. The happy boy- \الْوَلَدُ الْسَّعِيدُ alwaladu as-sa3eed

4. A girl is happy- بِنْتٌ سَعِيدَةٌ bintun sa3iidatun

There are some words, however, that do not make the الْ al- sound. For example, الْشَّمْسُ ash-shamsu the sun. We'll be looking into that tomorrow.

There are so many different websites and videos that can help you with learning articles. I can't recommend any as of now because there are SO many. I just can't filter through them like ZAP. Use what works best for you because everyone varies. But I would recommend two youtubers: LearnArabicwithMaha and Learn With Safaa.

Any questions, please ask. I'll be happy to answer.\n\n>Ask questions; don't make assumptions. Angela Ahrendts

Until next time......................................

![](https://cdn.dribbble.com/users/449626/s ... arabic.gif)

Peace be upon all of you and have a great day/night. ^-^

Return to “Language”