Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[Question] Declension Order

Moderator: Explorer

McGonnagle
Japan

[Question] Declension Order

Post by McGonnagle »

To currant middle - high school students in US, I have a question about declension order.

What is the declension order in the text book at your school? Does anyone know what is the declension order in this book -- "Latin for Americans" by B. L. Ullman ?

The declension order in LLPSI is nominative, accusative, genitive, dative and ablative. But the one that seems to rule on internet is this: N-G-D-Ac-Ab.

Inceptor linguae Latinae sum. Latine scribo ut ab omnibus corrigar.
(I'm Latin beginner. I'm writing in Latin hoping for correction.)

Sofia222677

Re: [Question] Declension Order

Post by Sofia222677 »

I think you'd have better luck getting answers from US teenagers on Discord rather than on a traditional forum.

McGonnagle wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:57 pm

Does anyone know what is the declension order in this book -- "Latin for Americans" by B. L. Ullman ?

From its table of contents, it looks like it's: nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, ablative.

McGonnagle wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 5:57 pm

the one that seems to rule on internet is this: N-G-D-Ac-Ab.

This is the order taught by teachers and textbooks in Italy, plus the vocative between the accusative and the ablative cases.

Also, this is the order shown in the film "Dead Poets Society" during the Latin class scene:

:it: N - :gb: B2 (working towards C1) - Learning :de: - Dabbling in :cn:, :ru:

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Gratias for your helpful comment and the references!!

Colinius
New Zealand

Post by Colinius »

Salve,
this Youtube article on the Case system (which is what I think you mean, although I get why you referred to it as declension) will help explain that there are different orders for cases depending on where in the world you are learning. The whole latintutorial Youtube channel is a great resource.

Personally I have found that most of the useful online info uses the American order (N- G- D- A-A) and that is what I tend to go with, and adjust when I use things like LLPSI

Vale!

McGonnagle
Japan

Post by McGonnagle »

Colinius wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 1:35 am

Salve,
this Youtube article on the Case system (which is what I think you mean, although I get why you referred to it as declension) will help explain that there are different orders for cases depending on where in the world you are learning. The whole latintutorial Youtube channel is a great resource.

Personally I have found that most of the useful online info uses the American order (N- G- D- A-A) and that is what I tend to go with, and adjust when I use things like LLPSI

Vale!

Salve, Colinius,

Gratias!! It makes sense calling that "case system", as they call "i nominativus, (casus) accsativus[/i]...

Also thanks for the youtube video. It's really a well made channel.

Vale!

Return to “Grammatica”