Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

"Tip-of-the-Tongue" Syndrome: What It Reveals About Language- article

Deleted User 114

"Tip-of-the-Tongue" Syndrome: What It Reveals About Language- article

Post by Deleted User 114 »

Here’s an interesting article I read, and I thought I’d share it.

"Tip-of-the-Tongue" Syndrome: What It Reveals About Language
by Paul Martin
Source

“Who’s the actress who played Buffy?” I ask. “You know, the short one, with blonde hair and green eyes. No, no, it’s not Sarah Jessica Parker; I’m talking about the vampire - Buffy! Sarah Margaret Grant?...No...This is making me crazy! Her name is on the tip of my tongue!” (For readers who are scratching their heads along with me, the actress in question is Sarah Michelle Gellar.)

“It’s on the tip of my tongue!”
We’ve all experienced it: we can imagine a particular person or a particular word, but no matter how hard we try, we can’t recall the name of that person or thing. Often times, we can remember very specific information about the person or object in question - I, for example, could envision Sarah Michelle Gellar’s hair and eye color - but for some reason, we just can’t produce the word.

In fact, these tip-of-the-tongue states are so thoroughly researched in linguistics and psychology literature that they even have their own acronym (TOT). But what exactly are these tip-of-the-tongue states? Why do they happen, and what do they tell us about how our brains process language?

Why tip-of-the-tongue states happen
When we think about learning words, it seems intuitive and logical that we store the word and its meaning in the same place in our brain. For example, the word dog should come in the same memory package as its meaning - a four-legged furry animal that’s a common household pet. However, tip-of-the-tongue states suggest that this isn’t the case - instead, words and their meanings are stored in quite different places in the brain.

A very influential model of memory and word processing comes from Levelt (1999), who suggests that we retrieve and produce words in stages - first, we conjure up the meaning, and only later do we recall the word associated with it. In other words, the brain is a mess: we store meanings in one place, and words in another! Usually, the link between meaning and form is clear, but sometimes - especially with uncommon names and words - our brain gets confused, and can’t find the word attached to a particular meaning. When this happens, we fall into a tip-of-the-tongue state.

In this way, our brains are like a cluttered desk. We know that our important tax forms are in there somewhere, we just can’t remember where we left them!

Tip-of-the-tongue states and bilingualism
Interestingly, researchers have found that bilinguals experience more tip-of-the-tongue states than monolinguals, especially with their less-dominant language. Perhaps this isn’t so surprising: not only do bilinguals have to memorize twice as many words as monolinguals, but they presumably use each of these words less frequently than monolinguals, given that they split their vocabulary into two languages. Therefore, continuing with our metaphor of a cluttered desk, bilinguals have twice as many documents in the same amount of space - no wonder it’s sometimes harder to find the right form!

Still, the increased incidence of tip-of-the-tongue states is a small price to pay for the vast advantages that bilingualism confers. Specifically, bilinguals have been shown to have increased memory capacity, enhanced problem-solving skills, and even reduced risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s.

So the next time that a word is right on the tip of your tongue, don’t fret. Your brain is doing its best to organize itself - a formidable task, given that the average person knows between 35,000 - 60,000 words (and twice that for bilinguals!). With such an enormous vocabulary, perhaps what’s truly most amazing is that we don’t experience tip-of-the-tongue states more often!

Davey944676
Great Britain

Re: "Tip-of-the-Tongue" Syndrome: What It Reveals About Language- article

Post by Davey944676 »

When Buffy was mentioned in the example, the name "Sarah Michelle Gellar" came to my mind instantly.

However, if the example were reversed and Sarah Michelle Gellar were mentioned, my T.O.T. moment would probably be trying to think of the name of any character she has played, including Buffy.

Why? I have a theory...

The first time I noticed the name "Sarah Michelle Gellar" was in a discarded newspaper article, which I was reading purely to pass the time on a stalled commuter train. To me, the name was quite distinctive and memorable. Anyway, the article was about the surprising wealth and production company portfolios of Ms Gellar and the Gellar family, and although the article mentioned Buffy the Vampire Slayer, it did so only in terms of profits and franchising and whatnot.

At that point I had never seen Buffy the Vampire Slayer, so I suppose the name of the actress was put into some kind of "primary" slot in my brain's filing system before it had a chance to be overridden/sidetracked by the name and images of any character she played.

Maybe if I were a proper linguist I could glean some useful personal insight from that, and devise some clever methodology which I could apply to ordering/associating native and non-native words more efficiently. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, I've noticed that sometimes I have such a problem with quickly recreating a given name or surname, even though I have it on the tip of my tongue.

But I have my own way, namely:
I start speaking the alphabet (but slowly) from "A" (beginning) and when I get to the letter I need, my brain automatically guides me to the appropriate drawer and opens it and I already I know what name or surname I was looking for!

Somehow I accidentally tried this method and it works for me, hehe! ;)

.... in Polish ...

Cześć, zauważyłam, że czasem mam taki problem z szybkim odtworzeniem jakiegoś imienia lub nazwiska danej osoby, choć mam to na końcu języka.

Ale mam swój sposób, a mianowicie: zaczynam mówić alfabet ( ale powoli ) od "A" ( początku ) i jak dojdę do potrzebnej litery, mój mózg automatyczne naprowadza mnie na odpowiednią szufladkę - otwiera ją i już wiem jakiego imienia, czy nazwiska szukałam!

Jakoś przypadkowo spróbowałam tej metody i u mnie to działa, hehe! :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

[mention]Davey944676[/mention] I think the explanation for your experience is quite simple. It is easier for us to remember things, names etc. connected to a story or, even better, to a comic strip. One example: Tell someone a story with "new" words and ask them to remember and reproduce it. The story is: "A twoleg is sitting on a threeleg and eating a oneleg. Along comes a fourleg and takes the oneleg. The twoleg takes the threeleg and hits the fourleg." Nine out of ten people won't be able to retell the story. So try again, but tell your "guinea pig" that this is a puzzle that has to be solved. If this doesn't work, say that you're telling them a comic strip. Most people will be able to reproduce the text - and they'll probably not forget it easily. The same thing happened to you: You remember the name in the context of a personal experience, a story. Another thing we never forget are nursery rhymes: Tell somebody to give you the text of a nursery rhyme. Almost everyone will be able to do that - and they'll certainly tell you the rhyme in the rhythm of the music that goes with it.

wayfarer

Post by wayfarer »

But is that because nursery rhmes are inherently more memorable or because we sang them so many times as chldren that they became engraved deep into our memory?

It certainly seems true that we remember things better if we have a visual rendering of them. I guess historically, and in evolutionary terms, a visual memory was far more important than a memory for abstractions.

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:50 am

Hi, I've noticed that sometimes I have such a problem with quickly recreating a given name or surname, even though I have it on the tip of my tongue.

I start speaking the alphabet (but slowly) from "A" (beginning) and when I get to the letter I need, my brain automatically guides me to the appropriate drawer and opens it and I already I know what name or surname I was looking for!

Hehe! I often find myself doing that, too....ah,..buh...suh....duh..eh.. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Oh my gosh! I have been doing that for so long. !
I can’t believe it! I thought it was only me.

No matter what it is , I start with the letter A all the way to Z. Sometimes , I have to go through the alphabet twice ! slowly and it will eventually come to me ! People think I’m crazy. I stop and start saying A , B C etc out loud !

So incredibly cool that someone else out there in the universe does it , too. 😊😊😊 yah , & Davey does it , too !

It really does work!!
I have never tried that before, I should!

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

Meli578588 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:32 am

@Dana_Dany Danuta

No matter what it is , I start with the letter A all the way to Z. Sometimes , I have to go through the alphabet twice ! slowly and it will eventually come to me ! People think I’m crazy. I stop and start saying A , B C etc out loud !

So incredibly cool that someone else out there in the universe does it , too. 😊😊😊 yah , & Davey does it , too !

It really does work!!

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Yes, try it, Jacko …It really works ! 🙂

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Davey944676 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 11:32 pm
Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:50 am

Hehe! I often find myself doing that, too....ah,..buh...suh....duh..eh.. :)

Hi, I think a lot of people around the world use this method because it is the best and reliable! hehe ;)

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Hi, [mention]Meli578588[/mention]!

It really does work!!! :D

I have been doing it for a long time and I was thinking like you!

We probably have the same ancestors and maybe similar genes, hehe :)
I know our brain is the best computer, we just need to know how to use it!

Yes, it is incredibly cool that a lot of people in the universe use this method! 😊

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Chrisinom wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:00 pm

"A twoleg is sitting on a threeleg and eating a oneleg. Along comes a fourleg and takes the oneleg. The twoleg takes the threeleg and hits the fourleg." Nine out of ten people won't be able to retell the story.

I imagined twoleg=man, threeleg=camping chair (tripod), oneleg=chicken thigh, fourleg=dog right when I read it for the first time, so I think I shouldn't have had too much trouble remembering it.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

@cifi So you are the one out of ten who didn't try to remember the text but solve a puzzle and/or imagine a comic. Congrats!

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Well, actually I wasn't even trying to remember something, it was more like intuitively trying to guess some meaning or interpretation that would make sense to me. With some of Duolingo's strange sentences, it became a habit to imagine settings and contexts for them, possibly that's why.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

[mention]Cifi[/mention] You also had the advantage of reading the text. It is really meant to be listened to and then retold.
[mention]wayfarer[/mention] Of course you are right that repetition plays a major role in remembering words and phrases. Yet nursery rhymes also work with nursery rhymes in a foreign language. I learned some English ones at 5th grade and still remember them, though we didn't listen to them or sing them very often. It is the combination of words, sounds, and rhythm that does the trick. Pictures, real life experience, movements have the same effect. We do not know very much about how our brain works, but it seems to be common knowledge that language is stored in different areas of our brain, though there seem to be two areas (Broca's area and Wernicke's area) that are indispensable for the acquirement of language. Linking these areas through synapses seems to be highly effective in learning languages. Of course there are different learning types (auditory, visual, kinesthetic), so we just have to find out what works for us and try to combine different sources. I've started a forum about learning Italian through songs, following @gmads who presents Spanish songs. There is one song by Angelo Branduardi that has the structure of a nursery rhyme. I found a YouTube version that added appropriate pictures:

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Well, I can't really know what would have happened if I only heard it instead of read it, but I still suspect I would have parsed it more or less as described. Maybe that is because I am German and translated it to "Zweibeiner" which is more or less synonymous with "human being", and "Vierbeiner" is quite common for animals, especially dogs, too. A "Dreibein" you can sit on would have meant a stool to me without thinking, which only leaves "Einbein" to memorise.

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

Actually the test is in German as you described it. I came across it at a training event and I failed miserably.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

It's crazy how we remember lyrics to songs or can name the tune from the first ten seconds of the record playing. Long ago in the dark ages my brother and I made tape recordings of just the first ten seconds of our records. We used to test each other. Happy memories 🙂

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

An article showed up in my news feed that seemed interesting enough,

Duolingo is probably a better Alzheimer’s treatment than the newest breakthrough drug

It seems this thread is related, mainly due to this quote from the article by the O.P.:

Specifically, bilinguals have been shown to have increased memory capacity, enhanced problem-solving skills, and even reduced risk of developing neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Jacko079 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:36 am

@Dana_Dany Danuta

It really does work!!

... And I also thought it was only me...

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

rudi
Czech Republic

Post by rudi »

MoniqueMaRie wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 5:03 am
Jacko079 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:36 am

@Dana_Dany Danuta

It really does work!!

... And I also thought it was only me...

Never heard of it, never tried it, but will definitely do next time! Cool idea.
Until now, the way which works for me is just to wait and think sometimes of the topic. After 2 or 3 days it will come into my mind by itself. Seems, my mind works underground for me.

Paket Haken Satellit Dilettant Rhythmus Epidemie Hämorrhoiden Pubertät Gestalt Repertoire Reparatur separat Interesse Original Standard Stegreif - mehr?

Please correct me if I write something wrong. I will never take it as an offense. I want to learn.

rudi
Czech Republic

Post by rudi »

Okay, so I had the opportunity to test out your method in the last days. There was a famous actor in tv which I know for a long time but couldn't remember his name. My method didn't work, there seemed to be traffic jam somewhere in my mind. After 2 days I decided to test. I had to do it three times. At the 3rd try I mumbled "ra..." "ro..." yes and that was it! Suddenly the complete name came up, although a little bit unsecure (maybe that was the reason my old method didn't work, because the name was too long forgotten), but after a little time thinking about I knew I got it. :idea:

Am I right in my conclusion that you don't say "aaaa, beee, ceee, deee..." but "aaaa, b', sss, d'..." (I don't know how better do describe it, let alone find words for it)? That seemed to work better for me. Anyway, thanks for this wonderful idea! 8-)

Paket Haken Satellit Dilettant Rhythmus Epidemie Hämorrhoiden Pubertät Gestalt Repertoire Reparatur separat Interesse Original Standard Stegreif - mehr?

Please correct me if I write something wrong. I will never take it as an offense. I want to learn.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Hi, @rudi!

I will tell you that this is a very good and proven method!
For me it works perfectly and quite quickly, but sometimes I have to repeat the alphabet to get the right letter and then the word I'm looking for! hehe

You just need to train your memory, and the more you do it, the faster you guess the forgotten word!

I will also add that "practice makes perfect"! (This proverb reminds us that repetition of actions will allow us to become masters. We must not give up in the event of failure, but by exercising our mind, body and our will, we must constantly strive to achieve the intended goal.)

Good luck! (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

Return to “Random Thoughts”