Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Poll: How did you find Duome?

How did you find Duome?

From Duolingo's forum before it closed.

77%

I heard about it on Discord.

No votes

I read about it on another site. [Please list if you wish.]

6%

From the duome.eu statistics banner

6%

From an online search.

8%

I heard about it from friends.

4%

Other--[Please list if you wish.]

No votes

Total votes: 52

Corinnebelle

Poll: How did you find Duome?

Post by Corinnebelle »

So this is voluntary. I see we have a lot of members and I am curious where you came from and how you heard about Duome.

First time I try a poll.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

wayfarer

Re: Poll: How did you find Duome?

Post by wayfarer »

Like many people I heard about it on the Duolingo forum in those crazy, heady, fin-de-siecle days just before it closed down. The place was a teeming cauldron of rumour and conjecture and unspoken fears, like a port city massing with language refugees, with our few scant belongings tied to makeshift carts and carried on our backs. Everybody was looking for a way out, a place to go, somewhere to escape to and be reunited with old friends, and maybe make new ones. Looking for a new, safe place to call home.

I had almost stopped using Duolingo as a language learning tool by then - being as it had turned into little more than a tiresome game with ditzy graphcs - but I still used the forums due to the excellent people there and the wealth of useful information. I had another name back there, and I left that identity behind me when I crossed the border and recreated myself anew for this new era of life, learning and linguistic adventure. Oh brave new world!

Ha. Probably got a bit carried away there with the drama of it all. :D

I still have hopes that this place can become as busy and as rich and multi-faceted as the old country, given time. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon, and for the rest of its life.

Here's looking at you kid! Play it again, Sam. This could be the start of a beautiful friendship etc 8-)

Last edited by wayfarer on Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Well I'm not a newbie here but I'd like to answer the question anyway. Some people may remember me from the German forum for Spanish speakers on Duolingo. When I heard about the shutdown, I did everything I could to promote Duome among the Hispanic community. After that I was fortunate enough to be a moderator in this very forum. And now, almost six months later, here we are!

I'd especially like to thank [mention]martad15[/mention], [mention]Guillermo[/mention], [mention]Dovili22[/mention], [mention]MatOzone[/mention], [mention]eI000yo[/mention], [mention]Sargento Mayor[/mention], [mention]dakanga[/mention], [mention]HeyMarlana[/mention] and many others who were there, actively providing support and helping users who didn't know what to do right before and after the final blackout. And of course thanks to [mention]duome[/mention] for making all this possible. You all are the best! ;)

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 🇮🇹 🇳🇱 |

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

I stumbled upon a link to it in a (closed but still viewable) Duolingo sentence discussion last week, and I'm trying to decide whether that counts as 'From Duolingo's forum before it closed' or 'Other--[Please list if you wish.]'.

I only joined Duolingo late last year so didn´t exactly contribute much to their forums - most of the complete beginner questions I´d have asked back them had already been asked (and answered) in some cases 100 times on one page - but it was a goldmine of information and resources that I think Duolingo was mad to throw aside, so finding this place is great.

Native language: 🇬🇧. Novice getting towards rookie: 🇪🇸. Beginner: 🇬🇷, 🇯🇵.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Jimbo wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:44 am

I stumbled upon a link to it in a (closed but still viewable) Duolingo sentence discussion last week, and I'm trying to decide whether that counts as 'From Duolingo's forum before it closed' or 'Other--[Please list if you wish.]'.

I only joined Duolingo late last year so didn´t exactly contribute much to their forums - most of the complete beginner questions I´d have asked back them had already been asked (and answered) in some cases 100 times on one page - but it was a goldmine of information and resources that I think Duolingo was mad to throw aside, so finding this place is great.

Good question. I guess that this was written before the forum closed. Wish I left more of a mark in the sentence discussions about this site. Oh course Duolingo didn't let us know they were freezing sentence discussions. It is nice to know that Duome can be found via that.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Explorer[/mention] [mention]duome[/mention] is a gift that keeps on giving. I think people are enjoying being able to contact him and suggest new ideas for the site!

Those were strange times. The first person who advocated for Duome got their post deleted. We were at our peril advertising other sites. Some of us were banned for letting people know where the next stomping ground was.

Have you seen lavende_et_roses? She was going to join us here. But I never saw her after the forum finished. I don't know if she had troubling signing in. I know another one of my friends did. Someone else I knew gave up.

Mad days when we tried to archive everything!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]wayfarer[/mention] Oh wayfarer, you make me nostalgic! Thinking of the old forum, the people that were lost and banned. Yes, I miss my friends, some came and I reconnected here, but others disappeared. Some I have gotten to know more other than just be people who knew each other there. This forum is of higher quality than the one we left. I haven't seen much k-pop or anything like that. Of course there would a be a forum for that if people were into that. I think we attracted mainly serious language users. I didn't think I'd end up a moderator when I joined here.

Makes me think of Crocodile Dundee, aka, Paul077, he came and left. Others also. I feel some people should have given this a fair chance as this is new and still growing.

A lot of people seem to treat this as the troubleshooting lab and not an actual language forum. I suppose they get to find there's more to it after a while.

It's good to see the old faces[profiles], and the new.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

from the duo forum as everyone else :)

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:36 pm

@Explorer @duome is a gift that keeps on giving. I think people are enjoying being able to contact him and suggest new ideas for the site!

Those were strange times. The first person who advocated for Duome got their post deleted. We were at our peril advertising other sites. Some of us were banned for letting people know where the next stomping ground was.

Have you seen lavende_et_roses? She was going to join us here. But I never saw her after the forum finished. I don't know if she had troubling signing in. I know another one of my friends did. Someone else I knew gave up.

Mad days when we tried to archive everything!

Lavende_et_roses does have an account, here it is. It looks like she was having some trouble signing in though. :|

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Jacko079[/mention] I thought I saw it. But yes, it mustn't have worked for her to sign in... :(

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

Thanks for the mention [mention]Explorer[/mention]. :) To [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] I answered "I read about it on another site" because people were talking about this forum on our other site, Life & Language. My involvement with both sites was to make sure there that the trolling we knew and disliked so much from Duo would be snuffed out, and so far from what I've seen, there is a marked difference between "then" and "now"! :) How can you learn, if people unnecessarily yank away your enjoyment of discussing languages on a language forum?

Funny story: One of my [former] trolls from Duolingo had joined Life & Language. I was so puzzled! I thought, "Why? All you ever did was troll me on Duo!" I knew exactly who this person was, but they obviously didn't want to let on anything. (Old screenshots from Duo don't lie.) But.. I welcomed them warmly, experimenting with the notion that positivity and moving on from a bad situation can create some good, and it did. They got something out of being nice, and in turn, received good interactions from all of us.

I like to think that that sort of thing happened here too. It was a blessing in disguise to lose Duolingo's forum, because we now have the community and forum culture that we were hoping for for so long.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

jenneeeeefur
United States of America

Post by jenneeeeefur »

I just stumbled upon it this morning! I wanted to know who had the longest Duolingo streak. It was linked in a Reddit post.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]HeyMarlana[/mention] That's nice to read how people are willing to do better. Kindness begats kindness! A refreshing story of you giving someone another chance.

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

To be honest, I don't remember exactly. But I think i read in the Duolingo forum about the new forum on Duome.
But of course I knew Duome before (except the forum). Therefore I answered the question above in regarding the forum.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

TammiP
United States of America

Post by TammiP »

Someone on Facebook told me about it.

John Little
Brazil

Post by John Little »

I said another site but it might have even been here. I asked google the difference between certain word uses and found a very helpful explanation and a link to the duome stats.

I love building relationships on fórums and don't do Facebook on principle

John661162

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

John Little wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:20 am

I love building relationships on fórums and don't do Facebook on principle

Me neither!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

TammiP wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 5:54 am

Someone on Facebook told me about it.

That's neat! It's even mentioned on Facebook! I'm glad people find it useful!

SimbiAni
United States of America

Post by SimbiAni »

I heard about DuoMe on Reddit earlier this year as a way to view expanded statistics, & have enjoyed the site ever since & so also been recommending as much as possible to others to hopefully increase more ppl's enjoyment of interesting stats (& now forums) while learning with Duo, haha xD

🇺🇸 = fluent from youth & only one to 'stick'; 🇨🇦 = lifelong from nonblood relatives
🇩🇴🇵🇷 = lifelong exposure via local cultures; 🇮🇹 = for discovering genetic heritage
🇧🇷 = cuz why not; 🇰🇷🇯🇵 = L❤VE!! +24 more lol omg https://duome.eu/SimbiAni

Deleted User 3754

Post by Deleted User 3754 »

Last edited by Deleted User 3754 on Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
meanon

Post by meanon »

I found out about the forums closing just as it was going into sunset, but read about this forum in a very last minute post. I checked it out, got a bit lost, so I joined the Discord server. The first discord server was very promising and really nice, but I left when it got shut down and merged into another server. Not until Duo switched us all to one path (which I had no clue was about to happen), did I made an account here... and here I am :) Now I just need to figure out where things are and how they work here xD

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

meanon wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:28 am

I found out about the forums closing just as it was going into sunset, but read about this forum in a very last minute post. I checked it out, got a bit lost, so I joined the Discord server. The first discord server was very promising and really nice, but I left when it got shut down and merged into another server. Not until Duo switched us all to one path (which I had no clue was about to happen), did I made an account here... and here I am :) Now I just need to figure out where things are and how they work here xD

I lately made an overview for new German member. If you happen to know some German...
Or simply follow the links I embedded there. They mostly lead to information in English

viewtopic.php?p=36021-infosammlung-für- ... ger#p36021

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

meanon

Post by meanon »

Thank you so much [mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention], it was helpful to go through the links and learn some new things (for me :D)!

Return to “Discussions”