Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Τι είναι ροζ;

Jimbo

Τι είναι ροζ;

Post by Jimbo »

So I was wondering, is this 'What is pink?' in the sense of 'What things are pink?' or is it more 'What does "pink" mean?', or (as in the English) both?.

(Also, please tell me that if I get far enough down the tree I will eventually get a different colour!)

Thanks in advance.

Native language: 🇬🇧. Novice getting towards rookie: 🇪🇸. Beginner: 🇬🇷, 🇯🇵.

Cifi

Re: Τι είναι ροζ;

Post by Cifi »

I think I can answer the last part, and it's great to have some fellow learner around who's roughly at my level (I seem to be a bit ahead, but I'm proceeding really slowly).

All these pink things bothered me, too. In skill "Colors" the world finally gets back to normal.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

It could mean both. However, personally, I would say "Τι είναι το «ροζ»;" or "Τι σημαίνει «ροζ»;" (What does "pink" mean?) to ask for a definition. It sounds better grammatically and there is no ambiguity. If I heard "Τι είναι ροζ;" out of context, I would assume you're asking about which things are pink.

-Τι είναι το ροζ; (What is pink?)
-Το ροζ είναι ένα χρώμα πολύ ανοιχτής κόκκινης απόχρωσης. (Pink is a colour of very light red shade)

---
There's a skill that teaches colours later on. I'm not sure you'll be happy when you get there. It teaches various declinable alternatives for the same colour. Trust me, ροζ is awesome. :P

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

GrahamW
Canada

Post by GrahamW »

I think the early Skills focus on relatively simple words, like "pink", to introduce the alphabet. I don't think I've seen mini-market, toast or cigarette, etc. since. But better that than using multisyllabic words like the verb "to use" :-)
Your desire for more words will quickly be satisfied, as the Greek course is the most new-word-intensive course of the ones that I've done. Personally, I would have divided some of the Skills to allow more practice on the new words introduced in each Skill. However, rather than getting bogged down in trying to memorize all the new words, I simply pushed on in the hope that frequently-repeated words would eventually stick in my brain. It seems to be working. I started in January and I'm now about halfway through the course.

🇨🇦 > :it: :fr: :es: Image :de: Image 🇬🇷 :brazil: 🇨🇳

Jimbo

Post by Jimbo »

Cifi wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:24 am

I think I can answer the last part, and it's great to have some fellow learner around who's roughly at my level (I seem to be a bit ahead, but I'm proceeding really slowly).

All these pink things bothered me, too. In skill "Colors" the world finally gets back to normal.

Probably a lot ahead of me - I'm still on section 1, and at my current progression I estimate I'll reach 'Colors' in about 2 1/2 months.

Still, good to know.

O.Zoe wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:33 am

It could mean both. However, personally, I would say "Τι είναι το «ροζ»;" or "Τι σημαίνει «ροζ»;" (What does "pink" mean?) to ask for a definition. It sounds better grammatically and there is no ambiguity. If I heard "Τι είναι ροζ;" out of context, I would assume you're asking about which things are pink.

-Τι είναι το ροζ; (What is pink?)
-Το ροζ είναι ένα χρώμα πολύ ανοιχτής κόκκινης απόχρωσης. (Pink is a colour of very light red shade)

---
There's a skill that teaches colours later on. I'm not sure you'll be happy when you get there. It teaches various declinable alternatives for the same colour. Trust me, ροζ is awesome. :P

Thank you. And I'm looking forward to all the adjectives, even though I know it's going to be difficult.

GrahamW wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:15 pm

I think the early Skills focus on relatively simple words, like "pink", to introduce the alphabet. I don't think I've seen mini-market, toast or cigarette, etc. since. But better that than using multisyllabic words like the verb "to use" :-)
Your desire for more words will quickly be satisfied, as the Greek course is the most new-word-intensive course of the ones that I've done. Personally, I would have divided some of the Skills to allow more practice on the new words introduced in each Skill. However, rather than getting bogged down in trying to memorize all the new words, I simply pushed on in the hope that frequently-repeated words would eventually stick in my brain. It seems to be working. I started in January and I'm now about halfway through the course.

Probably, and I'd say it's working for me too. It's the accents that are causing me trouble - I find I spend so much time using the hover hints to check which letter has the emphasis mark that I end up copying the words rather than learning them. Hopefully that'll pass though, and I'll actually start learning vocabulary.

(Looks up 'use' in dictionary):

vt χρησιμοποιώ

Yeah OK, I can see how that might be a bit tricky.

Now's the part where I try and use it in a sentence just to see if I've got the grammar right - grammar which again I learned (or hope I learned) from the dictionary because I haven't got that far yet on Duolingo, but I can't think of a noun that I know offhand in Greek that's 'usable' - "We use the carrot" is a bit of a nonsense sentence after all, so I look up the page a bit - USB stick (dictionary doesn't state a gender so I wouldn't know what article to use), Urinal (I'd rather not use that in a test sentence, thanks), and I eventually land on 'Upholstery'/'Ταπετσαρία f'.

So after considerable effort my trial sentence is "You're going to use your upholstery." I might be making it harder on myself with a possessive in a future tense sentence but I feel I have to be prepared to fail in spectacular fashion.

Εσύ θα χρησιμοποιάς η ταπετσαρία σου.
(You) (future marker - basically 'will') (you use, hopefully the same 'you') (the) (upholstery) (your).

Of that, the only one I'm sure of it the 'Εσύ' at the beginning which is probably droppable anyway. Oh well, it was worth the attempt.

And next it's back to the simple stuff again for me and not stuff that's probably a full tree ahead of me.

Thank you everyone.

Native language: 🇬🇧. Novice getting towards rookie: 🇪🇸. Beginner: 🇬🇷, 🇯🇵.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

O.Zoe wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:33 am

But later we learn that there are some more invariant color adjectives which are about as familiar to foreigners as ροζ is, like καφέ, γκρί (why does this have an accent?), μπλε.

Had they been introduced earlier, the world wouldn't have had to be so monochrome during the first few skills (I'm getting rid of my rose-tinted glasses now).

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Phil682961

Post by Phil682961 »

γκρι isn't written with an accent, but there's a synonym γκρίζος (this one isn't indeclinable, it follows the most common pattern for -ος adjectives). That one does have an accent, since it has two syllables.

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

Phil682961 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:51 am

γκρι isn't written with an accent, but there's a synonym γκρίζος (this one isn't indeclinable, it follows the most common pattern for -ος adjectives). That one does have an accent, since it has two syllables.

When I'm too lazy to switch the keyboard in order to type a single word in between, I sometimes use Google translate and copy it instead. That's where the accent came from, but it's good to know it is wrong.

Return to “Greek”