Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Motivation

Moderator: HeyMarlana

Steve579062

Motivation

Post by Steve579062 »

Looking at other learner profiles on Duo I see lots of users start a language and give in before the bug bites.

For my own motivation I use a simple system........I brag !

I tell everyone I am learning Russian and Ukrainian. Once you have let it out in to the world you cannot give in. You can sit at home and play with the idea of learning but that means you can quit when ever you want. And you will !

Tell people. Find a strange word that sounds familiar in your own language but means something different in you chosen subject. Tell people.

Take screen shots of your progress. Show people.

Learn everyday.

If you have to miss a day, punish yourself. No chocolate bar 😋

Watch your word count grow and brag about it.

Learn to say " I love you " in your new language.

Do not be tempted to learn curse words. They will come out when you do not want them too.

Enjoy. Find time for your lesson. I do some whilst walking. I do others whilst having meals.

Believe in yourself. No one can learn for you. No one else will benefit from your efforts. This is your chance for glory. You can do it !

I'm using language to keep my old brain working.

IceVajal
Germany

Re: Motivation

Post by IceVajal »

I made it a habit to do the first lesson while having my first coffee. Now it feels just normal to... пью кофе. 😉

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

For all of us the path will be different. What ever works for you is your path.....follow it.

Thank you for your tip.

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

It's true. Everybody needs to figure out what works best. Sometimes it might change and one has to adjust to it. A language journal works well for me, at least most of the time. Mid May until late September I'm very busy and use 'dead time's to do exercises. The rest of the year I have time to do more and then I use the language journal a lot.

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

HeyMarlana
Canada

Post by HeyMarlana »

I used the same approach. I let everyone know that I was learning Ukrainian so that if ever they stumbled across something, they could let me know. For example, letting me know about events or activities going on where the language was apparent. Had I not said anything, I wouldn't have known about many things. Because of this, I also was put in touch with a Ukrainian [refugee] who is staying in Alberta that lives next door to one of my cousins. My cousin made mention: "I have a cousin who can speak some Ukrainian", which generated interest to get us in touch. Had he not known to say this, it wouldn't have happened. So yes! I'm in the camp of making sure my friends and family know so they can keep an ear out for me when situations like this come up.

Remember...do something nice for yourself today.

Steve579062

Post by Steve579062 »

I also save all images from the Duo course and add them on screen savers for my Amazon Firestick and computer.

I sometimes choose a sentence from that mornings lesson and use it several times at work during the day. It can be about the weather or other stranger topic.

Mine today was " what are you trying to do " in Ukrainian. I said it that many times that people started answering without asking me to say it in English.

Enjoy your learning.

Return to “Ukrainian”