Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Weird Friend Loss on Duolingo

We are not Duolingo, we cannot solve any problems directly, but we can provide community-based advice.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Weird Friend Loss on Duolingo

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

Okay so I was gaining new friends on duolingo on the scale of about a hundred every two days. But about a month ago, suddenly I hit a wall and stopped gaining any new friends. It just sort of hovered around 19,006. Went up one but then down. Now it’s slightly below 19,000. I took a screenshot of the followers of someone else with a lot of followers about a week ago - Nathan Merklinger - to test my theory. His followers have stagnated and slightly decreased too.

I still get notifications of new followers every day. Could it really be more people are un-following me than following me? And Nathan?

I’ve also been having a hard time following people back. I will follow people and my following number remains the same and it won’t register me as following them.

🇺🇦

Stasia
Poland

Re: Weird Friend Loss on Duolingo

Post by Stasia »

[mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention], I think that once you hit a certain number of followers, you can't be followed anymore. I remember I once tried to follow someone with an insane number of followers, and I couldn't, I kept pressing that "follow" button and it just wouldn't register. I'm glad I was able to follow you before you reached that magic number. ;)

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

Where can we see our followers in the web version? Thank you!

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

duome

Post by duome »

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

I think you got your answer although the exact limits aren't clear. I've been following a jazz singer in Madrid for a couple years whose been stuck on 21735.

MatOzone
Catalonia

Post by MatOzone »

For me, the followers are stuck at 25389. And it's impossible to see them all: the list remains loading indefinitely (∘·· ·∘· ··∘...)

I fully support 🇺🇦!

NATIVE: ImageㅤAlso: Image Image Image ... and some others... Duolingo Course Data.

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

For what it's worth, Duo's documentation says the max number of followers are 1K.

How I find, follow, and block users ?

Also, it just seemed relevant to add I had no trouble following Duolingo folks: LuisVonAhnFrench, Séverin Hacker, Cindy Blanco, Hideki Shima, Nathalie Glance, Sean Colombo, Bozena Pajik. The best one is Duolingo, who follows either no one or everyone, I haven't decided yet.

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Glad that my number of followers is still in the double digits. I can do without the massive applause whenever my streak surpasses a round number, I get an owl or make more than 10 lessons a day. My 'friend updates' shouldn't take more time than doing any lesson.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

jenneeeeefur
United States of America

Post by jenneeeeefur »

SweNedGuy wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:20 am

Glad that my number of followers is still in the double digits. I can do without the massive applause whenever my streak surpasses a round number, I get an owl or make more than 10 lessons a day. My 'friend updates' shouldn't take more time than doing any lesson.

Do you know of any settings to turn this off? I get annoyed with the notifications from my 15 friends 😂

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

If you toggle your profile Duolingo privacy settings to private, you don't get such updates anymore and you are also out of the leagues. On DuoMe, you may still check your personal learning performance; however you will not be mentioned in any DuoMe Hall of Fame.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

TammiP
United States of America

Post by TammiP »

Strange how the top number of followers changes for different people. I'm a follower of someone with over 20000.

Return to “Duolingo”