Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Do animals represent different things in different cultures?

Corinnebelle

Re: Do animals represent different things in different cultures?

Post by Corinnebelle »

3rdButterfly wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:31 pm

Wise as an owl is also one,

![](https://images.fineartamerica.com/image ... ennedy.jpg)

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

DJrossonwye

Post by DJrossonwye »

Around the British Isles, somebody with an apparent short memory could be said to have "a memory like a goldfish", and somebody "living in a goldfish bowl" is living a life constantly under scrutiny or trapped in the public eye.

Elsewhere the goldfish has a more upbeat rep. In Chinese and Japanese tradition the goldfish serves as a symbol of wealth, fortune, and good luck. ;)

:uk: British English native speaker. Learning Spanish :es:

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

I've just picked up another one that's used in Spanish:

Aburrirse como una ostra (lit. to be bored like an oyster, because they seem to be yawning)

Credits to [mention]SweNedGuy[/mention] who mentioned it in another thread.

Last edited by Cifi on Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

I'm thinking French again: "poser un lapin à quelqu'un(e)" =
"Not showing up on a date" or "abandoning somebody without notice".

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

PeaceForce

Post by PeaceForce »

@Corinnebelle et al: In Native American cultures, owls may be "both revered and feared": https://centerofthewest.org/2018/08/06/ ... an-culture

Functional and aspirational bio: Linguaphile, systems and process thinker; deep syncretist. Organic farmer, eco-agriculturalist and agro-technologist. Civilizational scholar, ideator and activist. Visionary, futurist and multidoer in holistic Divine love!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

PeaceForce wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:17 am

@Corinnebelle et al: In Native American cultures, owls may be "both revered and feared": https://centerofthewest.org/2018/08/06/ ... an-culture

I imagine animals have a lot of meaning in cultures who consider luck, animism and spirit worship.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Dovili22
United States of America

Post by Dovili22 »

The owl represents KNOWLEDGE & WISDOM

D o r a

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

A phrase just occurred to me which (unusually?) isn't regularly paraphrased to use as a metaphor to describe somebody or something else...

I have often heard the phrase "An elephant never forgets", but I don't think I've ever heard anybody say "(S)he's got a memory like an elephant" or anything like that.

Is it used that way in other places/cultures? I've been around a bit, but I've never heard it used that way. :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Davey944676 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:22 am

A phrase just occurred to me which (unusually?) isn't regularly paraphrased to use as a metaphor to describe somebody or something else...

I have often heard the phrase "An elephant never forgets", but I don't think I've ever heard anybody say "(S)he's got a memory like an elephant" or anything like that.

Is it used that way in other places/cultures? I've been around a bit, but I've never heard it used that way. :)

Hi, I believe that elephants are very smart and they have the largest brain among land animals. The brain's temporal lobes, which act as a memory store, are much larger in elephants than in humans.

Research has shown that they can remember and recognize up to 200 individuals of their species encountered in their lives.
Thanks to their reliable memory, they know where there is water or food and they know the hiking routes very well. They can sleep standing up and 2 hours of sleep is enough for them to function normally, where a person needs a comfortable bed to get a good night's sleep and more hours to regenerate and I think we are far from elephants! hehe :)

In our country, they say as heavy as an elephant or a fat elephant, but I have never heard anyone say: this man is smart like an elephant, we rather compare wise people to an owl and say "smart like an owl"

"Owl, wise head" - Polish proverb
"Sowa mądra głowa" - polskie przysłowie

Davey, na tej stronie, możesz poćwiczyć język polski:

https://www.wwf.pl/aktualnosci/7-rzeczy ... -od-ciebie

mały dodatek :)

U nas w Polsce używamy takich porównań: uparty jak osioł, chytry jak lis, powolny jak żółw, wierny jak pies, dumny jak paw, zdrowy jak ryba, mądry jak sowa, łagodny jak baranek, paplać jak papuga, zręczny jak kot, pracowity jak pszczółka/ mrówka, tchórzliwy jak zając.

Last edited by Dana_Dany Danuta on Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Davey944676 wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:22 am

In English comparing people to animals is usually done in a derogatory way. I can't think of any positive connotations just negative, although we do attach good qualities to certain animals.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention] I read this fascinating story about elephants. [This story is from some time in the past.]
A male bull elephant rushed out of the jungle in great distress with two arrows in his hide. A native and his white master saw this elephant and drove it into a ravine to cobble it in order to remove the arrows. While the white man held a gun in case things went bad, the native being more agile darted towards the bull and quickly pulled out the arrows and removed the rope holding the elephant. The elephant whirled into the jungle.
Sometime later a group of guerillas attacked this man. All was not going well with the battle, when suddenly out of the jungle thundered a herd of angry elephants! Now guerillas were one thing, but facing a herd of elephants was something else entirely worse! Around the house the stampeding, stamping and trumpeting loudly. But they weren't after the occupants, they attacked the guerillas. They drove them all into the jungle.
Then the bull elephant came, and the native went towards him and elephant caressed him with his trunk. Afterwhile the native said to his master, "He wants to meet you." And the white man went out, and the elephant touched him. He had remembered.
How did the elephant know the guerillas would attack? Perhaps he saw what they did to other people and saw them going that way and so brought the herd to defend the men who had helped him. Usually female elephants guide the herd, but he must of told them about it somehow.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:28 am

@Dana_Dany Danuta I read this fascinating story about elephants. [This story is from some time in the past.]
A male bull elephant rushed out of the jungle in great distress with two arrows in his hide. A native and his white master saw this elephant and drove it into a ravine to cobble it in order to remove the arrows. While the white man held a gun in case things went bad, the native being more agile darted towards the bull and quickly pulled out the arrows and removed the rope holding the elephant. The elephant whirled into the jungle.
Sometime later a group of guerillas attacked this man. All was not going well with the battle, when suddenly out of the jungle thundered a herd of angry elephants! Now guerillas were one thing, but facing a herd of elephants was something else entirely worse! Around the house the stampeding, stamping and trumpeting loudly. But they weren't after the occupants, they attacked the guerillas. They drove them all into the jungle.
Then the bull elephant came, and the native went towards him and elephant caressed him with his trunk. Afterwhile the native said to his master, "He wants to meet you." And the white man went out, and the elephant touched him. He had remembered.
How did the elephant know the guerillas would attack? Perhaps he saw what they did to other people and saw them going that way and so brought the herd to defend the men who had helped him. Usually female elephants guide the herd, but he must of told them about it somehow.

Hi, thank you for this very interesting and fascinating story about elephants. Here you can see their wisdom and memory, because they can repay a man for a good deed.

It is wonderful and amazing!

Cheers, Corinnebelle! :D

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:08 am

In English comparing people to animals is usually done in a derogatory way. I can't think of any positive connotations just negative, although we do attach good qualities to certain animals.

Aw, c'mon,

Brave as a lion,
Strong as an ox,
Clever as a monkey

Last edited by John238922 on Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:54 am

... uparty jak osioł, chytry jak lis, powolny jak żółw, wierny jak pies, dumny jak paw, zdrowy jak ryba, mądry jak sowa, łagodny jak baranek, paplać jak papuga, zręczny jak kot, pracowity jak pszczółka/ mrówka, tchórzliwy jak zając.

Yes, in English we share most of these Polish expressions: stubborn as a donkey (but we usually say "stubborn as a mule"- a mule is a hybrid of a donkey and a horse), sly as a fox, slow as a tortoise, faithful as a dog, proud as a peacock, wise as an owl, gentle as a lamb, to chatter like a parrot, agile as a cat, hardworking as a bee / ant (but we usually say somebody is "busy as a bee"), cowardly like a hare (I had not heard the hare one, but somebody else said it is indeed used in English somewhere)..

I had not heard "zdrowy jak ryba" (healthy as a fish) in English, but you, Danuta, have already taught me this expression previously and I like it very much! :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

LongHenry

Post by LongHenry »

i never thought about this but thank you all for sharing

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

When you look up your Chinese zodiac sign, you sometimes find an animal that you would rather not be associated with, such as the rat or the pig. But all animals in the zodiac are associated with both positive and negative characteristics.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

While browsing through the list of Chinese zodiac signs, the German proverb "sich zum Affen machen" (To make a monkey/a fool of oneself) came to my mind.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

The most common form for the owl in German is female. I just learned by reading the poem in the picture that the English owl seems to be male.

In French different varieties exist: la chouette (feminin), le hibou (male). The one in the picture was "un hibou" (male)

"Le hibou" has feathers that look like ears on the top of his head unlike "la chouette".

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]MoniqueMaRie[/mention] How foolish are monkeys in Germany? I've never thought of monkeys as fools. They seem quite smart to me, although a little bit foolish compared to a human. Dumb donkey is an English idiom.

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

Actually in China monkeys are thought of as cleaver, and donkeys in reality are very smart, but can be stubborn, sort of like the saying stubborn as a mule. The expression dumb as a fox means just the opposite...they are not dumb but rather tricky. Idioms are fun and I love using them in the classroom.

lrai
what's your legacy
Image 🇨🇳 🇷🇺 Learning Yiddish, Chinese, Russian

Cifi

Post by Cifi »

We just discussed "being a chicken" as representing cowardice in Greek from English. A lot of languages seem to share this picture, but I don't think it would work in German.

We might say:

"Du bist ein Angsthase!" (I don't know how to translate this best, as this compound noun doesn't exist beyond this expression as far as I'm aware - a scared rabbit/hare maybe?) or - I perceive that as slightly old-fashioned - "Hasenfuß" (hare's foot), and there also is

"Sei kein Frosch!" (Don't be a frog), but I can only imagine this one in negated statements.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Cifi wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:42 pm

"Du bist ein Angsthase!" (I don't know how to translate this best, as this compound noun doesn't exist beyond this expression as far as I'm aware - a scared rabbit/hare maybe?) or - I perceive that as slightly old-fashioned - "Hasenfuß" (hare's foot), and there also is.

In English 'scaredycat'?

We might also say 'sprang up like a startled hare'.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

![](https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/sp.lN ... f4e0ad7e31)

Squirrel in the headlights!

![](https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/4tzfz ... 2a6a07a502)
Squirrels can do the splits!

![](https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/gxU7X ... 63d2eddb55)
[mention]IceVajal[/mention] Thought you might like this one!

Source

IceVajal
Germany

Post by IceVajal »

Thanks, [mention]Corinnebelle[/mention]! Yes, cats are always welcome! 🐱

N :de: - B2 :us: - Beginner :ru: (Busuu: B1) - :netherlands:

Return to “Random Thoughts”