Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

råder/finns

Will709432

råder/finns

Post by Will709432 »

Probably breaking forum rules by posting more than one question at a time but forum seems kind of dead lately...anyway, this is the question

What's the difference between det råder and det finns? In the book I'm reading, it's used instead of finns quite a lot.

Two examples:

Det råder ingen brist på modiga män vid mitt hov.

Manga av stormannen var också trötta pa den laglöshet som rådde.

Crahdol
Japan

Re: råder/finns

Post by Crahdol »

Hmm... I've actually never given in much though but I guess the easiest explanation is that råder sounds a bit more formal in cases where they are otherwise interchangeable.

Otherwise, råder cannot be used to describe something that physically exists, only situations. finns could be use for both cases but might sound strange for situations.

Det råder/finns brist på socker i hela landet - There's a shortage of sugar all over the nation.
råder sounds more natural and more like a statement of fact than finns.

Det råder/finns gott om socker i mitt skafferi - There's lots of sugar in my pantry.
Here you cannot use råder since you are talking about the physical existence of sugar.

Vänliga hälsningar/Best Regards/よろしくお願いします
Crahdol
| 🇸🇪: Native | 🇬🇧: Fluent | 🇯🇵: N5 |

Will709432

Post by Will709432 »

Cheers. Copying these for the notes I use when I try writing in Swedish. Just in case this forum goes the same way as Duo's one did.

spraka
Sweden

Post by spraka »

I think råder is perhaps used in the book to make it sound more historic, I am not sure, but I think it used to be more common. Another example that pops up in my mind is the song "midnatt råder", midnight... pervails? So that is one way to translate it, and that song might be old enough, or might try to sound older than it is, by using råder as well as the old plural verbform that is out of use. So I'd use råder sparsely in modern language, except possibly in formal and institutional language. Råder can also be a verb though "jag råder dig att..." I advice you to...

I think "finns" is more like is or exist, and råder a bit like exist, but also perveils, and has a tint of... authority about it, that it is the somethin incharge at the moment, be it night instead of day or a state of lawlessness instead of peace. I think the word is related to rå and råd, the first a spirit being in charge of and caring for a part of nature, and the second a council, deciding over something, both of which "råder" over their respective spheres.

Return to “Frågor och svar”