Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Why is the sky blue . . ?!

..Renad
Oman

Why is the sky blue . . ?!

Post by ..Renad »

Why do we see the sky blue . . ?!

If we get close to space, we will see a black sky, because there is nothing scattering sunlight before it reaches our eyes. .

Who among us has never marveled at the beauty of the blue sky on a clear sunny day and wondered why the sky looks blue?! ,,

And does it look blue on other planets, as it does on Earth. . ?!

It was believed among many people that the sky appears blue because sunlight is reflected on the surface of the ocean and returns to the sky . .

But the sky looks blue amid the fields far from the sea . . !!

There is another belief that the source of the blue sky is water droplets in the atmosphere . .

But the sky appears blue in very dry areas such as the desert. .

What is the real source of the color blue . . ?!

The answer may lie in the source of light in our solar system, or rather the sun . .

Sunlight may appear white, but in fact it consists of a spectrum of different colors.

From red to purple. .

But the way sunlight interacts with the atmosphere makes the sky appear blue. .

What is your favorite landscape view . . ?! (Example: mountains, seas, plants, etc.)

Thank you . .

وترى ظُروفَ الأمسِ صارت بلسَمًا
وهي التي أَعيَتْك حينَ تعسّرتْ

رِنــاد

Davey944676
Great Britain

Re: Why is the sky blue . . ?!

Post by Davey944676 »

Ever wondered though, why the light from distant stars at night also comes through the same Earth's atmosphere but they still look generally white, even when low on the horizon where a red sunset would be?

Or why a really bright, white full moon doesn't also turn the sky blue?

I've only wondered about that just this minute, to be honest... :)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Davey944676 wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:25 pm

Ever wondered though, why the light from distant stars at night also comes through the same Earth's atmosphere but they still look generally white, even when low on the horizon where a red sunset would be?

Or why a really bright, white full moon doesn't also turn the sky blue?

I've only wondered about that just this minute, to be honest... :)

Yes, this also intrigued me . .

رِنــاد

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, [mention]..Renad[/mention]!

In order for the sun's rays, which are in all the colors of the rainbow to reach us, they must first overcome the atmosphere and meet the air molecules.

Of all the colors, it is blue light that most readily interacts with the particles of the atmosphere. It is the most diffused. Consequently, it gives the effect of a blue sky.

I generally love the beauty of nature, something I really like and I'm delighted with it! :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:33 pm

Hi, @..Renad!

In order for the sun's rays, which are in all the colors of the rainbow to reach us, they must first overcome the atmosphere and meet the air molecules.

Of all the colors, it is blue light that most readily interacts with the particles of the atmosphere. It is the most diffused. Consequently, it gives the effect of a blue sky.

I generally love the beauty of nature, something I really like and I'm delighted with it! :)

Halo [mention]Dana_Dany Danuta[/mention] . .

Yes ,, you are right . .

Nice me too but I prefer the sea . . ✨

رِنــاد

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

A star/the sun emits radiation far below and beyond the visible spectrum. Microwave type radiation (around 9 cm) is observed with radio-telescopes. Infrared is emitted by the sun, but also by anything warm (humans, mammals, birds, hot water geysers). Infrared radiation can be observed by dedicated IR cameras. Most visible wavelengths get through the atmosphere, but UV, violet and blue light is absorbed and scattered more. Hence the blue appearance of the sky at daytime. The higher on a mountain, the closer to the equator, the darker the shade of blue becomes. On a mountain in the tropics, a cloudless sky may look violet. Near sunset, the sunlight travels so far through the atmosphere that also green wavelengths light get weakened. This gives the sunset its golden red appearance and it also makes the sky turn pale blue.

Stars and the moon are of comparatively weak magnitude. Therefore they have no observable effect in lighting up the sky at night.

And finally: stars vary wildly in their dominant colour (which is best observed outside the atmosphere). The main spectral types are indicted by a letter. From blue to red (and red with molecular bands) those types are O B A F G K M R N S. Our sun is a dwarf star of spectral type G.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

SweNedGuy wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:13 pm

A star/the sun emits radiation far below and beyond the visible spectrum. Microwave type radiation (around 9 cm) is observed with radio-telescopes. Infrared is emitted by the sun, but also by anything warm (humans, mammals, birds, hot water geysers). Infrared radiation can be observed by dedicated IR cameras. Most visible wavelengths get through the atmosphere, but UV, violet and blue light is absorbed and scattered more. Hence the blue appearance of the sky at daytime. The higher on a mountain, the closer to the equator, the darker the shade of blue becomes. On a mountain in the tropics, a cloudless sky may look violet. Near sunset, the sunlight travels so far through the atmosphere that also green wavelengths light get weakened. This gives the sunset its golden red appearance and it also makes the sky turn pale blue.

Stars and the moon are of comparatively weak magnitude. Therefore they have no observable effect in lighting up the sky at night.

And finally: stars vary wildly in their dominant colour (which is best observed outside the atmosphere). The main spectral types are indicted by a letter. From blue to red (and red with molecular bands) those types are O B A F G K M R N S. Our sun is a dwarf star of spectral type G.

This could also be one of the reasons . .

Thx . .

رِنــاد

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

So, what color is the sky truly then ? Black , as you mentioned ? Wow , I’m glad we see blue then.

I read that , too. Years ago , that the sky is not really blue.
Interesting place , This Earth of ours.

When I was quite small and I heard or found out we were in the sky on a spinning ball, I got mad. :)
I’m guessing it scared or irritated me.

Favorite landscape views , would be the oceans. Especially Hawaii . It’s so blue ! I like Mountains covered in snow. Oh, and I love seals and dolphins

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
..Renad
Oman

Post by ..Renad »

Meli578588 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:26 am

So, what color is the sky truly then ? Black , as you mentioned ? Wow , I’m glad we see blue then.

I read that , too. Years ago , that the sky is not really blue.
Interesting place , This Earth of ours.

When I was quite small and I heard or found out we were in the sky on a spinning ball, I got mad. :)
I’m guessing it scared or irritated me.

Favorite landscape views , would be the oceans. Especially Hawaii . It’s so blue ! I like Mountains covered in snow. Oh, and I love seals and dolphins.

Yup . .

Ooh . .

Nice . .

رِنــاد

Return to “Random Thoughts”