Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Language quizzes

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Language quizzes

Post by SweNedGuy »

Would you like to find out how well you can guess any word in a language you have never learnt?

Try your luck with Icelandic, Frisian, Faroese, Luxembourgish just to name a few Germanic languages with few speakers.

Are you a native speaker of a Romance language? Try your luck with Corse, Galician, Provençal, Occitan, Sardinian, Sicilian, Romansh ... and I must have overlooked a few, sorry.

https://testyourlanguage.com/

Opt for "Test Your Language Vocabulary". You get a 60 questions multiple choice test.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Stasia
Poland

Re: Language quizzes

Post by Stasia »

I took the Aymara test and I got 52/60 (more than I thought - derived from my knowledge of Spanish and Quechua).

NOTE: It will ask you for your email at the end of the test, but you don't have to provide your real email - just write anything with an @ in it, and the next window will give you your results.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

I know no Frisian, but a knowledge of German, French and Dutch (minimal in the last case) helped.

frisian.jpg
frisian.jpg (39.16 KiB) Viewed 677 times

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

Deleted User 114

Post by Deleted User 114 »

I took the Maltese and the Spanish course, both of those languages I have no experience in. On the Maltese course I got a meager 27/60 score, on the Spanish quiz I did a little bit better, and I got a 41/60 on that one.

Even though I didn’t have very high scores, I enjoyed taking the quizzes!

Sidor
Thailand

Post by Sidor »

Got 57/60 on Lao, except I'm a Thai who claim I hardly know the alphabet used in Lao except those that look super similar to the same letters in Thai. I guess the fact that I picked up random Isaan words (the regional language of northeast Thailand which is virtually the same root as Lao) from years of watching Thai TV also helps... so even if some words in Lao aren't the same as Central Thai language, I could guess from knowing the Isaan words for them.

As for Russian which I unsuccessfully tried to learn on-and-off for years until I started Duolingo course in late August: 59/60. Might try every other Slavic language available there to see how much the Russian and minimal Ukrainian from Duolingo (and random words from Ex-Yugo languages) knowledge will help me.

Edited: 49 in Croatian and 52 in Czech.

🇹🇭 Native :us: B2-C1 :ru: A2

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Post by SweNedGuy »

Testing any language related to your mother tongue is like a walk in the park. As a native Dutch speaker, I got 'Stalinist' scores for both Frisian and Afrikaans, though I never learnt any of them. Same for Luxembourgish, which is like a German dialect with loads of French loan words. Yet remarkably also the Romance regional languages worked out well for me. I'm a L2 French speaker, but also rather fluent at Spanish.

Guess I would be totally lost when testing any language from a different family.

Speaking :netherlands: :fr: :uk: :es: Learning :de:(B2-) :it:(B1) Image :sweden: :portugal: Image (A)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I got 56 of 60 in Hebrew!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Anitarrc
Costa Rica

Post by Anitarrc »

Just tried occitan and had 58/60.
Guess the DL Catalá course helped.. and yes I'm fluent in Spanish and French. I expected it to be closer to Catalan but it turned out there was more French in it .

SweNedGuy
Belgium

Language quizzes / Occitan

Post by SweNedGuy »

Anitarrc wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:46 am

Just tried occitan and had 58/60.
Guess the DL Catalá course helped.. and yes I'm fluent in Spanish and French. I expected it to be closer to Catalan but it turned out there was more French in it .

There are several academies (Montpellier, Toulouse, ...) where the language is being taught.
Diccionari General de la Lenga Occitana: Dictionary of the Occitan language

As with all heavily endangered languages, mainly spoken among friends and relatives, dialectal variation is the main threat. North of Perpignan, Catalan gradually morphs into Occitan. East of the Rhône, Occitan speakers call their language Provençal. It is barely intelligible with the Occitan of Gascogne or Béarn. Occitan/Provençal is also spoken in the Italian border region where it gradually transits to the local Piemontese.

Joseph Canteloube (1879-1957) revived the interest in Occitan poetry in his compositions "Chants d'Auverge". Fragment : Bailerò sung by María Bayo

Return to “Languages not yet covered...”