Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

O, adamla kadının arasında. (en → tr)

sentence bot 🤖

O, adamla kadının arasında. (en → tr)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

O, adamla kadının arasında.

en: He is between the man and the woman.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/7965005

O.Zoe
Greece

Re: O, adamla kadının arasında. (en → tr)

Post by O.Zoe »

---
I accidentally wrote "O adamla kadın arasında" instead of "O, adamla kadının arasında". My sentence got accepted, but I wonder why.

Isn't the genitive suffix on the second noun mandatory? orde90 writes in their comment "We don't need to repeat the endings if we use and (ve or ile)", but I thought that applies to the first noun (adam). So, which of the following sentences are correct?

1. O, adamın ve kadının arasında.

2. O, adam ve kadının arasında.

3. O, adamın ve kadın arasında.

4. O, adamla kadının arasında.

5. O, adamla kadın arasında.

6. O, adamın ile kadının arasında.

7. O, adamın ile kadın arasında.

8. O, adam ile kadının arasında.

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

O.Zoe wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:26 pm

---
I accidentally wrote "O adamla kadın arasında" instead of "O, adamla kadının arasında". My sentence got accepted, but I wonder why.

Isn't the genitive suffix on the second noun mandatory?

It is not; "X ve/ile y arasında" often implies involvement—as in a conflict or a secret between x and y—and not so often location—especially in colloquial speech. So it may no be the best translation but is still passable. And the system probably took that o for "the".

O.Zoe wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:26 pm

orde90 writes in their comment "We don't need to repeat the endings if we use and (ve or ile)", but I thought that applies to the first noun (adam). So, which of the following sentences are correct?

1. O, adamın ve kadının arasında.

2. O, adam ve kadının arasında.

3. O, adamın ve kadın arasında.

4. O, adamla kadının arasında.

5. O, adamla kadın arasında.

6. O, adamın ile kadının arasında.

7. O, adamın ile kadın arasında.

8. O, adam ile kadının arasında.

What they mean is that we sometimes consider "x ve y" as a whole, rather than x and y separately, and attach suffixes as if it is one word. Therefore your formulation will be "[x ve y]nin". As for ile, it does not tolerate a case suffix behind for some reason (unless it is a possessee suffix), and you always deem "[x ile y]" a whole. With these in mind; your third, sixth and seventh sentences are incorrect.

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:31 pm

It is not; "X ve/ile y arasında" often implies involvement—as in a conflict or a secret between x and y—and not so often location—especially in colloquial speech. So it may no be the best translation but is still passable. And the system probably took that o for "the".

So, if I understood correctly, it has the meaning of "he came between the man and the woman", i.e. he tried to break them up, he created a mess, caused estrangement? Also, "it's between the man and the woman" as in it's a secret only the two of them share, it's something that concerns only the two of them?

Teşekkür ederim, MustafaOuz! :D

MustafaOuz526752

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

O.Zoe wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:01 pm

"it's between the man and the woman" as in it's a secret only the two of them share, it's something that concerns only the two of them?

Exactly.

O.Zoe wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:01 pm

So, if I understood correctly, it has the meaning of "he came between the man and the woman", i.e. he tried to break them up, he created a mess, caused estrangement?

Oh, no. You would use the phrase "araya girmek" for this particular meaning, as in o, adamla kadının arasına girdi.

In my comment, I was analizing the general use of "X ve/ile y arasında". O, adamla kadın arasında most commonly implies "a secret/dispute concerns only a given man and a woman", and it could also mean "a person stays with a man on one side and a woman on the other" if a suitable context is provided. My previous comment was a bit confusing, but this one cleared it up, hopefully :D

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

MustafaOuz526752 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:10 pm

Oh, no. You would use the phrase "araya girmek" for this particular meaning, as in o, adamla kadının arasına girdi.

Okay, that makes sense. Teşekkürler!

@.bdllh
Netherlands

Post by @.bdllh »

Actually punctuation was supposed to be considered. If you say "He (that/it) is between the man and the woman", it means "O, adamla kadın arasında." If we remove the comma and say "O adamla kadın arasında..." then the translation is "Between that man and the woman"

Return to “Turkish”