Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] What are the pronunciation rules for ו, ה and כ?

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVE] What are the pronunciation rules for ו, ה and כ?

Post by Corinnebelle »

James159332 wrote:I have almost finished the tree, but there are some minor details about the words ו (and), כּ (as) and ה (the).

Sometimes ו is pronounced ve and sometimes va. I already know the rules for when it is pronounced u, so I don't need an explanation for that, but I do need an explanation to know when to pronounce it as ve or as va. For example, "and a horse" is וסוס, "vesus", but "and me" is ואני, "va'ani". I would like to know what determines if the vowel is e or a. As I said, I already know the rule for when it is וּ, u.

Another thing is the word כּ. It can have three vowels, i, e , or a. כדבש is "kidvash", while כסוס is "kasus", while כציפור is "ketzipor". What are the rules for these vowel variations?

The final thing is the word ה. "The sand" is הַחוֹל with patach while "the man" is הׇאׇדׇם with kamatz. And "the mountains" is הֶהָרִים, "heharim" with a segol. What determines if it is patach, kamatz or segol?

Archive of comments

Please let me know if you don't want your post on here.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Alefbet”