Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Is there a backup for archive posts?

This is for Duome related issues only, about the Progress pages, about the Forum itself.
ATTENTION : For Duolingo issues, write to Duolingo support.

Corinnebelle

Is there a backup for archive posts?

Post by Corinnebelle »

I just messed up this post trying to organize things.

viewtopic.php?t=1299-archive-how-do-you-pronounce-ו-and

It was called What are the pronunciation rules for ו, ה and כ? The letters ח and כ are sometimes difficult to pronounce Chet or chaf?

It is now called [ARCHIVE] The letters ח and כ are sometimes difficult to pronounce

I was trying to split up my post, but I wiped the pasteboard.

Is there any chance you have a backup? [mention]duome[/mention]

I think I don't have an archive.ph save for this one. Tried searching and looking everywhere!

The missing part pertains to What are the pronunciation rules for ו, ה and כ?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Re: Is there a backup for archive posts?

Post by duome »

We do have 3 days of backups.
I can do it tomorrow morning.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

duome wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:00 pm

We do have 3 days of backups.
I can do it tomorrow morning.

Thank you! Thank you! It's the first part of the post. The weather's messing with my cognition!

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]duome[/mention] Where you able to get a backup of my post from before I changed it?

duome

Post by duome »

How do you pronounce ו (and)?

Geomountain wrote:

Sometimes the vav letter for 'and' is pronounced 've' but sometimes 'ouh' – when and why does this occur? תודה!

Archive of comments

What are the pronunciation rules for ו, ה and כ?

James159332 wrote:\nI have almost finished the tree, but there are some minor details about the words ו (and), כּ (as) and ה (the).

Sometimes ו is pronounced ve and sometimes va. I already know the rules for when it is pronounced u, so I don't need an explanation for that, but I do need an explanation to know when to pronounce it as ve or as va. For example, "and a horse" is וסוס, "vesus", but "and me" is ואני, "va'ani". I would like to know what determines if the vowel is e or a. As I said, I already know the rule for when it is וּ, u.

Another thing is the word כּ. It can have three vowels, i, e , or a. כדבש is "kidvash", while כסוס is "kasus", while כציפור is "ketzipor". What are the rules for these vowel variations?

The final thing is the word ה. "The sand" is הַחוֹל with patach while "the man" is הׇאׇדׇם with kamatz. And "the mountains" is הֶהָרִים, "heharim" with a segol. What determines if it is patach, kamatz or segol?

Archive of comments

The letters ח and כ are sometimes difficult to pronounce

James159332 wrote:

Hello!

I have been studying Hebrew for a year. My studies have been going well, but I still have problems with the pronunciation of the "ch" sounds in several words.

The word "חתול" is easy for me but I find "החתול" more difficult to pronounce. (either hechatul or hachatul, both are hard).

I also find the preposition לך (lecha or lach) hard, while לכם and לכן are easier.

It depends on the place in the word where the ch sound occurs which determines if I find it hard to pronounce. The following sentence is hard:

יש לך חתול?

while this sentence is easy:

יש לכם כלב?

Some sentences here in Duolingo I have to say out loud several times before I get the ch sounds right.

Does anyone else find the ch sounds in Hebrew difficult even after a year of studying? What could help to make difficult sentences with ch sounds easier?

Archive of comments

Chet or chaf?

L_Kr wrote:

Is there some subtle difference in pronunciation, by which I mean here on this website, not historically or in different parts of the world? If not, is there some rule as to which one to use when trying to spell a word that has been spoken, something like "I before E except after C"? Or, is it just necessary to memorize which letter appears in each word?

Archive of comments

If you don't want your post on Duolingo, please let me know immediately, and I will remove it.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]duome[/mention] Got it thank you!

Return to “Troubleshooting Duome”