Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Need friends for the friend quest

haledyr
Denmark

Need friends for the friend quest

Post by haledyr »

Hi all

Apparently all my friends were paired up with other friends this week and left me feeling all sad and sorry all by my lonesome self. 🫣

So I need more friends on my list!
If you would like to do some friend quests with me, come find me. 🤗

Duolingo username: haledyr

(Hope I posted this in the right place)

Corinnebelle

Re: Need friends for the friend quest

Post by Corinnebelle »

Hi [mention]haledyr[/mention] I moved this to Random Thoughts. Usually requests is for Duome forum and statistics. Hope you find some friends!

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Hi, [mention]haledyr[/mention]!

Good luck finding friends! :)

Last edited by Dana_Dany Danuta on Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Davey944676
Great Britain

Post by Davey944676 »

I don't even know what the friend quest is. Is it a new thing? Or an app thing?

(I use the web version.)

🇬🇧 British Native....Learning Polish 🇵🇱, Russian 🇷🇺, Romanian 🇷🇴, Ukrainian 🇺🇦, French 🇫🇷, Welsh :wales:

Saperlipopette!

Friend Quest

Post by Saperlipopette! »

A new feature appeared on the app today called a Friend Quest.

I guess they call someone who follows you & you follow them a friend. So they pick this friend and said we're gonna have a contest.

We have to complete thirty lessons lessons in four days while figuring out the rules. So I found out that these count:

• New lessons on app
  • Story on app
  • Practicing a skill in app
  • Practicing a legendary skill on app.

These don't count :

• Hearts practice on app (sometimes)
  • Anything on web: Dumbbell practice, individual skill practice, checkpoint practice, story.

I don't know if the other guy is active. Also you can't see this contest on the web version of Duo & nothing counts there anyway. It won't matter: thirty lessons in four days, as the rules are now, I've got us covered.

A few years ago they used to have a league contest, where everyone in the league worked toward an aggregate group goal. That's long gone.

On the app it is the cup icon.

I'm in Duo for schools so no leagues anymore. That could be one of the factors determining who is in this contest.

![](

Last edited by Saperlipopette! on Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corinnebelle

Re: Friend Quest

Post by Corinnebelle »

Interesting! [mention]haledyr[/mention] over here needs friends for the friends quest.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

:oops:

Saperlipopette! wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:23 pm

A new feature appeared on the app today called a Friend Quest.

I guess they call someone who follows you & you follow them a friend. So they pick this friend and said we're gonna have a contest.

I don’t think of it as a contest so much as a cooperative endeavor, although your friend doesn’t have to participate for you to win the reward for both of you. And you can treat it as a contest if you want. See who can get the most lessons done before the time is up. The reward will be 100 gems and 30 minutes double xp. Those thirty minutes are so far known to start the moment your friend quest is over, so I try not to be in the middle of a double xp time when it begins.

🇺🇦

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

I like the cooperative component of this new feature. I see that the goals are not always the same for everyone. For example [mention]lama.03[/mention] and I have to get over 1.000 points together to win the reward. Easy peasy ;)

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Deleted User 133

Post by Deleted User 133 »

I and [mention]Jacko079[/mention] have to complete 20 lessons. Fighto!

Saperlipopette!

I'm still not sure what counts as a lesson and what doesn't. As of this moment it says I've done ten lessons and here is my log.

2022-07-27 23:00:38 · 23XP stories / challenges / checkpoints / etc.
2022-07-27 22:29:30 · 35XP stories / challenges / checkpoints / etc.
2022-07-27 17:43:19 · 20XP lesson Life 2
2022-07-27 16:10:03 · 24XP lesson Business
2022-07-27 14:36:51 · 28XP stories / challenges / checkpoints / etc.
2022-07-27 14:24:09 · 10XP practice Reflexives 2
2022-07-27 13:58:03 · 23XP practice Future Tense
2022-07-27 13:37:29 · 23XP stories / challenges / checkpoints / etc.
2022-07-27 12:33:19 · 90XP practice Protest
2022-07-27 12:02:18 · 86XP practice Junk
2022-07-27 11:56:17 · 86XP practice Life
2022-07-27 11:50:21 · 46XP practice Pres Tense 2
2022-07-27 03:51:06 · 10XP stories / challenges / checkpoints / etc.
2022-07-27 03:14:01 · 28XP stories / challenges / checkpoints / etc.
2022-07-27 03:01:56 · 10XP stories / challenges / checkpoints / etc.
2022-07-27 02:30:04 · 10XP stories / challenges / checkpoints / etc.

The XP tells you where I did the lesson except for the two stories. For those the first I did on web and the second at 1436 I did on App.

I suppose we'll figure out the rules eventually. One thing's for sure is that Duolingo isn't going to tell us. They're probably making them up as we go along.

Saperlipopette!

I checked that userid in Duome. id created in 2013, 98 xp lifetime. That can't be right.

Deleted User 1929

Post by Deleted User 1929 »

Explorer wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:16 am

I like the cooperative component of this new feature. I see that the goals are not always the same for everyone. For example @lama.03 and I have to get over 1.000 points together to win the reward. Easy peasy ;)

We got this 😁

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:25 am

I checked that userid in Duome. id created in 2013, 98 xp lifetime. That can't be right.

Maybe she just likes having friends, and Duo is just the mean to that end... :?:

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

haledyr
Denmark

Post by haledyr »

Oh, my username is actually haledyr_dk
https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Haledyr_DK
I’d forgotten that 🤦🏻‍♀️ I have never seen anyone else using haledyr. It’s not an actual word, I made it up, but of course someone else can make up the same word.

Friend quest is a new thing on the app.
It’s silly, I know, but I can’t leave a quest unresolved, so it has me doing more lessons.
I don’t really care if it’s lame, as long as it motivates me to learn more.

haledyr
Denmark

Post by haledyr »

Dana_Dany Danuta wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:40 am

Hi, @haledyr!

Yes, this is your user page in DL:
https://www.duolingo.com/profile/haledyr

I wonder why you aren't trying to invite someone to your friends? .... after all, you can also have more friends, not just 1 person that you haven't added to your friends yet!

Good luck finding friends! :)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Haledyr_DK
Is me.

I already have everyone I know who uses duolingo on my friend list.

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

[mention]haledyr[/mention], it's great that you already have all your friends who are using duolingo on your friend list! :)

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

Saperlipopette!

I filed a bug report on my last post here. I told them I made the assumption that web lessons don't count in Friend Quest. I told them the five I did on the web then I told them that leaves 15, but I was credited for 14. I think the one that wasn't counted was the hearts lesson at 13:37. But maybe there was a delay in the counting and it didn't count the Future Tense practice at 1358 or the story on the app after it. Anyway, it's enough for them to figure out which wasn't counted if they wanna do research. It's not enough to recreate the bug but we're talking about Day One of Friend Quest for me.

As for the feature itself it looks like my Duolingo Friend either went on summer vacation from Duo on Jul 2 or maybe (hopefully not) had a firework accident for the holidays. So it's up to me to kick butt & take prisoners. As of this writing it is 15 down and 15 to go.

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

I have my first friend quest, but I'm on the android app, so my friend quest is only one person. It must look weird for the friend.
![Screenshot-2022-07-27-07-44-46-1.png](https://i.postimg.cc/Njf1pDVP/Screenshot-2022-07-27-07-44-46-1.png)

I'm as dry as a mouse.

Helge.

Post by Helge. »

Our quest was: "Score 90% or higher in 15 lessons." (And stories counted towards the lessons.)

learn vocab with/against me on Drops https://invite.languagedrops.com/ZApJ6kbeBuB3kvVy6 lerne Vokabeln mit mir oder gegen mich

Saperlipopette!

Helge. wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:41 pm

(And stories counted towards the lessons.)

Well, they sort of count for me. The ones I do on the web don't count. Bad news for me because the web gives me a choice of modes while app is only read mode. I like the conversation mode feature in stories on the web, and since I only do one story a day I'll take the hit & keep doing them on the web.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:35 am
Helge. wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:41 pm

(And stories counted towards the lessons.)

The ones I do on the web don't count.

Yes, that is also the case for me. I do half or most of my lessons on the web, so those don’t count for finishing the friends quest. :?

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

Saperlipopette!

Jacko079 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:57 am

I do half of most of my lessons on the web, so those don’t count for finishing the friends quest. :?

R U having any problems with stuff not counted ? So far I've had two hearts lessons that weren't counted. Both were lessons I completed right after doing my web work.

The reason why I'm asking is the bug might have something to do with me doing work on web and on the app.

Also they botched up the XP again. They say Lesson Complete 23 XP, but award 15 on Duome & Duo for schools. They screwed this up sometime yesterday.

Jacko079
United States of America

Post by Jacko079 »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:55 am
Jacko079 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:57 am

I do half or most of my lessons on the web, so those don’t count for finishing the friends quest. :?

R U having any problems with stuff not counted ? So far I've had two hearts lessons that weren't counted. Both were lessons I completed right after doing my web work.

The reason why I'm asking is the bug might have something to do with me doing work on web and on the app.

Also they botched up the XP again. They say Lesson Complete 23 XP, but award 15 on Duome & Duo for schools. They screwed this up sometime yesterday.

Yes, I have had a few lessons on the app that I did that didn’t count. Why, I’m not sure. The lessons I do on the web do not count for finishing the quest.

Come to think of it, the few lessons that I did on the app that didn’t count, might have been after I did some lessons on the web. I’m not sure, but it might have been after that.

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: friend quest

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Last week's task was to "get 20 perfect lessons".

That meant full concentration on the one hand, but on the other hand I couldn't - as I often do - play around to see if certain answers were also accepted. Usually they aren't (yet).
Otherwise I would have left all the work to the one who was randomly assigned to me and she would surely have cursed that choice.

I am curious to see what the next task will be. Apparently there are always different ones.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Saperlipopette!

Last week my friend must have heard the buzz about Friend Quest because he did a few lessons. We reached our goal easily. The reward was as someone else stated, double XP for half an hour & a hundred gems, which is chump change.

I mostly switched to some web work to do checkpoint practices and conversation mode stories, but it's nice to meet the daily goal on the web. The prizes are exorbitant. Two lingots are like a couple thousand gems. Every ten days I get ten percent of my steak. That's an enormous reward. You can't buy anything with lingots but they're shiny and hoard-able.

This week they picked a new friend. They made our goal 1400 XP.

The rub is they're cutting XP on lessons. Since the stated XP seems to match the XP awarded on Duo for schools & duome, I didn't file a bug report. Something has to be done about people getting a thousand XP for 15 minutes of completing set one lessons, so I don't mind them cutting XP. Stories should be chopped too, but it's still twenty-eight XP or more for answering a handful of multiple choice questions. Also, web work is excluded from the competition.

They picked an active friend for me this week so we should meet our goal. Elle s'appelle Hélène ... Comme la chanson a dit, elle était une fille comme les autres.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I do not have this new feature, so I guess I will be competing and fighting against myself. 😊😊

Looks like , I win !

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:26 am

They picked an active friend for me this week so we should meet our goal. Elle s'appelle Hélène ... Comme la chanson a dit, elle était une fille comme les autres.

Wow, I didn't notice the language change in the paragraph until I read it a second time. Il me semble que je passe maintenant assez facilement de l'anglais au français, même sans m'en rendre compte.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “Random Thoughts”