Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Giving lingots to other users

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

Jacko079
United States of America

Giving lingots to other users

Post by Jacko079 »

On the late Duolingo forum there was a feature where a user could give lingots to another user if they wished.

Is it possible that that feature could also be on here?

I know almost nothing about coding, programming, whatever, etc. so, if this is an unreasonable request, please tell me. :)

Learning: Italian and Arabic.

duome

Re: Giving lingots to other users

Post by duome »

Thanks, upvotes or lingots are basically the same things designed in different shapes. We could replace a thumb up with an up arrow with a count next to it and call it an upvote, or we could replace it with a lingot image and even move it to the bottom of the post to resemble the old forum "give a lingot" feature (with an exception that you can only give it once and, strangely enough, you can always take it away :twisted: ), or we could make it heart-shaped and call it something else...

What would you prefer?)

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

The problem with lingots is the currency is not transferrable to another platform. I can't transfer any lingots I earned from Duolingo to Duome. Although I do wish I could give lingots sometimes! Of course accumulated the upvotes look a bit like lingots.

Whether we want to invent our own currency on here, I don't know. What would we call it? Lingots sound like they come from lingo. How would it be implemented? How would we earn them? On Duome, we had the upvote button and we had a lingot button. Whereas upvotes could easily be handed out, my lingots only went to really special posts. Depending on how generous I felt. We could also give more than one lingot, but we can only give one thanks.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

It would be technically possible to keep track of how many lingots you gave away on duome and subtract that number from the amount of lingots reported by duolingo - to stay within the limits.

By the way,
Un "lingote" en español = "trozo o barra de metal bruto fundido, en especial de hierro o de un metal noble, como el oro, la plata o el platino".
Un "lingotto" in italiano = "massello di metallo ottenuto per colata entro apposita forma".

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Wouldn't you still be able to spend your lingots on streaks on Duolingo while having already given them away on Duome? I can see us transferring lingot over, but then they would still be there on Duolingo even though one might have used them up on Duome. I guess we could call them linqots?

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:39 am

Wouldn't you still be able to spend your lingots on streaks on Duolingo while having already given them away on Duome? can see us transferring lingot over, but then they would still be there on Duolingo even though one might have used them up on Duome. I guess we could call them linqots?

Yea, but that's beyound our control, yet there's a possibility for a bit of gamification on our side. In a better sense of this word.. )

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

So maybe when you earn lingots on Duolingo they could go into both coffers, than they can be spent simultaneously however one chooses?

I'm just wondering how that would work with the statistics board?

duome

Post by duome »

We can think of it like this, yes. As if you got not just one lingot but two - one for duolingo, one for duome. Then spend them as you wish.

Still the problem is - if one gets 100 lingots on duolingo, spends them all on duome, then spends them all again on duolingo.... then duome lingot count would be minus 100 lingots - because there's no one easy way to track how much we spend on duolingo (unless we keep daily snapshots at least for every duome forum user, then we could compensate for the recorded difference, yet it wouldn't be the absolute accurate calculation anyway - it could still be off, more or less).

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

I think we should have a Duome bank, and keep that separate from our spending on Duolingo. So maybe that statistic would be kept separate from our total from Duolingo. We can add to our cache here by earning them via Duolingo but we cannot take away from our Duolingo fund via Duome. Of course one could get more complicated, but I think that is the simplest. The other thing is if we give people lingots here, that would change our Duome bank number for the people who receive the lingots, while Duolingo's count wouldn't increase. It's whatever you want to come up with. Maybe [mention]Jacko079[/mention] has some thoughts too?

I don't know if it is all too complicated?

duome

Post by duome »

Where would "duome lingots" come from initially? If one gets 100 lingots on duolingo - duome gets 100 lingots as well. If they spend them all on duolingo and never get more than 100 lingots again, but still do get some - how would they stack up with what's already on duome? It would always be an estimation of the real figures, which doesn't sound like the best idea (it's either accurate or it's totally not).

We could probably have a totally different currency based on the number of new lessons we actually learn, making it a finite and relatively low amount of lingots we could get per tree, which would probably encorage to learn more content (as opposed to endless repetition of the same skills), and give these lingots more value and more pleasure when we give them away, as it used to be way back on duolingo forum when we would only give lingots to some really good posts?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

How do we authenticate a transfer of lingots earnt on another site? Would a bot check the email address is the same for both accounts? I don't know if you can have several Duolingo accounts from one address. I think some people might use a different name to here and there and then there could be a mix up. Others might take advantage of the system. I suppose one could send it manually via a screenshot of their email address for their Duolingo account in settings.

duome

Post by duome »

The easiest (and automated) way is to simply check emails. Another reliable option would be adding a verification code to your duolingo display name (or whatever is available for editing), let duome see it, then revert everything back to normal.

John238922
Australia

Post by John238922 »

Block chain.

Duome lingots, the new crypto currency.

lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

I have more of them then I will ever use...there are only so many freeze streaks one can buy. So unless I wake up one morning to a new world order with a new world currency (lingots?) they have and will be useless. Anyone that wants can have mine with my blessings and enjoy!

lrai
what's your legacy
Image 🇨🇳 🇷🇺 Learning Yiddish, Chinese, Russian

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I don’t get lingots daily. I don’t have a chest like others , either.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

Meli578588:

I never got daily lingots but rather I get weekly if I don't miss a day. So for every week I do without missing a single day I get lingots based on the number of weeks I have gone without missing. I am at 93 weeks to date which means when I complete the next week I will get 94 lingots. I believe that's how it is for most people.

lrai
what's your legacy

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

duome wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:59 am

Thanks, upvotes or lingots are basically the same things designed in different shapes. We could replace a thumb up with an up arrow with a count next to it and call it an upvote, or we could replace it with a lingot image and even move it to the bottom of the post to resemble the old forum "give a lingot" feature (with an exception that you can only give it once and, strangely enough, you can always take it away :twisted: ), or we could make it heart-shaped and call it something else...

What would you prefer?)

I would prefer it being called "liked" or "upvoted", like for me "thanking" for posts is only appropriate when I have a question and someone answers it

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

Dear Meli:

WOW that is odd...but it's not odd that reaching someone at the site is difficult. Keep trying, however lingots are only good for buying streak freezes now and not for anything else. If I could I give you many of mine, it's a useless "currency" as far as I am concerned.

I more thing, how many weeks have you gone without missing a day? If you do 1 week then at the end of that week you get lingots, so for me I have 94 weeks without a break so when I finish this next 7 days I will get 95 lingots. Maybe that's the problem??

lrai
what's your legacy

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] [mention]lrai[/mention] I still get daily lingots. Plus 1 lingot for every ten days, so like for 60 days 6 lingots and so on.

[mention]LICA98[/mention] There's a tick button you can use if you ask a question in a topic and someone answers you.

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

Last edited by Meli578588 on Fri Sep 01, 2023 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Meli578588[/mention] I believe so although I have an old account that doesn't need lingots for legendary.

timothy
United States of America

giving lingots

Post by timothy »

I'd really love if we were able to give lingots to other people like we used to be able to and exchange lingots for gems. thanks!

Steven683729
United States of America

Post by Steven683729 »

[quote=Corinnebelle post_id=22987 time=1658813231 user_id=103]
The problem with lingots is the currency is not transferrable to another platform. I can't transfer any lingots I earned from Duolingo to Duome. Although I do wish I could give lingots sometimes! Of course accumulated the upvotes look a bit like lingots.

Whether we want to invent our own currency on here, I don't know. What would we call it? Lingots sound like they come from lingo. How would it be implemented? How would we earn them? On Duome, we had the upvote button and we had a lingot button. Whereas upvotes could easily be handed out, my lingots only went to really special posts. Depending on how generous I felt. We could also give more than one lingot, but we can only give one thanks.

Hi Corinnebelle,
מה נשמע? אני גם מדבר עברית.
Is there a way to do the Legendary Level without using Lingots? I have run out of lingots on my PC. I am not a paying member.
I saw somewhere in the forum that it is possible. Do you know how to do that?
תודה

01tmJ8kb

Post by 01tmJ8kb »

Steven683729 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:54 pm

Is there a way to do the Legendary Level without using Lingots? I have run out of lingots on my PC. I am not a paying member.

In the past it has been possible to be offered 3 days of Plus membership free (and without having to give card details) when your streak is a multiple of 50 days, for example 100 days, 150 days, etc. However everything is changing at Duolingo at the moment, and I don't know whether this freebie still exists.

:gb: N :de: A1 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 A1 :fr: A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Steven683729[/mention]

סבבה!

I'm not sure that you can do legendary without lingots unless you have an account that was over a certain age when legendary was brought in.

Steven683729
United States of America

Post by Steven683729 »

I was referring to this post by --, where he/she says there's a way to do the Ledgendary Level without lingots. He gives a web address. But I didn't understand how to use the web address he gives. What does he mean by "Body" in https://www.duolingo.com/skill/cs/Body? What should I put in for "Body"?
Anyway, this was the post:
It is also possible without lingots (when you have already spent them) or PLUS. Just manually paste (copy) URL for a five-crown skill, e.g. : https://www.duolingo.com/skill/cs/Body I think Duolingo should do something against it. Otherwise, ...

Otar_Siradze
Georgia

Post by Otar_Siradze »

01tmJ8kb wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:45 pm
Steven683729 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:54 pm

In the past it has been possible to be offered 3 days of Plus membership free (and without having to give card details) when your streak is a multiple of 50 days, for example 100 days, 150 days, etc. However everything is changing at Duolingo at the moment, and I don't know whether this freebie still exists.

It is still possible. I used it yesterday (streak 150, 2022-10-12).
But at streak 200 it not possible (2022-11-30).

Last edited by Otar_Siradze on Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lrai
United States of America

Post by lrai »

Currently they are pushing the new Duolingo Super thing, and you can get two weeks for free. It's totally up to you. Personally I feel if a site is touting how they are "free" and then they push a paid version, is it really "free"? Just rhetorically asking...LOL

lrai
what's your legacy

timothy
United States of America

Post by timothy »

Steven683729 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:53 am

I was referring to this post by --, where he/she says there's a way to do the Ledgendary Level without lingots. He gives a web address. But I didn't understand how to use the web address he gives. What does he mean by "Body" in https://www.duolingo.com/skill/cs/Body? What should I put in for "Body"?
Anyway, this was the post:
It is also possible without lingots (when you have already spent them) or PLUS. Just manually paste (copy) URL for a five-crown skill, e.g. : https://www.duolingo.com/skill/cs/Body I think Duolingo should do something against it. Otherwise, ...

sorry but what was that link supposed to be for?? I used it and it just took me to normal duo page...idk

Return to “Requests new Duome features”