Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Dark theme issues

Ask, and we'll consider your request. Provide an accurate description of what you would like to do/have, and we'll consider implementing it, if this is technically possible.

coto.i
Romania

Dark theme issues

Post by coto.i »

Pretty please

1. Remove the dark theme image transparency for all images (pictures, flags, smilies, etc.). It doesn't help with visual comfort and the images look drowned.

2. The lateral background is dark only up to a certain height of the page. Then it's again white. Please fix.

dark_theme_issues.png
    dark_theme_issues.png (244.05 KiB) Viewed 1474 times

3. Stick to neuter grays for backgrounds. There's enough blue light already from the display. Maybe try some light orange for color accents, instead of blue.

4. Current font doesn't look as good on the dark theme as on the light theme. Maybe you could find a better one. Look for "display fonts".

Thanks!

🇷🇴 Native Romanian speaker :us: B2-C1 :fr: B1-B2 :es: A2-B1 :de: A1-A2

Stasia
Poland

Re: Dark theme issues

Post by Stasia »

[mention]coto.i[/mention], are you still experiencing this problem? I'm asking because while I had this problem a few days ago (when some other changes were being done by admin), it got fixed the same day.

Today was a major spring cleaning with moving of forums etc, so maybe it was a temporary problem because of that? I'm in the dark mode and I don't have problems.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

The current dark theme is gonna be kinda difficult to fine-tune, as it's based on inverting and hue-rotating all colors, then performing the reverse effect on images to get them back to roughly their original colors. It's a neat hack, but difficult to adjust individual colors, as you're having to calculate what the colors would be if it was a light theme before the adjustment.

Stuff like the image hover effect would be easy to change though.

🦀 Pensando en la inmortalidad del cangrejo 🏴‍☠️ Flags Are Not Languages

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Stasia wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:54 pm

@coto.i, are you still experiencing this problem? I'm asking because while I had this problem a few days ago (when some other changes were being done by admin), it got fixed the same day.

Today was a major spring cleaning with moving of forums etc, so maybe it was a temporary problem because of that? I'm in the dark mode and I don't have problems.

No, It's OK again.

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

coto.i
Romania

Post by coto.i »

Stasia wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:54 pm

@coto.i, are you still experiencing this problem? I'm asking because while I had this problem a few days ago (when some other changes were being done by admin), it got fixed the same day.

Yes, I'm still experiencing the problems. It was always like this.

So, there are two board styles, ProLight and prosilver, and each of them has a Light Mode and a Dark Mode.

I'm using the prosilver style, which is friendlier with the eyes in its Light Mode.

I've noticed that in ProLight style the lateral white background in Dark Mode does not manifest. But in its Light Mode the background is basically white, the brightest white. Also in ProLight's Dark Mode the font looks even worse than in prosilver's Dark Mode.

coto.i
Romania

Post by coto.i »

luo-ning wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:05 pm

The current dark theme is gonna be kinda difficult to fine-tune, as it's based on inverting and hue-rotating all colors, then performing the reverse effect on images to get them back to roughly their original colors. It's a neat hack, but difficult to adjust individual colors, as you're having to calculate what the colors would be if it was a light theme before the adjustment.

Stuff like the image hover effect would be easy to change though.

Inverting colors... not the best move.

There are already excellent dark themes out there that could serve for inspiration. For example, Justin Ikeako's Darklingo++ for Duolingo (https://userstyles.org/styles/169205/darklingo) is one of the best I've seen. Can be used 24/24, no need to switch back from it.

Image hover for 100% image opacity... this should not have even been implemented in the first place.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Post by Basler Biker »

Please don't let "dark" be the main issue. Remember that on DL the post with most votes was of course "the closing" with -7130, but second in row was "I want dark mode" ...with 3145 +votes ... so energy goes to dark rather than the forum content...
We can still chose another theme, don't know what the status is of that, but not for a tiny dark feature.
I switched to dark, and it's all fine, I understand why people like it, and for me it's "over and out"

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

Crahdol
Japan

Post by Crahdol »

Was about to make a new post when I found this thread instead. Hope I'm not late to the party.

I've noticed an issue with using the editor in dark mode. Namely, the color picker has its colors shifted along with the rest of the page, rendering it almost completely useless is dark mode.

I'm no expert, but but should it be possible to fix this using the same trick, mentioned earlier in this thread, to preserve the color of images?

Vänliga hälsningar/Best Regards/よろしくお願いします
Crahdol
| 🇸🇪: Native | 🇬🇧: Fluent | 🇯🇵: N5 |

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

[mention]Crahdol[/mention] I think that's actually correct behavior for how the current dark mode functions, because the colors will be equally shifted in the finished post (for both you and other users on dark mode).

There is precedent in other software for this kind of behavior, e.g. Microsoft Outlook does the same thing — writing in dark blue in light mode becomes light blue in dark mode. While I'm still not sure if shifting colors for the entire UI is a good strategy, it works quite well for user content, because it approximately retains the contrast characteristics: people choose high-contrast colors when they want something to be highly visible, so it should still be highly visible to users in the other mode.

Last edited by luo-ning on Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crahdol
Japan

Post by Crahdol »

[mention]luo-ning[/mention]
Looking back on a post I've made using color formatting in light mode, you are correct. And it makes a lot of sense. Might be confusing for those unaware though. For example

This text is formatted using the bottom left color from the color picker.

In light mode it is clearly red, and it dark mode it is a lighter pinkish color. Either way, the tag is the same 'color=#ff0000'. This may lead the user to expect 100% red in their post, but if they are using dark mode they get the wasted out pink instead.

I think they way it is now is the right way, even if it might cause confusion with inexperienced users.

Vänliga hälsningar/Best Regards/よろしくお願いします
Crahdol
| 🇸🇪: Native | 🇬🇧: Fluent | 🇯🇵: N5 |

-Rocket_
United States of America

Post by -Rocket_ »

It also distorts the text, though maybe that's what you meant in 5.

Hey! I'm -Rocket_. I was pretty active at one point on Duolingo forums, you're a legend if you recognize me ;) . Hope my post helped.

I like to joke

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

-Rocket_ wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:51 am

Can you post a screenshot and your browser/device details? I'm not sure what "distorts" means here. Do you mean that the line width appears thinner on dark mode?

-Rocket_
United States of America

Post by -Rocket_ »

luo-ning wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:54 am
-Rocket_ wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:51 am

Can you post a screenshot and your browser/device details? I'm not sure what "distorts" means here. Do you mean that the line width appears thinner on dark mode?

I can't post a screenshot, but you can use imagine in OP as a reference. In light mode the text, words, look... normal. But as you can see in dark mode, the letters are pixelated. That's an issue, as it makes it hard to read, and harder to reply well.

Hey! I'm -Rocket_. I was pretty active at one point on Duolingo forums, you're a legend if you recognize me ;) . Hope my post helped.

I like to joke

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

-Rocket_ wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:59 am

as you can see in dark mode, the letters are pixelated

They don't look especially pixelated to me (Chrome 100 on Windows 10), but I I think it's because text rendering works a little differently when colors are inverted. Specifically, sub-pixel rendering is disabled, which might have a bigger effect depending on your device and browser.

Here's a side-by-side of what I see, zoomed to 800% (your results may vary):

subpixel.png
subpixel.png (6.36 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

You can clearly see the effect of the sub-pixel rendering (red and blue) in light mode, but none in dark mode.

We'll probably eventually create a proper dark version, at least for the main forum theme, that will no longer use the color-invert hack, so you'll get sub-pixel rendering in the dark theme too, as long as your device supports it.

-Rocket_
United States of America

Post by -Rocket_ »

luo-ning wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:24 am

We'll probably eventually create a proper dark version, at least for the main forum theme, that will no longer use the color-invert hack, so you'll get sub-pixel rendering in the dark theme too, as long as your device supports it.

Hope so. I'd defiantly be better to use dark mode, and I surely can't be the only one who can't because of the way it changes the characters.

I like to joke

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

I guess, my old thread viewtopic.php?t=1925-footer-is-too-big- ... ew-results belongs in this one.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

luo-ning

Post by luo-ning »

pawndemic wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:13 pm

I guess, my old thread viewtopic.php?t=1925-footer-is-too-big- ... ew-results belongs in this one.

pawndemic wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 8:33 pm

From time to time I noticed a big white footer after I clicked on "New posts". See also screenshot. It seems to me, it appears every time when you have a search (and "new posts" is also just a search) with few results.

That's fixed now for Chrome/Edge etc. I notice it's still there in Firefox, possibly down to another bug in Firefox's implementation of CSS filters (or some unspecified behavior in the spec)...?

-Rocket_
United States of America

Post by -Rocket_ »

coto.i wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:54 am
  1. The lateral background is dark only up to a certain height of the page. Then it's again white. Please fix.

dark_theme_issues.png

(later reply, extended to old)
I didn't have that problem. When scrolling down, it did take an extra moment to render it was dark, but then it turned dark.

I like to joke

SimbiAni
United States of America

Post by SimbiAni »

Hello, I found this thread while searching to see if anyone had mentioned the possibility of getting "dark profiles" ie "duome.eu/SimbiAni/dark" to match the dark version of the Duo app, which would be a really sweet option if ever available.. Image

As far as the forums, I'm using "proSilver" & didn't even realize* there was a functional dark option - but after reading this thread, it did make me wonder.. was it just easier to (it seems) add a button-link to "invert colors" of the default themes instead of adding completely separate styles? For example, the specifically dark version of "proSilver" (demo), or this ocean one (demo), or a tropical one (demo), etc, which I looked up out of curiosity after getting inspired, hehe. I also found handy installation instructions, if that was smth needed. I don't think it's necessary to create a whole new one from scratch, when pre-made ones can often be customized. I hope this info & these recs are at least helpful!

* lol I didn't notice because my "desktop" is an LGTV & it doesn't do anything when the "invert link" is clicked except fade all images.. looks kinda cool on my itty-bitty mobile tho :D

Last edited by SimbiAni on Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

🇺🇸 = fluent from youth & only one to 'stick'; 🇨🇦 = lifelong from nonblood relatives
🇩🇴🇵🇷 = lifelong exposure via local cultures; 🇮🇹 = for discovering genetic heritage
🇧🇷 = cuz why not; 🇰🇷🇯🇵 = L❤VE!! +24 more lol omg https://duome.eu/SimbiAni

duome

Post by duome »

proSilver dark looks nice, it's now available in the user control panel to try it out, though it still needs a bit of tweaking - the forum logo, breadcrumbs, avatars...

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

i use the prolight and never have issues maybe i need to use the dark mode and see what is going on

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

Pretty please

1. Remove the dark theme image transparency for all images (pictures, flags, smilies, etc.). It doesn't help with visual comfort and the images look drowned.

2. The lateral background is dark only up to a certain height of the page. Then it's again white. Please fix.

dark_theme_issues.png

3. Stick to neuter grays for backgrounds. There's enough blue light already from the display. Maybe try some light orange for color accents, instead of blue.

4. Current font doesn't look as good on the dark theme as on the light theme. Maybe you could find a better one. Look for "display fonts".

Thanks!

i can see the cat in you profile picture fine and i do agree it does hurt my eyes but the blurry ness makes no difference to me

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

duome wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:15 am

proSilver dark looks nice, it's now available in the user control panel to try it out, though it still needs a bit of tweaking - the forum logo, breadcrumbs, avatars...

i like the dark mode like right now i am in a dark room works perfect thanks @Duome

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Post by Upbeat 88 »

hey I just notice in the dark mode I scroll really face it blurs the whole screen

Drymice

Post by Drymice »

Pretty please

1. Remove the dark theme image transparency for all images (pictures, flags, smilies, etc.)

If you put down emojis thar aren't from the smilie list, then they look demented in the editor (luckily, they don't look liek that on the actual post.)

I'm as dry as a mouse and don’t use this anymore.

duome

Post by duome »

Upbeat 88 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:19 pm

hey I just notice in the dark mode I scroll really face it blurs the whole screen

That's probably the charactersitic of your LCD screen, some screens do perform differently with mostly white or mostly dark images.

SimbiAni
United States of America

Post by SimbiAni »

"prosilver dark" looks awesome, thank you! Image

just noticed one of the needed tweaks wd be the alternating rows in tables is stuck on a "white" shade lol nbd tho still rocks having it! Image

🇺🇸 = fluent from youth & only one to 'stick'; 🇨🇦 = lifelong from nonblood relatives
🇩🇴🇵🇷 = lifelong exposure via local cultures; 🇮🇹 = for discovering genetic heritage

duome

Post by duome »

Ctrl+F5 to fix the white shade ;)

SimbiAni
United States of America

Post by SimbiAni »

duome wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:24 pm

Ctrl+F5 to fix the white shade ;)

Idk what this means? but it seems to require a (physical, Windows) keyboard.. hope eventually the hard coding can be tweaked so it can use a diff yet fitting colour without a kb.. I don't use a classic desktop, really only a LGTV for most all of my online browsing with websites - mobile doesn't have a Win kb either, altho on my mobile browser (Samsung Internet) somehow the rows that appear white on "certain desktops" appear to simply be "transparent", ie the dark blue from the rest of the layout shines through & it looks awesome.. 💙

okay I did some testing with a site called Browserling & it seems that it's cuz the LGTV version of older "Chrome" (which is non-updatable, unfortunately) just doesn't like that transparency code, darn lol so it's only me then, heh.. oops!

now if only there was a way for users to make tables with customized colors.. I tried checking out more info about the coding background of "pipe tables" in markdown but it doesn't seem possible so far.. still, I do have lots of ideas for tables I'd like to make with languages & phrases & stuff like that :lol:

duome

Post by duome »

Ctrl+F5 is a quick workaround so that I wouldn't have to reset the entire forum cache, normally I would do that at the end of the day anyway (or when there are lots of important changes, or I'm doing it for someone in your shoes). Clearing the cache is the unltimate solution. I try to avoid it if it's not really necessary, but it's not really a problem to do it.

Return to “Requests new Duome features”