Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

English from Russian - Russian keyboard on the screen? Topic is solved

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

English from Russian - Russian keyboard on the screen?

Post by Gentianopsis »

My native language is neither English, nor Russian, but I understand English quite well. I want to learn Russian and I like the course English from Russian more, because there are much more words in it than in Russian from English and it has histories. The problem is that I do not have a Russian keyboard. The only way I can answer the questions is having all the russian sentences from the course coppied to a text file and pasting the appropriate ones whenever an answer in Russian is needed. That is quite a hassle and I do not think I can learn correct Russian spelling this way too well. Would it be possible to have an option to see a Russian keyboard on the screen and answer the questions by clicking on its letters? Maybe other people would find it useful too.

Corinnebelle

Re: English from Russian - Russian keyboard on the screen?

Post by Corinnebelle »

Duome can't change Duolingo. You can try support. My suggestion is to add a keyboard to your computer. To do that go to the control panel and select languages, than look for keyboards and add Russian to your keyboard. [This is for Windows.] You should be able to switch keyboards either by mouse click on your programs bar, there will be a little thing that says languages. Or keyboard shortcut. Alt+shift or windows+space depending on the computer what shortcut works. Lexilogos also has a Russian keyboard

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

mathemajician
United States of America

Post by mathemajician »

The duokeyboard Chrome extension works very nicely. It detects when you want to type Russian and when you want to type English and automatically switches keyboards. It will show the Russian keyboard on screen. You can choose from multiple Russian keyboards.

It has helped me a lot. I was not learning well with the word cloud and after I reset the course and started over with typing I am doing much better.

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

mathemajician wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:20 am

The duokeyboard Chrome extension works very nicely. It detects when you want to type Russian and when you want to type English and automatically switches keyboards. It will show the Russian keyboard on screen. You can choose from multiple Russian keyboards.

It has helped me a lot. I was not learning well with the word cloud and after I reset the course and started over with typing I am doing much better.

Although I use Google Chrome, I cannot find any extension called "duokeyboard" in it. With "duo" in the name, there is only some Duo Boost offering to send me notifications when I do not practise. Where and how can I find The duokeyboard? Is it really accessible from every country?

mathemajician
United States of America

Post by mathemajician »

Will this link work for you? I found it through google.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... imfa?hl=en

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

Gentianopsis wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:42 pm

My native language is neither English, nor Russian, but I understand English quite well. I want to learn Russian and I like the course English from Russian more, because there are much more words in it than in Russian from English and it has histories. The problem is that I do not have a Russian keyboard. The only way I can answer the questions is having all the russian sentences from the course coppied to a text file and pasting the appropriate ones whenever an answer in Russian is needed. That is quite a hassle and I do not think I can learn correct Russian spelling this way too well. Would it be possible to have an option to see a Russian keyboard on the screen and answer the questions by clicking on its letters? Maybe other people would find it useful too.

Do you want to see the russian keyboard on your computer screen? Or your mobile screen?

What operative sistem has your device? Windows? Android?

It depends on that the how to get a keyboard installed,

Gentianopsis
Czech Republic

Post by Gentianopsis »

orojasp wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 10:13 pm

Do you want to see the russian keyboard on your computer screen? Or your mobile screen?
What operative sistem has your device? Windows? Android?
It depends on that the how to get a keyboard installed,

I only have an old slow computer struggling to handle Windows 10. No smartphone, no mobile screen, just a normal keyboard and a normal computer screen.

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

Gentianopsis wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:17 pm

I only have an old slow computer struggling to handle Windows 10. No smartphone, no mobile screen, just a normal keyboard and a normal computer screen.

I just use windows 7.. :lol:

But anyways, once wrote an attempt to guide to do that (having russian keyboard in an english windows) and I'm going to translate my old post:

To do that you need two things,

a) add a russian keyboard in your windows 'keyboards and languages'. To do that, you go to the control panel, search the 'keyboard and language' option and in the 'keyboard' label you add a russian keyboard. This step don't add new hardware to your computer, you only are saying to your windows that your standard 101 keys keyboard is a russian keyboard (in my case my russian keyboard says 'typewritter keyboard')

something like this:
![Duo](

Doing that you'll have a big part of the task completed. Now next to the hour and date (in the systray) you have an keyboard icon with 'RU' added as a language, and if you click on it you start writting in cyrillic, and if you click again on 'CZ' or 'EN' or your previous keyboard language you'll back writting on czech or english again.

The problem of that is our keyboards has a latin alphabet over the keys, and next to the Q comes W and next to E comes R, and is very hard to memorize that when cyrillic letters appeard under the latin ones, then this 2nd step solve that (the step b).

b) add a on-screen keyboard. Windows support many input methods (the keyboard is one), but also you could use handwritting (we don't need that here) or a on screen keyboard (we need that here). On screen keyboard is clicking over a picture of a keyboard on the screen to achieve having the effect of keys pressed. This is not very comfortable to write quick, but is very useful if you keyboard doesn't matches with the pictures of the keys the real keyboard has print on it (in our case happens that, the cyrillic keyboard doesn't matches with the latin letters pictures over the real one).

Adding a onscreen keyboard:
![Duo](

Now, those two previous steps are how to do it on windows 7, in your case in windows 10 you need to do this for adding a new on screen keyboard:

And here is how to install a russian keyboard in windows 10:

In this 2nd video the person even quote how to show the on screen keyboard, but she does that so quick that maybe is not clear in that step.

One important thing, in the 2nd video the woman installs the russian language in her pc, in this case you only want having the keyboard part, as her shows it, don't change your windows options to russian, because that makes all messages and so comes in russian language, is just change the keyboard to russian (just what the woman in the video does)

I hope this helps a little bit, пока пока!!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]orojasp[/mention] Can you have the Russian keyboard on screen so you know which key is which when you type with the keyboard? Would make sense to have a visual as well as a keyboard, a picture would do but it wouldn't stay on top, while I imagine a keyboard stays on top.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 6:46 pm

@orojasp Can you have the Russian keyboard on screen so you know which key is which when you type with the keyboard? Would make sense to have a visual as well as a keyboard, a picture would do but it wouldn't stay on top, while I imagine a keyboard stays on top.

I tried to do that on mine and it doesn't show which letter is pressed on the real keyboard.

I don't know if in newer operative systems this can be performed, in my case I tried in both on screen keyboards, the russian one and the spanish one (my real keyboard is spanish) and in none of those cases when I press a key in the real keyboard it shows pressed on the screen keyboard.

Maybe this happens because on screen keyboard is an input method, if the software supported both cases (being clicked as a on screen keyb, and show which real key is pressed) it will be named input-output method but I'm not sure of that. It would be great idea.

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

Is weird, where I tried I discovered an another weird behavior, when I press an option key (alt, ctrl, altgr, shift) the on screen keyb acts as an output (it shows the key being pressed), but when I press a key with a letter (a b c d.. those ones) it doesn't show which key is being pressed, I mean it behaves as I said in the previous post..

O_o , is weird.. idk really why acts like that.

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

This is what I mean:

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

Gentianopsis wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 11:42 pm

You can switch your keyboard to Russian on Windows. I spent a day or so learning the Russian keyboard by heart. For example, I know now that the russian letter "п" is the same key as "g" on my (German) keyboard, "з" is the "p" key, etc. If this is too troublesome, you can buy little transparent keyboard stickers with the Russian keys on them.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

btw if you don't have a physical Russian keyboard with the letters you can try the Russian mnemonic (aka phonetic) layout (ЯШЕРТЫ)
here most letters correspond to their Latin versions

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]orojasp[/mention] Not as good as typing tutor then, but at least you can look at the screen and be like that's where that key is and then have an idea of where to find it on the keyboard.

orojasp
Chile

Post by orojasp »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:10 am

@orojasp Not as good as typing tutor then, but at least you can look at the screen and be like that's where that key is and then have an idea of where to find it on the keyboard.

Oh sure, sure, is not a good typing tutor, I'm just intrested in this stage of my learning on having a easy and free way of typing using cyrillic letters.

In my personal case I just click with the mouse on the letters in the screen because the words in russian language are still very hard to me to build, then the typing speed is not an issue. Maybe in the future I require improve that and I print a sticker set.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

LICA98 wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:18 am

if you don't have a physical Russian keyboard with the letters you can try the Russian mnemonic (aka phonetic) layout (ЯШЕРТЫ)
here most letters correspond to their Latin versions

btw I was wondering why some letters are missing from here (ё, ч, щ, э, ю) and why some keys are yellow 🤔
and apparently it's because they are dead keys and the output depends on what key you type after that :o

so Y + U = Ю (also instead of Y you can use J)
Y + O = Ё
Y + E = Э
C + H = Ч
S + C = Щ
(also S + H = Ш and Y + A = Я)

so what if you just need Ы or С? for the most part you can just type the next letter and it will appear (i.e. Y followed by L will give ЫЛ once you type the л)

but there are some tricky combinations:
ЫЕ is Y+space+E (otherwise it becomes Э), same way for СХ, СЦ, ЦХ, ЙА, ЙЕ, ЙО, ЙУ you need to press space between the letters to avoid them turning into Ш, Щ, Ч, Я, Э, Ё, and Ю respectively

when Ы, С, Ц, or Й are in the end of the word followed by a space you need to press space twice (otherwise the space acts only as the dead key braker), except if the word ends in 2 such letters (ЫЙ, ЫС, СС, ЦЫ) 😱

(imo the J was added for nothing, everything it does can be done with Y and it just complicates things when you need the plain Й)

Return to “Russian”