Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Do announcements occur (ocurren) in Spanish

Moderators: Stasia, xillegas

Cifi

Do announcements occur (ocurren) in Spanish

Post by Cifi »

I came across the sentence "The announcement about the workers occurred recently" - "El anuncio sobre los obreros ocurrió recientemente".

In the sentence discussion (https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/4238 ... d-recently) a few people stated that in English announcements would usually be made or published rather than just occur.

The question how this is in Spanish remained unanswered though, thus I repeat it here: is ocurrir a common verb to use with anuncios?

Last edited by Cifi on Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

wayfarer

Re: Do announcements occur (ocurren) in Spanish

Post by wayfarer »

For what it's worth I've not come across 'ocurrir' used with 'anuncio'. As you say we'd never use 'occur' with 'announcement' in English.

It's just possible that the duolingo sentence had a nuance by which 'El anuncio' wasn't quite referring to the announcement itself but to the instance of the announcement. eg a meeting or gathering where the announcement was made.

Explorer
Portugal

Re: Do announcements occur (ocurren) in Spanish

Post by Explorer »

It does sound a bit odd in Spanish as well.

Las noticias ocurren o suceden. Los anuncios se publican.

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

Return to “Language”