Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Hebrew alefbet house of God

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

Hebrew alefbet house of God

Post by Corinnebelle »

Are any of you into pictographic Hebrew?

I just noticed something when writing alefbet. The two letters stand for "house of God".

Alef the first letter stands for God and bet the second letter stands for house. I believe Hebrew is a sacred language. Jesus is called the word in the New Testament. I have read something about Jews believing that the letters of the alefbet created the world, although I don't know much about it to comprehend that.

Graphics source

The 2nd letter is “Bet” and its numerical number value is two… It represents a “house, a tent, a dwelling.” – The house “bayit” can also be a body that we live in. Our home is a containing for and place of protection, shelter and sanctuary. And, a “temple” - the first meeting place with the Lord and we are His family. The very first word in the Bible is “Bereshit - "in the beginning." Why should the Bible start with the letter “bet” instead of “alef?” God could show Hiis supremacy at the very beginning – the “alef” representing the Creator and Master! It started with “bet” because the Bible was written for mankind as a “manual of life” explaining how to dwell in his home in “Shalom” “peace!” (Revelation 21:3; Leviticus 26:11-13; Ezekiel 37:27)

God’s Hebrew Alphabet & Prophetic Meaning!

Here's a link about pictographic Hebrew

Source

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Corinnebelle

Re: Hebrew alefbet house of God

Post by Corinnebelle »

I am unable to copy the font here. [mention]duome[/mention] Is there any possibility of putting those fonts on here. Admittedly this is not a high priority project. The only place I know to get them from is biblesupport.com I'm not sure if you'll be able to see the page without an account. All these things are in the public domain or used by permission of the author. I suppose these fonts probably don't work with pbb board? I don't know if there's copyrights on fonts.

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

duome

Post by duome »

I cannot find a sample text to try it here, but if you do, I have two of those fonts installed for you to try them out like this:
[font=ancient-hebrew]ancient hebrew text[/font]
[font=semitic-early]early semitic text[/font]

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

אב ab

את at

Doesn't look like either of them.

Thanks for trying! You're a champion! :)

Zimozie
Finland

Post by Zimozie »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:40 pm

Are any of you into pictographic Hebrew?

I just noticed something when writing alefbet. The two letters stand for "house of God".

Alef the first letter stands for God and bet the second letter stands for house. I believe Hebrew is a sacred language. Jesus is called the word in the New Testament. I have read something about Jews believing that the letters of the alefbet created the world, although I don't know much about it to comprehend that.

Here's a link about pictographic Hebrew

![](https://www.ancient-hebrew.org/alphabet ... tchart.gif)

Source

Thank you for sending a link to the pictographic website! :o

!זה נהדר

🇫🇮 native, 🇺🇲 C1-B2, 🇫🇷🇮🇱🇸🇪 B2-B1, 🇪🇸 B1-A2, 🇯🇴🇪🇪🇳🇴A2-A1, 🇷🇺🇺🇦🇬🇷🇨🇳 A1
Duolingo profile: https://duome.eu/zimozie77

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]duome[/mention] I found some graphics to illustrate it.

duome

Post by duome »

Some of those fonts - 'BSTHebrew' and 'olbheb' - are actually working for me, replacing english letters with hebrew ones, the other fonts might be using different letter codes for those ancient glyphs, so we probably need to figure out the codes and how to type them.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]duome[/mention]

Ba
Ba

I tried pasting the pictographic Hebrew characters in those things. All I get is the English equivalent of those letters, same thing as if I paste them outside. "Ba" I hope we find the codes for the ancient ones!

I don't know that this is any help to you, but if I paste a couple of characters in OpenOffice and click in the middle of them and then hit the keyboard I will get more characters in pictographic Hebrew. The keyboard layout appears equivalent to the English qwerty one and not like the Hebrew one.

duome

Post by duome »

Ctrl+F5, and this is a full english alphabet written with BSTHebrew font that seems to be working, somewhat:

BSTHebrew: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
[font=BSTHebrew]abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[/font]

This is just a "proof of concept" to make sure that I did it right this time around, and I wonder why if 'BSTHebrew' and 'olbheb' are kind of okay(ish), others are totally not, even though they are being included in the exact same manner.

There are issues with a few letters and some other seem to be duplicates to my uneducated eye:
ab c d e f gh i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
ab ·c· d e ·f· gh ·i· j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

duome wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:56 am

Ctrl+F5, and this is a full english alphabet written with BSTHebrew font that seems to be working, somewhat:

BSTHebrew: abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzאבגדהוזחתיכלמנסעפצקרשת
[font=BSTHebrew]abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzאבגדהוזחתיכלמנסעפצקרשת[/font]

This is just a "proof of concept" to make sure that I did it right this time around, and I wonder why if 'BSTHebrew' and 'olbheb' are kind of okay(ish), others are totally not, even though they are being included in the exact same manner.

There are issues with a few letters and some other seem to be duplicates to my uneducated eye:
ab c d e f gh i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
ab ·c· d e ·f· gh ·i· j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz אבגדהוזחתיכלמנסעפצקרשת
[font=BSTHebrew]abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz אבגדהוזחתיכלמנסעפצקרשת[/font]

Okay interesting, I did not try them with Latin letters. The ש is with a symbol that tells you whether it is a "sh" or "s" sound. Seems like you got some nikud [vowels] in there as well.

ס is a Hebrew letter, as are ע and צ. I like the font! The ס looks so much nicer like this ס.

I was wishing for nice Hebrew font! Todah rabah! Thank you very much!!!

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

מה שלומך?

מה נשמע?

אני בדסר.

מה שלומך?

מה נשמע?

אני בדסר.

[];',./{}:"<>?~`!@#$%^&*()_+=-\|qw

.,[]}{\|+=_-()*&^%$#@!~;

It looks like all the punctuation gets turned into something else.

Generally, I type in Hebrew by switching to the Hebrew keyboard on my computer. I tried the punctuation here inputting from Hebrew and from English. Displays the same.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

מה שלומך?

מה נשמע?

אני בסדר.

[];',./{}:"<>?~`!@#$%^&*()_+=-\|qw

.,[]}{\|+=_-()*&^%$#@!~;

The early Semitic recognizes the symbols.

מה שלומך?

מה נשמע?

אני בסדר.

If you don't use RTL the symbols are on the wrong side when typing.

מה שלומך?

מה נשמע?

אני בסדר.

duome

Post by duome »

https://fonts.google.com/?subset=hebrew - is there anything better?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz אבגדוהחזיכלמנסעפצקרשת abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz אבגדוהחזיכלמנסעפצקרשת Early Semitic doesn't turn Latin letters into Hebrew. A bit harder to read because the lines are thinner than the default Hebrew font here אבגדוהזחתיכלמנסאפצקרשת. As far as the style I like this one the best.

Of the Google choices, I like Noto Serif the best.

I like Ezra SIL. I found it here. I imagine I could find it some place else as well. I don't know what's the best font for displaying on other devices. I am using a PC.

I did find some fonts from Hebrew fonts.net

Paleo

Paleo is the font which proceeds pictographic before classical.

Ancient Hebrew

That's why I couldn't find it with a pictographic search.

Shalom script

This is Hebrew cursive. It would be fun to have something like this on here.

[I even found Ugaritic another ancient Semitic language. No, we don't need that, just exciting to find!]

The character maps on these correspond to the Qwerty keyboard and not the Hebrew keyboard. There may be better options somewhere else.

This is another cursive font. I'm not sure how this one types.

[mention]duome[/mention] I wouldn't have bothered you with any of this if I hadn't had trouble uploading this image:

AB.jpg
AB.jpg (962 Bytes) Viewed 1121 times

For some reason it got a warning sign when I tried it. It works now.

Attachments
Sample.jpg
Sample.jpg (1.55 KiB) Viewed 1121 times

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]duome[/mention] Maybe [mention]EranBarLev[/mention] might have some suggestions as to the best font, being a native Hebrew speaker. Me, I'm just a learner.

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:46 pm

@duome Maybe @EranBarLev might have some suggestions as to the best font, being a native Hebrew speaker. Me, I'm just a learner.

Sorry, I can't even read the ancient Hebrew alphabet, and I've never tried to install any special font.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]EranBarLev[/mention] I'm not good at that either, but is there a modern Hebrew font you like?

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

Corinnebelle wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:00 am

@EranBarLev I'm not good at that either, but is there a modern Hebrew font you like?

I'm fine with the default font we have here.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

https://rumble.com/user/OriginalHebrewSeries has a series of videos on each letter covering ancient pictographic Hebrew and how words are formed from the meanings of the letters.

Deleted User 10974

Post by Deleted User 10974 »

Hebrew is definately a sacred language. I'm not studying Biblical Hebrew, but when I was doing the Duolingo Hebrew course (haven't gotten very far yet) 😉 I think the part I enjoyed the most was the alphabet!
It didn't take that long to learn as I had it written everywhere - plus I have lots of alefbet paraphernalia, such as an alefbet colouring book, amongst other things.
I also have a beautiful set of cards with an accompanying book, which gives the spiritual meaning of each letter.
Hebrew is indeed a beautiful and fascinating language! 🌹

Return to “Biblical Hebrew”