Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Days Topic is solved

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

yelir64
United States of America

Days

Post by yelir64 »

If 'vorgestern' means the day before yesterday, 'gestern' means yesterday, 'morgen' means tomorrow, and 'übermorgen' means the day after tomorrow, would 'vormorgen' count as a long-winded way of saying today? (heute)

Chrisinom
Germany

Re: Days

Post by Chrisinom »

Not really. It doesn't exist, and neither does "nachgestern".

cannonplug
Ireland

Post by cannonplug »

Would that be something like "yestermorrow"? :D

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

I guess so. But no kidding, two words that do exist are vorvorgestern and überübermorgen. The German language is great at creating those very long words like Donaudampfschifffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän or Parkettbodenschleifmaschinenenverleihfirma. But the two I gave you are where it ends with the days, although I found "Schnee von vorvorvorgestern" as a clue in a crossword puzzle. Do you know the four letter word for snow from three days ago? It's the same word in English and in German: Firn. By the way: Schnee von gestern means yesterday's news in English.

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I think "vormorgen" and "nachgestern" are two words I would like to add to my vocabulary to confuse my fellow Germans.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Chrisinom[/mention] Firn is at least a year old. Most definitely three days old and more. A younger snow is névé.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

Corinnebelle wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:47 pm

@Chrisinom Firn is at least a year old. Most definitely three days old and more. A younger snow is névé.

Technically you're right. But the crossword is from DIE ZEIT, a slightly more intellectual German magazine. To solve their puzzles, you must think around the corner (The title of their crosswords is "Um die Ecke gedacht" ) and keep in mind the metaphorical meaning of" Schnee von gestern", obsolete. So Schnee von gestern is névé and Schnee von vorgestern is Firn. Otherwise we would have to add another 362 "vors".

Return to “Language”