Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] Shanah tovah

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Forum rules

General Terms of Use
Hebrew Quick Links : New Posts / Unread posts / My own posts

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVE] Shanah tovah

Post by Corinnebelle »

מחר ראש השנה.
It is actually for two days beginning from sunset on Monday and ending at sunset on Wednesday. Rosh Hashana means head of the year as you probably figured from learning Hebrew. Rosh Hashana begins the civil new year for Jews as opposed to the ecclesiastical new year which happens in Nissan near Easter. The Biblical name for this holiday is Yom Teruah יום תרועה

Here are some greetings one can say on the new year:

L’shanah Tovah! To a good new year!
“Shanah tovah um’tukah,” “May you have a good and sweet new year.”
“L’shanah tovah tikateivu v’teichateimu”, which means “A good year, and may you be inscribed and sealed (for blessing in the Book of Life).”
"Tizku l'shanim rabot," "May you merit many years."

Jews believe Rosh HaShana is the anniversary of the creation of Adam and Eve and the day of God's coronation. Ten days later comes Yom Kippur, the day of judgment.

My Jewish Learning tells how the new year is celebrated in Jewish tradition.

For those of you who would like to enrich your understanding of Jewish culture here is a link to Jewish holidays "holy days" this year.

Please note I am not Jewish, but I like to learn about Judaism as part of exploring Hebrew. I hope I haven't written anything inoffensive to Jews. It is unintentional.

L'shana tovah!

Originally published on September 26, 2021

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

JudieLC
United States of America

Re: Shanah tovah

Post by JudieLC »

Corinnebelle wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:13 am

מחר ראש השנה.
It is actually for two days beginning from sunset on Monday and ending at sunset on Wednesday. Rosh Hashana means head of the year as you probably figured from learning Hebrew. Rosh Hashana begins the civil new year for Jews as opposed to the ecclesiastical new year which happens in Nissan near Easter. The Biblical name for this holiday is Yom Teruah יום תרועה

Here are some greetings one can say on the new year:

L’shanah Tovah! To a good new year!
“Shanah tovah um’tukah,” “May you have a good and sweet new year.”
“L’shanah tovah tikateivu v’teichateimu”, which means “A good year, and may you be inscribed and sealed (for blessing in the Book of Life).”
"Tizku l'shanim rabot," "May you merit many years."

Jews believe Rosh HaShana is the anniversary of the creation of Adam and Eve and the day of God's coronation. Ten days later comes Yom Kippur, the day of judgment.

My Jewish Learning tells how the new year is celebrated in Jewish tradition.

For those of you who would like to enrich your understanding of Jewish culture here is a link to Jewish holidays "holy days" this year.

Please note I am not Jewish, but I like to learn about Judaism as part of exploring Hebrew. I hope I haven't written anything inoffensive to Jews. It is unintentional.

L'shana tovah!

Originally published on September 26, 2021

Lol, I was really confused by this post till I got to the bottom and saw it was originally posted in September. :D

Corinnebelle

Re: [ARCHIVE] Shanah tovah

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]JudieLC[/mention] I just put archive on it, so no one will get confused now. I only put that on the archives I did for other people, better put that on those articles I wrote myself too! :)

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Return to “Hebrew”