Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

As it was

Sekisova_tatiana
Russia

As it was

Post by Sekisova_tatiana »

Hi my friends!
I have a question and I would like to get an answer, if it possible

Recently I heard a very popular song "As it was", I think you know this song. I was singing with Harry, and one phrase surprised me. Here is this phrase: "It's just us" - есть только мы. Why do they use this phrase with plural? I understand "it's a girl, it's milk", but why with us? Isn't it correct to write "these are we"? I thought maybe for a song it's normal, but I searched on the Internet and pointed out that this phrase is used rather often. Help please, I need your help

I'm trying to learn English

Deleted User 114

Re: As it was

Post by Deleted User 114 »

Sekisova_tatiana wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:09 am

Hi my friends!

Recently I heard a very popular song "As it was", I think you know this song. I was singing with Harry, and one phrase surprised me. Here is this phrase: "It's just us" - есть только мы. Why do they use this phrase with plural? I understand "it's a girl, it's milk", but why with us? Isn't it correct to write "these are we"? I thought maybe for a song it's normal, but I searched on the Internet and pointed out that this phrase is used rather often. Help please, I need your help

In English it is okay to say “It is just us”. Another way to say the same thing would be “It is only us”.

It is technically correct to write “These are we”, but I have never heard that phrase used before. “These are they” I have heard though, as well as “This is us”.

I hope I was able to answer your question. :)

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

Sekisova_tatiana wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:09 am

Hi my friends!

“Just” us as opposed to more than just us. We aren’t including people outside of the group described by “us” in other words. Another example:

Us vs. them.

Us vs the world.

🇺🇦

chemiazrit

Post by chemiazrit »

"It's just us" - есть только мы.

Actually, the correct translation would be Это только мы.

Itin constructions like this is called the "impersonal it" and can refer to a singular or plural entity, for example It was Mary and Beth who baked the cake.

Return to “Английский”