Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Siz sarı elbiseyi giyersiniz. (en → tr)

sentence bot 🤖

Siz sarı elbiseyi giyersiniz. (en → tr)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

Siz sarı elbiseyi giyersiniz.

en: You wear the yellow dress.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/8049614

O.Zoe
Greece

Re: Siz sarı elbiseyi giyersiniz. (en → tr)

Post by O.Zoe »

In English, in a sentence like this (if I'm not mistaken), we need a plural object if we use 2nd person plural. "You wear the yellow dresses", i.e. each one of you wears a known yellow dress. If we say "You wear the yellow dress", it would be assumed that all of you share the same yellow dress.

In Greek (and I think in some other languages), we can use a singular object with a plural subject and it will be understood that there's an object for each one of the subjects. "You wear the yellow dress" could be understood as "each one of you wears your own yellow dress".

So, my question is whether "Siz sarı elbiseyi giyersiniz" can mean that each of you wears your own yellow dress or whether it means only that you share the same one (in case it's not a formal you).

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

MustafaOuz526752

Re: Siz sarı elbiseyi giyersiniz. (en → tr)

Post by MustafaOuz526752 »

I believe it is a formal singular you that is used here, but if it were a plural you, I would suppose the latter to be the case because dress is in the accusative. The accusative case is strict about number; if a noun is inflected for singular, then it is rigidly singular.

But on a condition where both you is plural and dress is in the nominative (bare form; i.e., siz sarı elbise giyersiniz), both interpretations are plausible.

Return to “Turkish”