Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

"λαχανικό" or "λαχανικά"?

tudororor
Romania

"λαχανικό" or "λαχανικά"?

Post by tudororor »

On duolingo, they teach you that "vegetables" translates to "λαχανικά", but I've searched on the internet and I saw a few sites where they said that the correct form is "λαχανικό". Also, I can't find the singular form, i.e. "vegetable". Does it just doesen't have a singular form?

Native language: Romanian🇷🇴. I'm using English🇺🇸 on a daily basis. I know some German🇩🇪. I started learning Greek🇬🇷 in April 2022

O.Zoe
Greece

Re: "λαχανικό" or "λαχανικά"?

Post by O.Zoe »

το λαχανικό is the singular form.
Το καρότο είναι λαχανικό. = The carrot is a vegetable.

τα λαχανικά is the plural form.
Το καρότο και το μαρούλι είναι λαχανικά. = The carrot and the lettuce are vegetables.

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

tudororor
Romania

Post by tudororor »

Oh, O. Zoe, nice to see you here😄 Thank you for all the questions you answered on the old official forum, your answers are always helpful when I don't know what I'm doing wrong. And of course thank you for responding to my question as well.

Native language: Romanian🇷🇴. I'm using English🇺🇸 on a daily basis. I know some German🇩🇪. I started learning Greek🇬🇷 in April 2022

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

tudororor wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:46 pm

Oh, O. Zoe, nice to see you here😄 Thank you for all the questions you answered on the old official forum, your answers are always helpful when I don't know what I'm doing wrong. And of course thank you for responding to my question as well.

Παρακαλώ! I'm happy to help. :) I hope you're enjoying learning Greek!

UncleBob

Post by UncleBob »

I still haven't worked out a useful mnemonic for distinguishing between λαχανικά and λουκάνικα. It took me years already to stop asking for λάστιχα (tyres) at restaurants in Greece. Now I remember that tyres are elastic. (And even with lashings of σκορδάλια they taste awful).
On a more general note, I really miss the – often very insightful – banter on the Duolingo fora. And I especially miss the manifestations of O.Zoe, shining light all around. So I just signed in here to see what was up.

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

UncleBob wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:01 am

On a more general note, I really miss the – often very insightful – banter on the Duolingo fora. And I especially miss the manifestations of O.Zoe, shining light all around. So I just signed in here to see what was up.

UncleBob, it's so great to see you here! I've missed your banter and your good spirits!

UncleBob wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:01 am

I still haven't worked out a useful mnemonic for distinguishing between λαχανικά and λουκάνικα. It took me years already to stop asking for λάστιχα (tyres) at restaurants in Greece. Now I remember that tyres are elastic. (And even with lashings of σκορδάλια they taste awful).

When someone eats λαχαχανικά, they laugh.
Women Laughing Alone With Salad

Loukanikos was a famous dog in Greece.
loukanikos -> dog -> hot dog -> sausage
Bad example, I know.. :ρ

Return to “Greek”