Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to find your way around!

These Duome Forum guides have step-by-step instructions and screenshots on how to achieve the desired results. So read the relevant ones before you ask again.

Corinnebelle

How to find your way around!

Post by Corinnebelle »

Are you new here? Don't know where things are yet? Here's a basic guide to find your way around.

[Please note this is written from a web perspective and viewing this from an app or another device may create a slightly different layout.]

Do you speak English? Go to languages and pick this forum by scrolling down the page:

I speak English.jpg
I speak English.jpg (68.28 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

Then select the language you are studying or click on the "I speak English" to open up the forum and scroll down through the languages there.

For languages that don't have forums on Duome yet, scroll down past the flags to Languages not yet covered...

Don't speak English, keep scrolling past the "I speak English" until you find your forum.

Want to talk about things in English? You've got quite a few options! Besides the forum at the bottom of the page [below all those "I'm learning"] which I suppose is to discuss the English language itself although exact categories are rather ambiguous between that and the other two.

subforums.jpg
subforums.jpg (9.52 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
Discussions.jpg
Discussions.jpg (50.87 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

Are you celebrating a milestone, streak, XP ect.? Than Achievements is for you.

Want to talk about anything, not necessarily language orientated? Try Random Thoughts

Got to get more serious and have a discussion? Discussions are for you!

Scrolling up to near the top of the screen you'll see these symbols:

mchat dark mode.jpg
mchat dark mode.jpg (1.65 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

Maybe you'd like to try out mchat? Practice your target language, or just chat? [Note: For some users mchat will be at the bottom of the screen. You can adjust it that way in your user profile.]

Those two conversations bubbles represent mchat. Hovering over them will let you know if anyone is chatting.

You will not be able to use either mchat or private messaging when you first join this forum, this is to prevent spamming. After you have proved you are not a bot, [Your first messages will also be approved on an individual basis and you will get a notification each time a message is approved.], you will be able to use these features. [Duolingo's forum went down for several days because such safety nets weren't in place to protect their forum.]

See those 3 bars. Those are the quick links.

To see what's going on in the forum, try the Unread posts under quick links. This will allow you to browse through all the posts on the forum each day that you haven't read yet.

Besides that is the moon, that's dark mode, for those who like it. [Maybe that's more of an app thing?]

Right at the top of the page you'll see something like this:

Search.jpg
Search.jpg (5.08 KiB) Viewed 1464 times

The bar is for searching. On Duome you can search individual forums and topics.

The envelope is the Private messaging function. To pm someone you'll either have had to have made them a friend, received a message from them, or Find a member

To friend someone go to the profile page and add friend. Besides some feature that highlight which posts are you friends on some styles of forums this is the only things friends does. Consider it putting them in your address book.

[An alternative way to pm people is with the little bubble next to contact that you can see at the bottom of the information when somebody makes a post. Going to their profiles will also give you the option to pm them, if they have this feature switched on.]

Right at the right of the screen you'll see a little down arrow like this "v", that will get you to the user control panel, UCP.

Above the languages you'll see the following forums:

Duome.jpg
Duome.jpg (72.46 KiB) Viewed 1476 times

Want to view major announcements. Check out Announcements.

Don't know how to do something, try the How to guides to learn more about how Duome works and what you can do with it. [mention]eI000yo[/mention] Quick guide is a user manual for Duome.

Got an idea for the Duome forum or the Duome.eu statistics pages? Click on Requests to make a suggestion.

Having trouble with something here or on the Duome.eu stats page? Go to Troubleshooting and state your problem.

Scrolling down to the bottom at the page you'll see:

FAQ.jpg
FAQ.jpg (4.51 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

If you have a query about Duome the "?" will take you to Frequently asked questions

The envelope at the bottom is for contacting administration.

The shield will take you to The team on Duome. Yes, you can contact a moderator here unlike on Duolingo.

The people symbol is for all the members on Duome.

And the trash bin is for deleting cookies.

Want to see who is online? Near the bottom of the page on the left you'll see this and other statistics.

Online.jpg
Online.jpg (27.31 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

Where everyone's comes from or at least the flags they selected? You'll see Flags as the last section of the forum.

Want to see where uncommented sentence discussions are? You'll find them past the languages. Near the bottom of the forum. Yes, Duome is continuing the sentence discussion from Duolingo. Once you comment on one, it gets moved automatically to that language's forum.

Would you like to subscribe to a topic? There's a trick to it. See that wrench at the top of a topic?

Subscribe.jpg
Subscribe.jpg (26.29 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

It has a tick on it. Click on the tick and you should get this message:

Subscribed.jpg
Subscribed.jpg (10.62 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

Now you are subscribed.

For the full editor and preview when commenting on a topic, you'll see a button besides submit.

Submit.jpg
Submit.jpg (4.45 KiB) Viewed 1456 times

For the following try these how to guides

Formatting Emojis Duome markup tool

:) Welcome to Duome!!! :)

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Upbeat 88
Mexico

Re: How to find your way around!

Post by Upbeat 88 »

thanks for time doing this for the newcomers

sarjanbak
United States of America

Post by sarjanbak »

I'm so glad I found this forum topic because I was getting close to giving up on understanding how everything works on here 😓

Deleted User 10974

Post by Deleted User 10974 »

Hi! 👋 If I go to settings I find I can't get back to the forum. Can't find a button to do that. I end up logging out and starting again! 😁
Can you help please?

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

@Parrallel-Lives

When you say settings, do you mean this?

UCP.jpg
UCP.jpg (22.85 KiB) Viewed 403 times

Do you have this back arrow on your screen?

Back arrow.jpg
Back arrow.jpg (2.77 KiB) Viewed 403 times

You should be able to click on forums at the top to get back to the forum, or you can try the back arrow.

If your screen is different on the phone maybe someone else can help you as I'm using a computer.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Deleted User 10974

Post by Deleted User 10974 »

Thanks! I think I've worked it out. ✅️

Return to “Duome's How-to Guides”