Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

La metà della popolazione ha a che fare con la povertà. (en → it) Topic is solved

sentence bot 🤖

La metà della popolazione ha a che fare con la povertà. (en → it)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

La metà della popolazione ha a che fare con la povertà.

en: Half of the population has to deal with poverty.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/56751711

Sofia222677

Re: La metà della popolazione ha a che fare con la povertà. (en → it)

Post by Sofia222677 »

The article before "metà" is totally unnecessary. We just say "metà di....".

Also, "avere a che fare con" is a clumsy translation of "to deal with" in this context; a better translation in proper Italian would be "Metà della popolazione deve fronteggiare la povertà".

:it: N - :gb: B2 (working towards C1) - Learning :de: - Dabbling in :cn:, :ru:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

There was a discussion in Duolingo with the headline "Duolingo can ruin your Italian". Is this an example for that?

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Sofia222677

Post by Sofia222677 »

Yes! I, too, remember that post. My impression is that Duolingo just ran random sentences through an automatic translator back in 2012, when Google translate was not as good as it is now, which explains the amount of (wrong) literal and clumsy translations in both English and Italian sentences.

O.Zoe
Greece

Post by O.Zoe »

Sofia222677 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:13 pm

[...] Also, "avere a che fare con" is a clumsy translation of "to deal with" in this context [...]

Could you give a couple of example sentences with "avere (a) che fare con" so that we understand better in what context it sounds more natural? : )

🇬🇷 N :gb: C1 :de: B1 :it: A1

Sofia222677

Post by Sofia222677 »

O.Zoe wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:46 pm

Could you give a couple of example sentences with "avere (a) che fare con" so that we understand better in what context it sounds more natural? : )

"Non so cosa studi di preciso, ma so che ha a che fare con la finanza" = I don't know exactly what s/he studies, but I know it's something related to finance.

"Non voglio avere niente a che fare con questa gente" = I don't want (to have) anything to do with these people.

"È stato accusato ingiustamente, infatti non aveva niente a che fare con la faccenda" = He was falsely accused; actually he had nothing to do with the affair.

The English expression "to have something to do with" matches its Italian equivalent fairly well.

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

avere (a) che fare con... to have something to do with...

:hash:  ㆍitaliano ㆍvocabolario ㆍSentenceDiscussion

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Return to “Sentence discussions”