Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

How to leave - the female way...

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

David680268
Germany

How to leave - the female way...

Post by David680268 »

Hi all,

it's been quite a few years since I've had French at school and so I thought I'd brush it up a bit. It is mostly going well, but today I encountered an exercise that I could not make sense of and that, apparently, does not have a discussion on Duo.

The exercise is a listening exercise, and the correct answer is:

"vous partez - vous êtes partis"

So nothing spectacular. But what if I want to talk about a group of females? I wrote

"vous partez - vous êtes parties"

but Duo won't have it. Is there anything I got wrong here? Is there an audible difference between "partis" and "parties"?

Thank you all and merci beaucoup.

FurbyZeKat
Switzerland

Re: How to leave - the female way...

Post by FurbyZeKat »

Hello, yes, there is an audible difference, the feminine form has a longer i with a very short and soft e ending.

N French C1 English B2 German B1 Esperanto L Turkish

David680268
Germany

Post by David680268 »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:01 am

Hello, yes, there is an audible difference, the feminine form has a longer i with a very short and soft e ending.

Thank you very much for your help. I had always believed that there was no audible difference whatsoever, but I will pay attention to this in the future.

JahryKhyl
France

Post by JahryKhyl »

No it's absolutely wrong, there is no audible difference. I'm a native french speaker and the only way to write it correctly is to analyze the sentence to know how to write it.
FurbyZeCat : why did you lie ? it's not fair and correct, you didn't help.

Quetzalcoatlus

Post by Quetzalcoatlus »

FurbyZeKat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:01 am

This is true for Swiss French, but for most other varieties (including Duolingo French) there is no such distinction.

Return to “Sentence discussions”