Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Regular Verbs: Strong or Weak Topic is solved

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, Cifi

Deleted User 133

Regular Verbs: Strong or Weak

Post by Deleted User 133 »

Hello German natives and learners,

I am currently learning German, and I would like to confirm one thing: which are the regular verbs in German language, the strong or the weak?
My friend argues that the strong (stark) verbs are the regular (regelmaßig) ones, while I argue that the weak (schwach) ones are the regular ones because they do submit to the rules.

Could you please clear that up for me, possibly with the grammatical explanation that underlies this rule?
Thank you in advance.

Basler Biker
Switzerland

Re: Regular Verbs: Strong or Weak

Post by Basler Biker »

The weak verbs are those that don't change vowels. You can remember this by thinking they are "too weak" to do so...
The strong verbs are "stronger" and "will force" vowel changes.

Regular or irregular, imho, is another category...it's those verbs that do not follow the general rule for the conjugation of as well weak or strong verbs. There is no rule for those...

BB - Basler Biker - Positivity and constructiveness will prevail
Native :belgium: :netherlands: / fluent :fr: :de: :uk: / learning :sweden: / fan of :switzerland: (bs/bl)

pawndemic
Germany

Post by pawndemic »

Roughly said, it is true: weak verbs are too weak to change the verb stem, or to be more precise stem vowel. A good grammatical explanation in German you will find on this page Deutsche Grammatik 2.0: Schwache/starke vs. regelmäßige/unregelmäßige Verben

While all weak verbs are regular, in a more detailed view one can argue that not all strong verbs are irregular, but it is more a linguistic discussion.

Last edited by pawndemic on Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

native: 🇩🇪, B2 - C1: 🇬🇧 🇪🇸, A1: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹

Deleted User 133

Post by Deleted User 133 »

Thank you both for your answers! Now I understand the situation better, and that insightful article just gives the details I needed.
Vielen Dank.

Chrisinom
Germany

Post by Chrisinom »

There is a tendency for strong verbs to turn into weak ones: küren, kürte, gekürt replacing küren, kor, gekoren (but still alive in the participle *auserkoren"). New verbs from other languages that become German become weak verbs: posten, postete, gepostet. The weak form is the productive one.

Return to “Language”