Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

A coach is like a parent for the players. (it → en)

sentence bot 🤖

A coach is like a parent for the players. (it → en)

Post by sentence bot 🤖 »

A coach is like a parent for the players.

it: Un allenatore è come un genitore per i giocatori.

Duolingo forum topic: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/2139114

Sofia222677

Re: A coach is like a parent for the players. (it → en)

Post by Sofia222677 »

A bad translation of the article usage. In Italian you don't use an indefinite article in sentences like this exercise, but a definite one: "L'allenatore è come un genitore per i giocatori".

I get that in English you use the indefinite article, but the usage of articles is different in Italian. Once again, Duolingo failed in Italian.

:it: N - :gb: B2 (working towards C1) - Learning :de: - Dabbling in :cn:, :ru:

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Sofia222677 wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:24 am

In Italian you don't use an indefinite article in sentences like this exercise, but a definite one: "L'allenatore è come un genitore per i giocatori".

In Spanish we would also express the idea using an indefinite article ("un entrenador"), so given the similarites between Italian and Spanish, I would have definitely imagined that the correct Italian expression should have been "un allenatore."

Thanks for the tip! Now comes the effort to keep it in mind :)

:hash:  ㆍitaliano ㆍSentenceDiscussion

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Dana_Dany Danuta
Poland

Post by Dana_Dany Danuta »

Native language: 🇵🇱 Duolingo levels

Be smart and write poems. :D

gmads
Mexico

Post by gmads »

Penso che la prima volta che ho preso il commento di Sofia222677 per oro colato, cioè, l'ho preso senza alcuna domanda. Tuttavia, ho appena trovato di nuovo questo post e ora ho fatto qualche ricerca.

Non sono un madrelingua, ma non mi sembra che "un allenatore…" sia "a bad translation of the article usage". L'articolo indeterminativo si chiama così proprio perché si riferisce a qualche sostantivo indefinito… qualsiasi allenatore, non uno in particolare.

A meno che non venga fornito un buon riferimento per spiegare perché l'uso di "un" è effettivamente errato nella frase di esempio, penso che resterò a favore dell'uso di "un" quando il sostantivo è indeterminato.

:hash:  ㆍitaliano ㆍgrammatica ㆍSentenceDiscussion

🦎  Imagination is the only weapon in the war with reality.  🦎
Antinomy - Imagination

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Return to “Inglese”