Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Languages that are spoken very clearly?

verdensrommet
United States of America

Languages that are spoken very clearly?

Post by verdensrommet »

Which languages (in your opinion) are spoken very clearly? (That is, languages where words aren't often smushed together or where letters/words are cut off)

Native: 🇺🇸 ~ B1: 🇪🇸 Upper A1: 🇳🇴 Image Lower A1: 🇩🇪 Dabbling: Image 🇸🇪 🇨🇳

Corinnebelle

Re: Languages that are spoken very clearly?

Post by Corinnebelle »

To whose ears? Aren't all languages like that to foreigners sometimes? But I suppose the Queen's English is more precise than like Cockney or street talk in New York.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ShinyZoroark

Post by ShinyZoroark »

Serbo-Croatian, in my opinion. It sounds like they pronounce every letter.

Native: 🇸🇪🇷🇺 Fluent: 🇬🇧 Intermediate: 🇩🇪🇫🇷🇭🇺 Learning: 🇷🇸🇱🇹Image🇫🇮🇦🇱🇭🇷🇧🇬🇨🇿🇱🇻🇮🇸🇹🇷🇧🇦🇯🇵🇷🇴🇸🇮🇨🇳🇪🇪🇲🇪🇵🇱🇬🇷Image

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

In Hebrew apparently they pronounced every letter, but I don't hear it sometimes, and it is fast. French cuts off letters at the end of words, but do you just mean letters they are supposed to pronounce or any version of the event?

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

ShinyZoroark

Post by ShinyZoroark »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:37 am

In Hebrew apparently they pronounced every letter, but I don't hear it sometimes, and it is fast. French cuts off letters at the end of words, but do you just mean letters they are supposed to pronounce or any version of the event?

Exactly. French speakers skip many of the letters, whereas Serbo-Croatian speakers seldom do. The only example I can think of is when -ao becomes -o in colloquial speech, for example stigao -> stigo.

Native: 🇸🇪🇷🇺 Fluent: 🇬🇧 Intermediate: 🇩🇪🇫🇷🇭🇺 Learning: 🇷🇸🇱🇹Image🇫🇮🇦🇱🇭🇷🇧🇬🇨🇿🇱🇻🇮🇸🇹🇷🇧🇦🇯🇵🇷🇴🇸🇮🇨🇳🇪🇪🇲🇪🇵🇱🇬🇷Image

Dodoa
Austria

Post by Dodoa »

As far as I know it usually comes down to glottal stops (short obstruction of air flow by the vocal cords during speech like in uh-oh) between vowels that prevent them from flowing together. According to my quick Wikipedia "research" Serbo-Croatian uses them a lot beween words and so does (High) German. This makes these languages easy to understand, but difficult to speak for people who are not used to them.

Native: 🇩🇪 C1: 🇺🇸 A1: 🇫🇷 󠁬

Sofia222677

Post by Sofia222677 »

I think Italian qualifies. It belongs to the group of "syllable-timed" languages (every syllable is pronounced at roughly the same pace). The only silent letter is 'h' at the beginning of a word, and that's it. There's no vowel reduction, no glottal stop, no guttural sounds; it has only seven vowel sounds, and those vowels are "pure" (definition straight from the Internet: "A pure vowel is a vowel which does not change in sound quality - your mouth position does not change during the vowel".)

:it: N - :gb: B2 (working towards C1) - Learning :de: - Dabbling in :cn:, :ru:

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

Sofia222677 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:23 am

I think Italian qualifies. It belongs to the group of "syllable-timed" languages (every syllable is pronounced at roughly the same pace). The only silent letter is 'h' at the beginning of a word, and that's it. There's no vowel reduction, no glottal stop, no guttural sounds; it has only seven vowel sounds, and those vowels are "pure" (definition straight from the Internet: "A pure vowel is a vowel which does not change in sound quality - your mouth position does not change during the vowel".)

I completely agree with you. One of the reasons I love Italian is that the pronunciation rules are so logical.

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Stasia
Poland

Post by Stasia »

Bolivian Spanish is very good. While there are places where Spanish is pronounced way too fast, and/or "eating" the final consonants (which makes speech less clear), Bolivian Spanish is relatively slow and fully pronounced.

Native: :poland:; Fluent: :es:, :us:; Getting there: Image; Intermediate: :fr:; Beginner: :ukraine:

Meli578588
Italy

Post by Meli578588 »

I understand accents pretty well because my family has them. 🙂

So, they all seem nice and clear.

Last edited by Meli578588 on Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Latvian and Hungarian

Return to “Discussions”