Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Native English speakers learning Polish

Jetdriver
Great Britain

Native English speakers learning Polish

Post by Jetdriver »

What has been your experience thus far learning this interesting language? I’m three months in, and have learned quite a bit of vocabulary and my passive skills are slowly improving. My active skills are still atrocious! Precisely how many years does it take before the grammar, the ‘endings’, the spelling and the accents all fall into place, and for meaningful sentences to be constructed in your head?!! :D

Native: 🇬🇧 Learning: 🇵🇱

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Re: Native English speakers learning Polish

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

I am not native English, so I can't really say anything about that aspect. I don't really do Polish seriously - maybe because I find it so much harder than the Romance languages. I started Italian later and almost feel a bit confident there now (ok, I had five years of Latin and five years of French at school).

With Polish, I think that if I really want to learn it, I should do a course with a real teacher. The hurdle is so much higher than with the Romance languages.

https://duome.eu/monique692886

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

gumisz
Poland

Post by gumisz »

Myślę, że trudność nauki języka polskiego dla Anglika jest taka sama jak nauka języka angielskiego dla Polaka. Ja uczę się języka angielskiego i mam trudności z wymową większości słów angielskich, głównie dlatego, że są litery w języku angielskim, których się nie wymawia. "Know" czy "no", czyta się tak samo a pisze inaczej?!

MoniqueMaRie
Germany

Post by MoniqueMaRie »

[mention]gumisz[/mention]
Thank you for reminding me that I also stumbled across English pronunciation rules (or non-rules) at some point.
If I had started learning Polish instead of English at the age of 10, I'm sure my view of the two languages would be very different.
In the meantime, I hardly notice the oddities in the English language, because I use English so naturally that even my mistakes don't bother me any more. On the other hand: English grammar is much easier than Polish (or German).
But yes: English pronunciation seems almost random - historically grown. And this does not only apply to proper names, which sometimes have additional peculiarities.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/English ... ing_reform

Here an extraction of the subchaper "ambiguity": "Such ambiguity is particularly problematic in the case of heteronyms (homographs with different pronunciations that vary with meaning), such as bow, desert, live, read, tear, wind, and wound. In reading such words one must consider the context in which they are used, and this increases the difficulty of learning to read and pronounce English."

Native :de: / using :uk: / learning :fr: :cn: :it: / once learnt Image / trying to understand at least a bit :poland:

Return to “Language”