Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

French Presidential elections - learning resources

Moderators: MoniqueMaRie, dakanga

dakanga

French Presidential elections - learning resources

Post by dakanga »

The French Presidential elections are coming up,
so here is some information about the Bureau de Vote and vocabulary
and even a Crossword puzzle.

Democracy and voting

Produced by Canada, this may also be of interest/use to some.

Vote étudiants :
Vote étudiant utilise les élections comme un moment d'apprentissage et permet aux enseignants de donner vie aux principes démocratiques dans leurs salles de classe.
Student Vote uses elections as a teachable moment and allows teachers to bring democratic principles to life in their classrooms.

CNCCEP : Commission Nationale de Contrôle de la Campagne électorale en vue de l'élection présidentielle.

• https://www.cnccep.fr/pdfs/Candidat-07- ... n-FALC.pdf
    Macron's manifesto (Profession de Foi) which has been rewritten by FALC which is the equivalent of the Campaign for Plain English so it is relatively easy to understand as the sentences are short and the flowery vocabulary has been omitted.

• https://www.cnccep.fr/candidats.html
    There is a link to a page where you can find all the manifestos in their full version and in the FALC version (ready to download)
    There are also sound files of people explaining what is in the photos and reading the manifestos for the sight impaired.
    You can listen on line and even download AND you can slow down the speed of the recordings. 0,25 is too deformed 0,75 is excellent.

The documents for the 12 candidates may not be available after Sunday - 10 April 2020, as there is a section Candidats 2ème tour so from Monday you may only be able to get the last two.

Mots croisés - Les élections

gscottoliver
United States of America

Re: French Presidential elections - learning resources

Post by gscottoliver »

Thank you, [mention]dakanga[/mention], but I’m still not sure what a tour is. From what I’ve seen on Twitter and in your post, I gather that there are two separate elections for different slates of candidates? And each one is called a tour ? Quite interesting.

ScottO
NATIVE: 🇺🇸 Studying: 🇫🇷 🇮🇹 🇪🇸 🇧🇷 Image Image

EranBarLev
Israel

Post by EranBarLev »

gscottoliver wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:35 pm

Thank you, @dakanga, but I’m still not sure what a tour is. From what I’ve seen on Twitter and in your post, I gather that there are two separate elections for different slates of candidates? And each one is called a tour ? Quite interesting.

Nope, tour = round. They have 2 rounds. The first round has multiple candidates. If no candidate wins a majority (which they hardly ever do), they hold a second round between the top 2.

🇮🇱N 🇬🇧C1 🇪🇸B2 🇵🇹B1 🇫🇷B1 🇸🇦A1 🇷🇺A1

vero-bis
France

Post by vero-bis »

EranBarLev wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:16 am

If no candidate wins a majority (which they hardly ever do), they hold a second round between the top 2.

It never happened that a candidate wins a majority at the first round. Because they often are more than ten candidates.

Véro
B2 : 🇺🇸 🇪🇸 / B1 : 🇧🇷 / A2 : 🇩🇪

Saperlipopette!

Post by Saperlipopette! »

Here are Results in one minute, and here's a five minute clip on the Reactions. Just like in 2017, it's Macron vs. Le Pen in the second round.

Mélénchon had 20% of the vote to finish 3rd. His advice for the second round was "Jamais nous ne perdrons votre confiance dans le démocratie DONC vous ne devez pas donner la voix à Madame Le Pen." Some of his supporters don't see it that way, though. The early projections for round two have Macron with a single digit lead.

Two of the Bloggers for students of French came out with videos about the elections:

I also found this article from France 24 with a two minute video on how they vote in France. They still use paper, envelopes, and ballot boxes. After you put the envelope in the ballot box, some guy says "À voté."

There's a funny song by the singer Gérard Lénorman on what he would do Si j'étais président back in 1980.

Here's link to to results of the first round for the presidential elections in the 5th republic.

Saperlipopette!

Macron won 58-42. France 24 had his victory speech at the tour Eiffel, it's about ten minutes.

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Thank you SOOO MUCH for sharing this link Saperlipopette!

For those at earlier stages of learning French, you may also like to listen to : https://www.france24.com/en/video/20220 ... ion-speech , which is translated into English.

And then listen again to it from the link by Saperlipopette.

Does anyone have the speech written in French ?

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Edited: as there were too many errors in what I tried to transcribe.

Here is link to a transcription: https://www.lavoixdunord.fr/1170955/art ... s-preferes

And here is what appears to be a transcription of the translation:

Saperlipopette!

i'm getting lots of intrusive ads in those lynx. is this any better for you-- it is for me.

http://www.tahiti-infos.com/Le-discours ... 08775.html

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Yes - that looks a clear link with less adds scattered through the text ! Though there are lot of adds around that page as well.

Thanks for finding it @Saperlipopette!, and what you have done to enable this language learning resource to be available to others.

I believe we can also provice a copy here a copy here ... and quoting those other two sources and importantly the link to actual speach. ...

REPLAY - Discours d'Emmanuel Macron après sa victoire au 2nd tour de l'élection présidentielle 2022

"Merci,
merci chers amis, chers compatriotes,

Ici à Paris et partout à travers le territoire, en Hexagone, dans nos Outre-mers comme à l'étranger.

Oui, avant toutes choses, merci.

... la foule applaudit ...

Après cinq années de transformations, d'heures heureuses et difficiles, de crises exceptionnelles aussi, ce jour du 24 avril 2022, une majorité d'entre nous a fait le choix de me faire confiance pour présider notre République durant les cinq années à venir.

... la foule chante : ... Macron président, une deux et cinq ans de plus.

Alors je veux remercier l'ensemble des militants, des volontaires, des compagnons de route et élus qui depuis le début m'accompagnent et ont rendu cette élection possible.

Je sais que vous n'avez pas ménagé vos efforts, avez donné tant d'énergie, partagé tant de convictions.

C'est en frappant au cœur que vient la vérité.
Merci et je sais ce que je vous dois. Merci.

... la foule chante : ... Macron président ...

Je veux remercier l'ensemble des Françaises et des Français qui au premier, puis au deuxième tour m'ont accordé leur confiance afin de faire advenir notre projet pour une France plus indépendante, une Europe plus forte. Et par des investissements et des changements profonds, continuer d'assurer des progrès concrets pour chacun en libérant la créativité, l'innovation dans notre pays et pour faire de la France une grande nation écologique.

Je sais aussi que nombre de nos compatriotes ont voté ce jour pour moi non pour soutenir les idées que je porte,
mais pour faire barrage à celles de l'extrême droite.

Et je veux ici les remercier et leur dire que j'ai conscience que ce vote m'oblige pour les années à venir. Je suis dépositaire de leur sens du devoir, de leur attachement à la République et du respect des différences qui se sont exprimées ces dernières semaines.

Je pense aussi à tous nos compatriotes qui se sont abstenus: leur silence a signifié un refus de choisir auquel nous nous devrons aussi de répondre.

Je pense enfin à ceux qui ont voté pour Madame Le Pen dont je sais la déception ce soir.

... la foule siffle...

Non... ne sifflez personne. Depuis le début je vous ai demandé de ne jamais siffler.

Parce que, dès à présent, je ne suis plus le candidat d'un camp mais le président de toutes et tous.

Et je sais que pour nombre de nos compatriotes
qui ont choisi aujourd'hui l'extrême droite, la colère et les désaccords qui les ont conduits à voter pour ce projet doivent aussi trouver une réponse. Ce sera ma responsabilité et celle de ceux qui m'entourent.

Car le vote de ce jour nous impose de considérer toutes les difficultés des vies vécues et de répondre avec efficacité aux colères qui se sont exprimées.

Mes chers compatriotes, mes chers amis, aujourd'hui, vous avez fait le choix d'un projet humaniste, ambitieux pour l'indépendance de notre pays, pour notre Europe, un projet républicain dans ses valeurs, un projet social et écologique, un projet fondé sur le travail et la création, un projet de libération de nos forces académiques, culturelles, entrepreneuriales.

Ce projet,

Ce projet, je veux le porter avec force pour les années qui viennent, en étant dépositaire aussi des divisions qui se sont exprimées et des différences. Et en veillant chaque jour au respect de chacun et en continuant d’œuvrer à une société plus juste et à l'égalité entre les femmes et les hommes.

Alors pour cela il nous faudra être exigeants et ambitieux, nous avons tant à faire et la guerre en Ukraine est là pour nous rappeler que nous traversons des temps tragiques où la France se doit de porter sa voix, de montrer la clarté de ses choix
et de bâtir sa force dans tous les domaines et nous le ferons.

Et il nous faudra aussi, mes amis, être bienveillants et respectueux, car notre pays est pétri de tant de doutes, de tant de divisions,
alors il nous faudra être forts, mais nul ne sera laissé au bord du chemin.

Alors il nous reviendra ensemble d’œuvrer à cette unité par laquelle, seule, nous pourrons vivre plus heureux en France, et relever les défis qui nous attendent.

Les années à venir à coup sûr ne seront pas tranquilles. Mais elles seront historiques et ensemble nous aurons à les écrire pour nos générations.

Alors, mes chers compatriotes,
mes chers compatriotes, c'est avec ambition et bienveillance pour notre pays, pour nous tous, que je veux pouvoir à vos côtés aborder les cinq années qui viennent.

Cette ère nouvelle ne sera pas la continuité du quinquennat qui s'achève mais l'invention collective d'une méthode refondée pour cinq années de mieux, au service de notre pays, de notre jeunesse.

... la foule chante : ... Macron a duré, c'est le président...

Chacun d'entre nous y aura une responsabilité, chacun d'entre nous aura à s'y engager. Car chacun d'entre nous compte plus que lui-même. C'est ce qui fait du peuple français cette force singulière que j'aime si profondément, si intensément et que je suis si fier de servir à nouveau.

Vive la République! Et vive la France!"

Source:
Transcript sources:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

I also have a new investigation to do for the post on numbers.
viewtopic.php?t=1610-numbers

The word :

quinquennat : quinquennium - a specified period of five years.

And thus the related terms of :

biennat : biennial - a period of every two years, every other year
triennat : triennium - a period of three years
quadriennat : quadrennium - a period of four years
septennat : a period of seven years

And a "saying" I am looking forward to remembering:

• C'est en frappant au cœur que vient la vérité.
    It is by knocking at the heart that the truth comes.
dakanga

Post by dakanga »

According to a discussion on discord by @Occamy, at https://discordapp.com/channels/1939589 ... 1124875404
That in France they are talking about increasing the term to septennat (a seven year period) !

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Have I got the chants of the crowd correct. ????

Saperlipopette!

la foule siffle, non?

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Merci

I accept your advice on this Saperlipopette!

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

Saperlipopette! wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:55 am

i'm getting lots of intrusive ads in those lynx. is this any better for you-- it is for me.

http://www.tahiti-infos.com/Le-discours ... 08775.html

you could just install adblock and you wouldn't get them :)

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

Oh [mention]LICA98[/mention] Thanks for your input and idea.

Keep ideas like this coming (providing they are with all the laws local and international we comply with ;P ). Yet - this is not what I see is an ultimate solution.

Also, where we can do this - to share resources that are available without a cost barrier for the learner, I am seeking to do this. And I expect to be held to account. While also that this sharing has to fit in with my life and real financial responsibilities, and - that to call it loud and clear - I make mistakes. And also things change.
While sometimes - I also know I am scratchy at times - I also get irritated and want to throw in my towel and worse. Yet that is not where my keel is. It is just the flapping of my sails that I need to adjust the trim on.

I do what I can to be true to my hopes, my keel. To be a support to enable others, and their learning and their journey. To what it means in escence that makes us a community for all of us. Respectful to all of us. To be in a place where ALL of us belong !

Back to the point - I also make mistakes. Thanks your forgiveness (I am hoping) when I make these mistakes.

Ta again for weighing in.

LICA98
Finland

Post by LICA98 »

dakanga wrote: Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:19 am

Oh @LICA98 Thanks for your input and idea.

Keep ideas like this coming (providing they are with all the laws local and international we comply with ;P ). Yet - this is not what I see is an ultimate solution.

so it's better to not have an ad blocker and to deal with ads then :roll:

dakanga

Post by dakanga »

NOOOOOOO !!!! that is not what I am saying.
Just that I do not think I am in a position to recommend that people use tools like ad blockers.
And I do my best where I can to try to pick references that have less ads - but there is not always options for that. And of course I do not know of every site out there on the great WWW.

Your okay LIA98 !
It is great to have your voice, and advice here !

Saperlipopette!

Earlier in the week, President Macron released a two-part video covering the major events of his first term in less than ninety minutes. I also added a couple of links about the project he did with a couple of you-tubers in 2021.

The final two links are a one-minute video with the portraits of the French presidents since 1848, and a 15 minute video by INA politics with the announcement of the results of the second round of the presidential elections from 1965 - 2017.

5 Ans à l'Elysée

du site Internet d'Emmanuel Macron

In 2021, Macron reached out to the you-tubers McFly & Carlito, asking them to make a video urging people to socially distance and to follow Covid protocols. If the video reached 10 million visitors, Macron promised the two access to the Elysée Palace for one of their videos. The two produced a song and won the bet easily.

Je me souviens was the video which won the bet.

McFly & Carlito filmed a half-hour video with an anecdote contest which reached even more views than the song.

Tous les présidents de la République depuis 1848

2nd Tour des Présidentielles
Comment on été annoncés les résultats des seconds tours des élections présidentielles du Cinquième République

Saperlipopette!

This weekend is the second round of voting for the National Assembly. This video from the Piece of French explains the process & why its important. The basic idea is that, if Macron's Ensemble! coalition, Renaissance, doesn't control a majority of seats in the National Assembly, they can't pass legislation to match their political philosophy.

C'est quoi, les élections législatives also explains the legislative elections.

Macron named Élisabeth Borne his prime minister. She's the second woman to be named PM but is also the first person to be replaced if Renaissance doesn't get their majority. Mélenchon didn't like her nomination at all: "She's a liberal like Margaret Thatcher".

I found a picture so you can a) see what Élisabeth Borne looks like, and B) You can see a French ballot box. The guy in the blue suit & tie can't wait for her ballot to flutter down to the bottom. He gets to say "à voté".

Mélenchon believes he's the logical replacement PM. Nupes is trying to get its core constituency out to vote. (The ad is good resource for students; most of the words we know, so we're not overwhelmed looking up what we don't know, like déferlez. And it has a transcript!)

Marine Le Pen said Mélenchon and Macron made a deal here, but where else can one be made ? Macron is hoping for Ensemble ! to get its majority & he'll cut a deal if he has to. He's not going to cut a deal with RN.

The second round is Sunday June 19. Si c'est votre tasse de tisane, buvez-la !

France 24

Internaute

À voté

![](

Return to “Resources”