Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Solresol

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Solresol

Post by panyamnyenyekevu »

[mention]Explorer[/mention] told me about this language. It would be a fantastic addition to duolingo. I like when duolingo adds languages that have to be learned from languages other than English. Like Guarani and Catalán. I think those are the only two so far but I think Chinese and Hindi are adding such soon. Solresol would have to be learned from French.

Regardless….

…I will really want to learn this language. I love the fact that it has a limited vocabulary and can be entirely learned in less than a year. (But can it also be built upon? Maybe construct five note words and rules for phrases and maybe introduce microtones?)

What do you say [mention]Explorer[/mention] - shall we both learn this language? That would be awesome!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solresol

🇺🇦

Explorer
Portugal

Re: Solresol

Post by Explorer »

Thanks for sharing [mention]panyamnyenyekevu[/mention] This is one of the most original conlangs I know. You can read it, write it, speak it, sing it or play it on an instrument :)

🇬🇧 🇪🇸 🇵🇹 🇫🇷 🇩🇪 | Learning: 🇯🇵 |

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

Doubtless a student of Solresol here:

(I don’t mean disespect to Solresol; just a lame excuse to share an amusing video.)

🇺🇦

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

(But can it also be built upon? Maybe construct five note words and rules for phrases and maybe introduce microtones?)

Sharps and flats?

The colors are based on the rainbow. How interesting to set every note to a different color.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

panyamnyenyekevu
Ukraine

[mention]Corinnebelle[/mention] “ Although there is essentially no limit to the number of notes between two Western semitones (e.g. C and C#), musical theorists have broken up the interval between two semitones into 100 parts, called “cents.” Humans can differentiate tones that are 5-6 cents apart, which means we can hear as many as 20 notes in between C and C#.”

From https://blog.discmakers.com/2017/08/mic ... the-notes/

In other words, microtones are in between sharps and flats. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microtones

🇺🇦

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Corinnebelle wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:35 am

The colors are based on the rainbow. How interesting to set every note to a different color.

That reminds me of a phenomenon called synesthesia.

Synesthesia is a neurological condition in which stimulation of one sensory pathway (for example, hearing) leads to involuntary experiences in a second sensory pathway (such as vision). Simply put, when one sense is activated, another unrelated sense is activated at the same time. This may, for instance, take the form of hearing music and simultaneously sensing the sound as swirls or patterns of color.

Synesthetes hear colors, feel sounds and taste shapes. It is said that some of the greatest geniuses of all time had this condition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Explorer[/mention] Have you heard of tetrachromats? It's getting a bit off subject, but they see more colors than the rest of us.

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/25-peopl ... ana-derval

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

Explorer
Portugal

Post by Explorer »

Corinnebelle wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:12 am

@Explorer Have you heard of tetrachromats? they see more colors than the rest of us.

Definitively more than I can see. I have an ocular photoreceptor disorder (cones and rods cells don't work as they are supposed to in my eyes). So on one hand I'm colorblind (I mix up colors), but on the other hand I can see much better in the dark than the "normal" people do.

I've always found fascinating the fact that we are all living in the same world, but at the same time we see the things that surround us in a very different way. Perhaps that's why I like all kinds of languages. Because learning a language gives you a new perspective to "see" and understand the world we live in. Solresol is a very interesting language in that regard.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

[mention]Explorer[/mention] I've heard people like you are very good at finding missing people. One wonders if the world is really real. They make some sort of glasses that allow colorblind people to see colors. Don't know if they'd work for you.

Corinnebelle

Post by Corinnebelle »

Soleresol

Music floats off the page;
Words hum in the brain;
Colors echo from the strings;
Light touches souls.

Beauty matches hearts;
Sounds feel thoughts;
Waves express ideas;
Melody tells words.

Return to “Conlangs”