Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Listening - Det er or de er

Moderator: SansEspoir

GolgariThug
Norway

Listening - Det er or de er

Post by GolgariThug »

Hi,
Is there a difference in pronunciation between det er and de er as I have struggled to tell the difference?

Tusen Takk!

weerwater

Re: Listening - Det er or de er

Post by weerwater »

I just asked Liv to pronounce this: "Det er; De er; Er det; Er de". With her pronounciation there's a clear difference between 'de' and 'det'.

Det er - De er - Er det - Er de.mp3
(20.71 KiB) Downloaded 39 times

But there are several exercises on Duo Lingo where the difference is less clear.
The repetition of the exercises will make you remember the context in which to use them of course. But it wil not help the listening.
The difference between 'Vi' and 'De' is also a tough one for the ears.

You can find Liv here: https://ttsmp3.com/text-to-speech/Norwegian/#

Last edited by weerwater on Thu Jun 09, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

liv
Norway

Post by liv »

Pronouns can be tough in daily speak as they are often unstressed and therefore tend to be short and truncated which is the case with det er and de er. English solves this with contractions but they are not official in Norwegian. I think DE and DET are always a bit different. Det has an ending similar to the e in THE (in front of boat) while de (when unstressed) is more E in The in front of eye (the eye)

Ace1
Norway

Post by Ace1 »

You can never confuse the pronunciation between "Det er" and "De er".
"Det" would be like an Italian/Spanish would pronounce "De".
and "De" would be like an Italian/Spanish would pronounce "Di".

Return to “Norwegian (Bokmål)”