Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Los abuelos vs nuestros abuelos

Moderators: xillegas, Stasia

Cifi

Los abuelos vs nuestros abuelos

Post by Cifi »

I translated "we love visiting our grandparents" to "nos encanta visitar a los abuelos".

I agree that it's not a literal translation, but I thought this would be something reasonably natural to say in Spanish, or am I wrong about this?
Isn't it normally understood that the speaker is referring to their own rather than someone else's grandparents?

https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/32527146

Last edited by Cifi on Tue May 31, 2022 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Native: :de: Intermediate: :uk: Lower intermediate: :es: Beginner: :fr: Absolute beginner: 🇬🇷
(If there are errors in what I'm writing in either language, please do correct me - I'll never take it as offense or something like that.)

Rickiefl
Scotland

Re: Los abuelos vs nuestros abuelos

Post by Rickiefl »

Yes, visiting “the” grandparents, makes sense in English and it would be understood to mean your own grandparents, not someone else’s. BUT, that’s not the sentence you were asked to translate into Spanish!

Native: British 🇬🇧 Scottish. Learning: French 🇫🇷,German 🇩🇪,Spanish 🇪🇸

gmads
Mexico

Re: Los abuelos vs nuestros abuelos

Post by gmads »

I thought this would be something reasonably natural to say in Spanish

Indeed it is! You are completely right in your assumption.

I'd say we tend to use an article when refering to more than one family member (e.g. ayer fui a visitar a los abuelos), and a possessive otherwise (e.g. ayer fui a visitar a mi abuela). Of course there would no problem in saying, ayer fui a visitar a mis abuelos, nor, ayer fui a visitar a la abuela. Unless there is complementary info (e.g. ayer fui a visitar a la abuela de mi novia) it is always understood that one talks about one's own family members.

We also use an article with body parts, for example, me lastimé la mano, me raspé la rodilla, me duele el estómago.

:hash:  ㆍespañol ㆍSentenceDiscussion

🦎  Amazonia is now becoming a carbon source.  🦎
Elysium - Master of the rainforest

🇲🇽 :us:  ·  :it: 🇧🇷  ·  :ru: 🇦🇪

Return to “Language”