Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

[ARCHIVE] ת and ט

Moderator: Corinnebelle

Corinnebelle

[ARCHIVE] ת and ט

Post by Corinnebelle »

ת and ט

VoyagerIII wrote:

Both letters are 't', what's the difference? (like, pronunciation or something)

Archive of comments

Tet or Tav ?

SimonMazzucca wrote:

Is there a way to know if an English T will be represented with a Tet or Tav ?

Archive of comments

Chet vs. Kaf, Tet vs. Tav, Shin vs. Samekh

Sean634070 wrote:

Hi, I'm new to Hebrew and love it for the etymology and history.
I am hoping for an explanation to the method of determining which letter to use when they are pronounced basically the same.
Thanks!

Archive of comments

Note: If you are someone who made a listed Duolingo post and don't want your question on Duome, please inform me immediately so I will remove it.

🇺🇸 L1 🇮🇱 Advanced beginner Duolingo levels

Languages without borders, languages bridging gaps, the Red Cross are my heroes.

jzsuzsi

Re: [ARCHIVE] ת and ט

Post by jzsuzsi »

I found a fun Youtube video

Now I steal one of the top comments ( by @nathanvalleymusic )

as a native hebrew speaker who grew up rarely writing and had to learn individual words at a later age, i came up with a few strategies for these irregularities (which are valid at least in native hebrew words)

1) alef/ayin (word-initially or medially): unfortunately, this one is guesswork. try alef though, it's slightly more common

2) alef/ayin/he (word-finally): he is waaay more common than alef. word-final alef is usually only found when it is part of the root or in aramaic loanwords. word-final ayin makes an extra /a/ sound after the final vowel, so unless the final vowel is /a/, you can tell if it's an ayin (for example, /yo'de.a/ is spelled <יודע>, not <יודה>

3) soft bet/vav: if /v/ appears word-initially, it's written with a vav. if it appears word-finally, it's probably a bet

4) hard kaf/kuf: if /k/ appears word-finally, it's written with a kuf (except some arabic loanwords and some acronyms)

5) soft kaf/khet: if /x/ appears word-initially, it's written with a khet. also, word-final khet adds an /a/ before it (like ayin). this way, you can differentiate between /o're.ax/ <אורח> and /'orex/ <אורך>

6) samekh/sin: samekh is much more common. if you have to guess, guess samekh

7) tet/tav: mostly guesswork, but affixes with /t/ are written with tav. the only case in which /t/ in an affix is written with a tet is in special cases in the hitpa'el stem in which tav becomes tet

it's hellish, but you learn to get by :) hope this helps!

Return to “Alefbet”