Dear anyone,
Your duolingo forum registration isn't automaticaly transferred to duome forum so in order to join duome forums you need to register with your existing or any other username and email; in any case it's advised that you choose a new password for the forum.
~ Duome Team

Question about "prefer"

PT7
Canada

Question about "prefer"

Post by PT7 »

We learn "Mae'n well gyda fi goffi na the" for a statement but "Ydy hi'n well gyda fi..." for a question. The two forms don't seem to match. I'm wondering why we don't use "Mae hi'n well gyda fi ..." for the statement form or alternatively Ydy'n well gyda fi" for the question form. Thanks!

val
Wales

Re: Question about "prefer"

Post by val »

I think both versions eg mae’n well and mae hi’n well etc are acceptable. I’ve tried a few out on Duolingo and they work. The problem for me is simply I’m not speaking Welsh with anyone to hear what happens in real life. Mind you, there seem to be so many variations in the language I guess what’s important is making yourself understood....

shwmae
Wales

Post by shwmae »

As [mention]val[/mention] said, you can usually drop the hi in Mae hi'n to make it just Mae'n e.g.

Mae hi'n bwrw glawMae'n bwrw glaw "It's raining"

Mae hi'n nabod dy deuluMae'n nabod dy deulu "She knows your family"

You can do the same with the question form too:

Ydy hi'n bwrw glaw?Ydy'n bwrw glaw? "Is it raining?"

Ydy hi'n nabod dy deulu?Ydy'n nabod dy deulu? "Does she know your family?"

Mae hi'n form) → Mae'n is very common in speech and writing but Ydy hi'n form) → Ydy'n isn't, so I think that's why Duolingo introduces the two phrases in the way it does.

It's worth mentioning too that although Ydy (hi)'n well gyda ti? makes grammatical sense, what you're actually more likely to hear for "Do you prefer?" in the wild is Oes well gyda ti?. It just sounds a lot more natural and less formal and it's the one I'd use with people to sound normal.

Caffi
Wales

Post by Caffi »

Oes well gyda ti... I like that. Useful tip! It's easier to say and fits nicely with the gyda pattern:

Mae'n ... gyda fi
Oes ... gyda fi?
Does dim ... gyda fi

Good to see there's still somewhere to get tips and help now the sentence forums are gone

Return to “Welsh”